Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

Phastek Performance

Old 12-02-2018, 11:34 AM   #2815
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
You have to get in line here and agree that the 18 GT A10 is a 12:50s car and the A8/A10 SS is a 11 sec car. It is impossible that the toqueless Coyote can run any times you outline above.You must also dismiss any reviews which favor the GT, kidding of coarse or am I
It’s impressive that the 18 GT A10 picked up 5 to 6 tenths over the 15-16-17 to get an edge in a drivers race with the SS A8/A10 or M6 (in its fourth year). :/

The point ....1/4 mile speed is not what got the GT PP2 and Bullitt a 10Best for 2019. “Edging closer to the Shelby's track-worthiness push it over the finish line.” Available mag ride, more power and the track package was sited as the difference makers.

Similarly, the V6, SS and ZL1 won the 2016, 2017 and 2018 because of the world class Alpha chassis that underpins every Camaro. Not being “fast”

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 11:46 AM   #2816
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
The GT should have been faster because there would have been no excuse if it wasn't. Plus look at the drastic changes it took for it to get to that performance level. So really, nobody is disputing that it is faster. We're just saying there isn't anything to brag about considering GM made no changes other than cosmetic and adding the A10. Nobody here is surprised or impressed with the Mustang nor are we disappointed in the Camaro. Can't say the same for the Ford camp for the 15, 16, and 17 MYs.
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 02:36 PM   #2817
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Idaho2018GTPremium View Post
And, truth be known, I've been a Camaro/GM guy my entire life (owned an '87 Z28 and modified 1995 Trans Am, and my Dad owns a 5th Gen SS), until the '18 GT came out...it looked and performed well enough that it turned me to the dark side over getting another GM pony car instead.
Not for nothin but more than likely you would have been just as impressed with the SS as you were with the GT. I'm not sure what type of performance vehicle you came from but it looks like your dad's 5th Gen SS was what you were familiar with before you got the GT. I wrote a review about the 18 GT and I noted that if you're coming from a 5th Gen SS, S197 GT, or 15-17 GT, then the 18 and up GT should impress you just like the 16 and up SS will. But, when I had my FBO 2010 SS, the modern cars were not fast enough for me to consider buying one although I did buy a 15 GT (more for the look and style of the car). The GT did nothing for me but I'm coming from a Hellcat and a ZL1. And it would not have been enough for me to go back to Ford. Even the GT350(R) isn't enough performance. But my gripes with Ford are based on the lack of quality they put into building their cars and all the issues that are associated with them. Even the top dog R has severe enough issues that I'd never be comfortable with one. Performance is one thing. But Ford needs to start putting more effort into the quality of their cars.
Old 12-02-2018, 03:44 PM   #2818
kttxz06

Drives: '18 Zl1. '18 GT350.
I'm gonna go look at a GT350 this week. Been slacking on getting a daily driver. Found a '17 w/900 miles on it. Black on black on black. $51k. We'll c if I can get another $1000 off. I can never pay asking so if they will do $49.999.99 I'll buy.

And yes, I already know it doesn't have the guts of the Zl1, but I've always like the 350. I'll do a JLT Intake/E85/Headers/Tune and call it a day.
Old 12-02-2018, 04:38 PM   #2819
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by kttxz06 View Post
I'm gonna go look at a GT350 this week. Been slacking on getting a daily driver. Found a '17 w/900 miles on it. Black on black on black. $51k. We'll c if I can get another $1000 off. I can never pay asking so if they will do $49.999.99 I'll buy.

And yes, I already know it doesn't have the guts of the Zl1, but I've always like the 350. I'll do a JLT Intake/E85/Headers/Tune and call it a day.
Good luck. I just can't trust those cars to be comfortable modding to the point of voiding the warranty. That engine is very expensive. And they don't have enough stock performance to satisfy me. They look nice tho. And I'm sure they're fun to drive. But it's a pass for me.
Old 12-02-2018, 05:23 PM   #2820
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
The GT should have been faster because there would have been no excuse if it wasn't. Plus look at the drastic changes it took for it to get to that performance level. So really, nobody is disputing that it is faster. We're just saying there isn't anything to brag about considering GM made no changes other than cosmetic and adding the A10. Nobody here is surprised or impressed with the Mustang nor are we disappointed in the Camaro. Can't say the same for the Ford camp for the 15, 16, and 17 MYs.
I didn't realize you were the spokesperson for the forum. Did I miss an election somewhere you were voted president or something? Maybe you mean you speak for the other brand fanboys, that I can understand.

Just for the record (I see you like that phrase), there are a lot of us here that are just car guys and don't really care what brand a car is as long as it's good. So please don't lump us in with the other fan boys when you go on another one of your countless rants. And looking at the small handful of other posters that support your view, I'd say your types are the exception, not the rule.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2018, 07:05 PM   #2821
kttxz06

Quote:
Good luck. I just can't trust those cars to be comfortable modding to the point of voiding the warranty. That engine is very expensive. And they don't have enough stock performance to satisfy me. They look nice tho. And I'm sure they're fun to drive. But it's a pass for me.

At that price point, you can't pass tho. I refuse to go up to $70 on a Hellcat. $90k on a Redeye. Or even low 60's on a Zl1 1LE. It will be my grocery getter anyways. Won't see any street racing. So, I'm sure some basic mods won't hurt. But, knowing me, I'll prob get into it, get tired of it, then go TT. haha.
Old 12-02-2018, 07:06 PM   #2822
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by chain777 View Post
I didn't realize you were the spokesperson for the forum. Did I miss an election somewhere you were voted president or something? Maybe you mean you speak for the other brand fanboys, that I can understand.

Just for the record (I see you like that phrase), there are a lot of us here that are just car guys and don't really care what brand a car is as long as it's good. So please don't lump us in with the other fan boys when you go on another one of your countless rants. And looking at the small handful of other posters that support your view, I'd say your types are the exception, not the rule.
Bee in your bonnet?
Old 12-02-2018, 07:12 PM   #2823
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
At that price point, you can't pass tho. I refuse to go up to $70 on a Hellcat. $90k on a Redeye. Or even low 60's on a Zl1 1LE. It will be my grocery getter anyways. Won't see any street racing. So, I'm sure some basic mods won't hurt. But, knowing me, I'll prob get into it, get tired of it, then go TT. haha.
If you're looking for a low mileage newer-ish one then yea that is a really good price. I'm just saying that knowing you, it isn't gonna satisfy your lust for speed, lol!! But it should be a fun car to whip around if you can get over the torqueless feel below 4K RPMs. I definitely wouldn't get another ZL1 if I were you so I agree with you there. And if you like handling then the HC is not a good choice so we agree there, lol!! Which really leaves only the GT350 as an option. So I can see why you would go that route.

Question tho, what about the Jackhammer? They are $40K on a base GT and you can add in options. Maybe a PP2 JH?That should put you in the $50K-ish area plus you'll have handling on par with the SS 1LE AND like 800 crank HP. And you could mod it further in the future. Have you considered that? Or is it just the GT350 that's got you??!!
Old 12-02-2018, 08:35 PM   #2824
kttxz06

Quote:
If you're looking for a low mileage newer-ish one then yea that is a really good price. I'm just saying that knowing you, it isn't gonna satisfy your lust for speed, lol!! But it should be a fun car to whip around if you can get over the torqueless feel below 4K RPMs. I definitely wouldn't get another ZL1 if I were you so I agree with you there. And if you like handling then the HC is not a good choice so we agree there, lol!! Which really leaves only the GT350 as an option. So I can see why you would go that route.

Question tho, what about the Jackhammer? They are $40K on a base GT and you can add in options. Maybe a PP2 JH?That should put you in the $50K-ish area plus you'll have handling on par with the SS 1LE AND like 800 crank HP. And you could mod it further in the future. Have you considered that? Or is it just the GT350 that's got you??!!

I did ask about those, but I deferred over to my Mustang buddies. I have quite a few who have 1000 hp builds. I asked about the Roush Stage 3. They basically told me to get that 350 for $50k. And if I ever wanted to, I can drop $20k and do a full build and push well over 1000 hp so. But, I have to stay away. Maybe I should just buy a fkn Camry.

The Zl1 is giving me headaches right now and I have a feeling I'm about to drop another $5k just to get it running right so. It's to the point to where it's about to become a full on drag car that I can drive on the streets. It's in the shop more than on the streets now so. I just wanted a decent daily and I've always loved how mean the 350 looks. And I figured at $50k, eh, why not. It's damn nearly new IMO. I can drop about $2500 in it, get a good 60 hp, maybe more depending on who is doing my tuning and live with it. Keep the miles low and resell in a year. I don't think I'd take much of a hit. I could prob put 5k miles on and it and sell it for $45k this time next year so. Not a bad rental if you ask me.
Old 12-02-2018, 08:55 PM   #2825
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
I did ask about those, but I deferred over to my Mustang buddies. I have quite a few who have 1000 hp builds. I asked about the Roush Stage 3. They basically told me to get that 350 for $50k. And if I ever wanted to, I can drop $20k and do a full build and push well over 1000 hp so. But, I have to stay away. Maybe I should just buy a fkn Camry.

The Zl1 is giving me headaches right now and I have a feeling I'm about to drop another $5k just to get it running right so. It's to the point to where it's about to become a full on drag car that I can drive on the streets. It's in the shop more than on the streets now so. I just wanted a decent daily and I've always loved how mean the 350 looks. And I figured at $50k, eh, why not. It's damn nearly new IMO. I can drop about $2500 in it, get a good 60 hp, maybe more depending on who is doing my tuning and live with it. Keep the miles low and resell in a year. I don't think I'd take much of a hit. I could prob put 5k miles on and it and sell it for $45k this time next year so. Not a bad rental if you ask me.
I've never seen a problem free build pushing as much HP as you're pushing. There will always be something to go wrong when you get into heavily modding any car. Which is why I stopped. I wanted to go big and have 2 DD 1000+ HP cars. But one thing I hate is having to worry about something going wrong out of the blue. So I'll settle for what my cars are making now. Maybe a tune, pulley, and LTs but that will be it. When I want more, I'll upgrade to a Z06, Redeye, or whatever they come out with in the next year and a half. Or a M5 which is on my list next, lol!! Thing runs a 10.9 and it's a sedan with AWD!!

If you're planning on doing a crazy build with that GT350 or think you'll be tempted to, which I'm sure will happen, then you're in for a lot of money out of your pocket. I'd say $20K minimum.
Old 12-02-2018, 09:42 PM   #2826
kttxz06

Quote:
I've never seen a problem free build pushing as much HP as you're pushing. There will always be something to go wrong when you get into heavily modding any car. Which is why I stopped. I wanted to go big and have 2 DD 1000+ HP cars. But one thing I hate is having to worry about something going wrong out of the blue. So I'll settle for what my cars are making now. Maybe a tune, pulley, and LTs but that will be it. When I want more, I'll upgrade to a Z06, Redeye, or whatever they come out with in the next year and a half. Or a M5 which is on my list next, lol!! Thing runs a 10.9 and it's a sedan with AWD!!

If you're planning on doing a crazy build with that GT350 or think you'll be tempted to, which I'm sure will happen, then you're in for a lot of money out of your pocket. I'd say $20K minimum.

Haha, yea. I can do a simple Paxton build. Do some internals. Prob all in w/labor for around $15k so not bad. But, there's no need to build 1000 hp when that gets you sauced here in Houston. You need 1100-1300 to play ball.

I haven't even been out yet on my new power to do any roll racing so. But, I have a ton of folks calling me out. They want a piece of the ZlJuan. Can't wait to give em the sauce. Got to get this trans issue worked out. I didn't have any issues until we put in the HP TCM so. Who knows now. It was running perfectly fine up until then. The night b4 our track day we spun on the dyno and yanked out 1190 to the wheels, so we know we are good for around 1250 on 116. But, we were fine and loaded it up.
Old 12-02-2018, 10:14 PM   #2827
Idaho2018GTPremium

Drives: 2021 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Not for nothin but more than likely you would have been just as impressed with the SS as you were with the GT. I'm not sure what type of performance vehicle you came from but it looks like your dad's 5th Gen SS was what you were familiar with before you got the GT. I wrote a review about the 18 GT and I noted that if you're coming from a 5th Gen SS, S197 GT, or 15-17 GT, then the 18 and up GT should impress you just like the 16 and up SS will. But, when I had my FBO 2010 SS, the modern cars were not fast enough for me to consider buying one although I did buy a 15 GT (more for the look and style of the car). The GT did nothing for me but I'm coming from a Hellcat and a ZL1. And it would not have been enough for me to go back to Ford. Even the GT350(R) isn't enough performance. But my gripes with Ford are based on the lack of quality they put into building their cars and all the issues that are associated with them. Even the top dog R has severe enough issues that I'd never be comfortable with one. Performance is one thing. But Ford needs to start putting more effort into the quality of their cars.
My last car was a lightly modified MazdaSpeed3 (CAI, tune, 3" race pipe), so, it was quick, practical, and fun, but obviously nothing in the realm of a new GT or SS. I've driven my Dad's 5th gen SS several times but have never pushed it, but have always enjoyed driving it. I admit, I didn't test drive a new SS. I don't regret not doing so, but in hindsight probably should have. But, I like the looks of the '18 Mustang GT PP1 so much more than the SS, and I found such a good deal, that I don't think I would have chosen the SS over it. I was a little worried my Dad would disown me (not really); he's been a life long Chevy guy as well - hot-rodded '65 Nova, pristine 1969 350/350 Corvette, and his Camaro SS.

The other thing is, I'll most likely never track the GT PP1, or an SS 1LE if I had chosen it, or any car that is my daily driver. So, I'll never push the GT to the point where the 1LE's track prowess would have made a difference. The GT handles perfectly fine enough for me on the street with the PP1, so I don't need the extra track capabilities of a PP2 or 1LE level car. GT PP1 gives me enough options for DD, styling, good braking, and taking on the occasional twisty road I may encounter.

Since I bought my GT a few weeks ago, my wife has reminded me several times how I always used to say I'd never buy a Mustang/Ford. Ha, eating crow now (this one tastes good, though), the bonus is she loves the car (and she doesn't like the looks of the Camaro). Bonus for me.

Past:
2018 Mustang GT Premium w/ PP1, MR, and A10
2007 MazdaSpeed3
1995 Pontiac Trans Am
1987 Camaro Z28

Idaho2018GTPremium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2018, 07:34 AM   #2828
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
You could do the first S550, LTx engine swap.

LT367/535 HP, 470 lb-ft crate engine ~$9,100. Solve that no low end grunt problem

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote