Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 09-29-2009, 07:54 PM   #15
JoeP@TeamBeckyD

Drives: SS,PaceCar,ZL1,1LE,C7Z51,Z06,17-ZL1
We don't believe in "over MSRP" at our dealership. It usually brings more hard feelings than car sales. Just not a practice we believe in. OK if other dealers want to, that's their decision.
JoeP@TeamBeckyD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 08:23 PM   #16
swaugie

Drives: any chevy i feel like driving
even with the economy being what it is, i just had a dealer offer me msrp for a 2lt camaro and would have to transport it about 300 miles. so somewhere out there people are still willing to pay up.
swaugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-29-2009, 11:39 PM   #17
bhut

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2LT
I think that the dealers out here selling cars at MSRP or less have it figured out. As a customer, I feel better about the purchase and know I got a good deal relative to others in the market. This is a good business practice, because these dealers move cars, which in turn allows them greater access to desirable vehicles in even greater quantity. Quantity makes up for the lower profit margins, particularly when the quantities are several times that of the higher-charging dealers.

One dealer in my area will mark the Camaro up $5 - 7K to make a fast profit because there are enough 18-25 year olds at the navy base two miles up the road that the sticker price doesn't matter. This same dealer is not getting the allocations though and is buying stock from other dealers in the region. Having tried to do business with that dealership twice in the last 3 years, I feel they are untrustworthy, unhelpful and couldn't define customer service if you hit them with a dictionary. Sure they're making a profit, but I will never by a car from that dealership, and I steer anyone away I can. It's well within their right to sell a car for whatever people are willing to pay for it, but I won't be cutting them any slack just because I understand rudimentary economics. Just because you can do something doesn't mean you should.
bhut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 01:19 PM   #18
Arkanian
"World of Warcraft" Gamer

Drives: IBM 2SS/RS LS3 AFO
I don't know about most people, but I traveled two towns away to order my car because the dealer was the only one out of five I called that allowed me a test drive to determine whether or not I wanted to buy one. After the test drive we went ahead and gave a deposit thinking they were forth right, we ordered 8/31 and are still sitting at 1100. We have asked for our deposit back and they refuse to refund it, so at this point we are stuck on waiting for them to decide when the car will go to GM for ordering. Also we qualify for the supplier discount, they stated that they would honor it and we still can't get them to add it to the paperwork, and they keep forgetting we put a deposit and don't add that in either. So, with that said we are at the point of walking away and loosing the deposit or having to suck it up like their our employer. Any quick wit for this senario?
Arkanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 06:57 PM   #19
gt2serious
Dan Hall / SS-IN-TX

Drives: SW/2SS/RS/11-11-09 It's all mine!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Arkanian View Post
I don't know about most people, but I traveled two towns away to order my car because the dealer was the only one out of five I called that allowed me a test drive to determine whether or not I wanted to buy one. After the test drive we went ahead and gave a deposit thinking they were forth right, we ordered 8/31 and are still sitting at 1100. We have asked for our deposit back and they refuse to refund it, so at this point we are stuck on waiting for them to decide when the car will go to GM for ordering. Also we qualify for the supplier discount, they stated that they would honor it and we still can't get them to add it to the paperwork, and they keep forgetting we put a deposit and don't add that in either. So, with that said we are at the point of walking away and loosing the deposit or having to suck it up like their our employer. Any quick wit for this senario?
Find the name of a good attorney and have them contact or send a letter to your dealer principal to request your deposit back and then go place your order with a reputable dealer. If your current dealer has not actually had an allocation placed with GM for you they do not have a leg to stand on. If you get an attorney, they will have to pay their attorney to defend themselves which will in turn probably cost them alot more than your deposit.
Old 10-01-2009, 07:05 PM   #20
Sterling

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolee View Post
my dealer is selling everyone who orders at msrp but anyone who wants off the lot pays markup that is 5k but they said they would drop it to about 2.5k markup if the customer is serious
So you are only marking the car up by 5K to people that are NOT serious?
Sterling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:22 PM   #21
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache

Drives: Everything
Quote:
Originally Posted by Leolee View Post
my dealer is selling everyone who orders at msrp but anyone who wants off the lot pays markup that is 5k but they said they would drop it to about 2.5k markup if the customer is serious
Camaro on the lot? Ever think that if you sold at MSRP wouldn't have that problem? Just curious.
jrboyd_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 07:40 PM   #22
Mark A Collier Sr
Retired Army, 101st ABN

Drives: 2 SS/RS w/sunroof
I just do not like the idea of needing GAP insurance when you drive off the lot! I have only saved $10K for my down payment and to get my payments lower. For those dealers that play the "they have the supply... so they can demand the price" (supply and demand or fair market explained), it would take my hard earned money and put me at full price.

This car is a dream that many can't afford... they make stupid choices, and get suckered because they have a dream of something nice. The dealer (not all, but most) will put them in so deep in debt because "they are willing to pay more". I quit selling cars because I did not like "get everything you can" from the customer! Now it is worse than ever!

I am just glad there are honest dealers out there to make things right!
BORN ON 4 NOV 09 at 12:26pm VIN:63460~ HOME on 18 NOV 09!
"101BABY"
Mark A Collier Sr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 08:10 PM   #23
edneyens

Drives: 1SS/RS/M6-White/Beige
Quote:
Originally Posted by DocHolliday View Post
I wanted to get a reputable dealers opinion on this, but would also like the opinions of others as well.

We have all talked about dealers to avoid because they are asking above sticker for the car. My question is, why are those dealers considered "greedy?"

Don't get me wrong, I wouldn't have paid over sticker either, but....if I walked on a lot looking for say, a Tahoe and there were 15 on the lot and no line out the door to buy them, I would absolutely expect to pay less than sticker; based on supply and demand the market value is less than MSRP. So why when a car is in so high demand is it greedy for the dealer to want more than sticker which in many cases is the true market value?
This is the first car I bought where I paid MSRP, in the past I always negotiated reasonable profit for the dealer above invoice. I bought mine because of what I saw as value for the dollar. Looking at what is available I feel it is the best deal on the market. However if every dealer placed a big mark-up on this car it would have impacted my decision, I might have been forced to buy a Mustang. Damn, I am sure glad I found a reasonable dealer...
Old 10-01-2009, 08:40 PM   #24
jrboyd_1980
A ***'s Headache

Drives: Everything
Just one thing to remember. Negotiating resonable profit for dealers, basically hurts only one person.. the sales person. Cars don't have much mark-up now, and even $1000 dollar dealer discount, can drop a sales person commission to a mini deal.
jrboyd_1980 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #25
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue
I guess I look at it like this. This car isn't taking a lot of salesmanship to sell right now. How many people need to be talked into a camaro? I guess I may be different than most, I know what i want and then go pick her up.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2009, 10:22 PM   #26
Scrappy Doo

Drives: Callaway Rogue

Sorry.
Scrappy Doo is offline   Reply With Quote