Homepage Garage Wiki Register Community Calendar Today's Posts Search
#Camaro6
Go Back   CAMARO6 > CAMARO6.com General Forums > 6th gen Camaro vs...

AWE Tuning

Old 08-06-2019, 03:31 PM   #2913
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Drives: 2017 Camaro ZL1 A10
So after much debating and discussing things and talking with a few guys who know cars like the back of their hands and after looking up other cars with mid/rear engine designs and DCT (Huracan, Spider, Gallardo, R8, etc)...I gotta say, I think I was wrong on my initial assessment of what the C8 will be capable of. I'm thinking the base C8 will be good for a low 11 and the Z51 just might be in the high 10s. I'm thinking this car is going to perform like nothing we've seen before. Although all those other cars I mentioned have more HP, they seem to have less TQ. And I do believe that GM severely underrated that engine and it's output is more like 520-550. With the weight of it, the design, trans, and engine, the C8 is going to be something special. I even think the base C8 without the Z51 package is going to beat the standard ZL1 and probably even the ZLE. Here are some new predictions:

Base:
0-60 3.1-3.3
1/4 mile 11.1 - 11.3

Z51:
0-60 2.7 - 2.95
1/4 mile 10.8 - 11.1
Quote:
Originally Posted by newmoon View Post
I have a questions since all of you Camaro owners will soon be selling your SS, 1LE, ZL1, and ZL1Es to go buy a base C8, do you need to start a www.corvette8.com website? Because it looks like this one is going to die off with all of you bailing out of your youth inspired Camaros for the new nursing home special.
I'm not even gonna engage this but...why are you soo bitter lately? What's gotten into you?
BlaqWhole is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:20 PM   #2914
Ethanolic
Banned

Drives: F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by 13vertss View Post
Hows is talking about the C8 any different then all the talk about the GT500. 95% of the people talking about the gt500 wont own one, yet its new and talk of the town. The C8 is the same. Heck your here and your still in a Boss.
Well, this is a GT500 vs ZL1 thread for starters.
Ethanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:39 PM   #2915
chain777

Drives: Slow
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ethanolic View Post

The ZL1 is the presumed loser, so the goalposts have been moved. The C8 is the new competitor for the Gt500 since the ZL1 can no longer compete. Somebody needs the change the thread title.
chain777 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 04:40 PM   #2916
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
So what? How many times has it gone off course with people bringing up S197 Boss 302s and everything else that isn't part of the topic? The main discussion is the ZL1 vs GT500 which most of us think that the ZL1 will win around a track and the GT500 will win in the quarter mile. Now the focus has shifted to the C8 because it is gonna destroy anything that Ford has.
Old 08-06-2019, 05:56 PM   #2917
Ethanolic
Banned

Drives: F150
Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
So what? How many times has it gone off course with people bringing up S197 Boss 302s and everything else that isn't part of the topic? The main discussion is the ZL1 vs GT500 which most of us think that the ZL1 will win around a track and the GT500 will win in the quarter mile. Now the focus has shifted to the C8 because it is gonna destroy anything that Ford has.
Look genius, he asked how talking about the GT500 was different than talking about the C8. It’s a GT500 thread... that’s how it’s different.

Those cars you listed are at least variations of the same platform. Now you want to drag in a mid engine sports car? You sound desperate.
Ethanolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 06:21 PM   #2918
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Drives: 2017 Camaro Fifty SS Convertible
Quote:
Look genius, he asked how talking about the GT500 was different than talking about the C8. It’s a GT500 thread... that’s how it’s different.

Those cars you listed are at least variations of the same platform. Now you want to drag in a mid engine sports car? You sound desperate.
You should read the C8 vs GT500 thread on M6G. Lots of different cars discussed that aren’t in the thread title.
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Martinjlm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:01 PM   #2919
newmoon

Drives: 2019 GT350
Let's have a show of hands who in this thread will absolutely be trading in or selling their Camaro for a C8 base? If you own a ZL1 I think your nuts not waiting for the Z06, but I understand the gotta have the latest and greatest. Let's be honest now.
2012 SRT Challenger 392 auto 12:40s 112 stock
2012 Ford Mustang 5.0. Brembo, 3:73s
2010 SS, LS3, Cammed, LTs, 12:20s
2004 Redfire Cobra, Pullied & Tuned
1986 GT, Ed Curtis 347ci, 11:20s motor. 10:30s 100-hp shot
newmoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 07:06 PM   #2920
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:

Variations of the same platform? WTF are you even talking about? So the S197 Boss 302 is a variation of the 2020 GT500?? You need to go read a book or something because you clearly have no idea what you're talking about if you believe that nonsense. You just want to bicker and start shit for some damn reason. The only thing you ever have to say is something arrogant and haughty. Which is not surprising coming from a Mustang fanboy stuck on a Camaro forum. Look chief, nobody cares what you have to say. If you don't like the progression of this thread then boohoo. We'll talk about what we want to talk about. You don't run things here. You don't own any of the vehicles that are being discussed, you will not be buying any of the vehicles being discussed, nor do you have anything important to add other than your condescending trash talking. Get a life dude.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:13 PM   #2921
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
You should read the C8 vs GT500 thread on M6G. Lots of different cars discussed that aren’t in the thread title.
He is just trying to start a fight or something. Apparently he has a golden ticket from someone that allows him to behave however he wants and disrupt the threads so he likes to walk around fluffing himself. Luckily for us we only have to tolerate him a few times and then he disappears for a while. So just let him talk. He'll be leaving soon and then we won't have to deal with him until he returns again.
Quote:
Let's have a show of hands who in this thread will absolutely be trading in or selling their Camaro for a C8 base? If you own a ZL1 I think your nuts not waiting for the Z06, but I understand the gotta have the latest and greatest. Let's be honest now.
I am NOT trading in my ZL1 for a C8. However I am giving up the Hellcat for one. I was actually going to go buy my allocation earlier today but I decided to wait a few more days. I'll probably do it by the end of next week. And yes, I do want the latest and greatest. I work hard and I feel like I deserve to buy whatever I want with my hard earned money. Just like everyone else. I'd be perfectly happy in a base 2LT non-Z51. Or a 2LT Z51 if I can get into one for under $75K.

Oh, and just so you know...getting one now will not in any way hinder me from getting a Z06 when they come out. The only thing that would hinder me from getting a Z06 is if the MSRP is more than I'm willing to spend.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:17 PM   #2922
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Oh...and I bet the base C8 will beat a ZL1. The C8 is going to straight up rip the competition to shreds. It has already been stated that the C8 Z51 will outperform everything except for the C7 ZR1 in every performance aspect. The non-Z51 won't be far behind it. So if it is outperforming the C7 Z06/Z07, then it's gonna beat the standard ZL1. And the base should match the ZL1.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:45 PM   #2923
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
My original plan was to wait until 2021 or 22 and consider a base + handling package GT500. By then both kids would be out of college and my Camaro would be paid off and I could keep both.

Even though I had a very good idea what C8 would be and how it would perform (ok, <3.0s was a pleasant surprise), the price position relative to the GT500 blew me away. I was expecting base car about $70k. Now I’m more likely going to go for either a C8 3LT + Z51 or see what the Grand Sport pricing will be and maybe pop for that one. Keeping the Camaro because.... well,.... convertible.

Personally, I don’t have to have the latest and greatest. That’s why I would have been fine with a GT500 base + handling instead of a full blown CFTP. When I bought my Camaro (Fifty 2SS Convertible) all I knew for certain was that I was getting a V8 convertible. If I wanted latest and greatest I could have gone for a Z06 convertible or a ZL1 convertible, but chose the Fifty 2SS Vert. Likewise with C8 I could wait for a Z06. Actually, by the time I buy, Z06 should be available. I just doubt I NEED a Z06. A Grand Sport or a Z51 will do just fine.

One thing that could turn this plan upside down would be if by then there is a nicely executed, high performance, reasonably priced EV
A8 | MRC | NPP | Nav | HUD | GM Performance CAI | Tony Mamo LT1 V2 Ported TB | Kooks 1-7/8” LT Headers | FlexFuel Tune | Thinkware Q800 Pro front and rear dash cam | Charcoal Tint for Taillights and 3rd Brakelight | Orange and Carbon Fiber Bowties | 1LE Wheels in Gunmetal Gray | Carbon Fiber Interior Overlays | Novistretch bra and mirror covers | Tow hitch for bicycle rack |

Last edited by Martinjlm; 08-06-2019 at 07:55 PM.
Old 08-06-2019, 07:50 PM   #2924
Martinjlm
Retired from GM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlaqWhole View Post
Oh...and I bet the base C8 will beat a ZL1. The C8 is going to straight up rip the competition to shreds. It has already been stated that the C8 Z51 will outperform everything except for the C7 ZR1 in every performance aspect. The non-Z51 won't be far behind it. So if it is outperforming the C7 Z06/Z07, then it's gonna beat the standard ZL1. And the base should match the ZL1.
Where’d you hear this? Not bustin’ your chops, I really am interested in getting more detail on C8 capability and I would love to work backward from the source of this statement.

Old 08-06-2019, 07:52 PM   #2925
lt4camaro

Drives: 2021 LT1 10 speed auto
Quote:
The C8 base will 0-60 and probably 0-100 the shit out of a ZL1 and out handle it on a short low speed road course, all for the same money.
lt4camaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2019, 08:39 PM   #2926
BlaqWhole
Account Suspended

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martinjlm View Post
Where’d you hear this? Not bustin’ your chops, I really am interested in getting more detail on C8 capability and I would love to work backward from the source of this statement.
I did not take it as you bustin my chops. I was going to post the link but I was too lazy to go back and find it. I was hoping that nobody would ask for it, lol! Oh well. Here is a quote from the link. It was a discussion with what seemed like a Q&A segment from the crowd to Ed Piatek...or it was an interview between Ed Piatek and Doug Feehan. To cut it short here is what was said:

"-When asked how they can claim the Stingray Z51 performance is superior to the current Z06; he gave a fascinating mini course on the performance advantages of the new C8 design and confirmed that "yes, it will outperform the current Z06 in every way. Our forum has already many thread discussion the details."

And here is the link to the entire thing.

https://www.midenginecorvetteforum.c...eorge%E2%80%9D

I'm actually glad you asked for the link because I figure if anyone can make heads or tails of whether or not this is all true it would be you.