Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-08-2010, 10:06 PM   #29
VolkCamaro

Drives: 2008 Chevrolet Silverado
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchwarzerDrache View Post
I think the OP was pretty clear that he wants it done correct, period. Either it is right or it is not. Just my opinion.
I agree, but he still had to test it.
VolkCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:08 PM   #30
SchwarzerDrache
No, it is not an SS

Drives: SIM 2LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CUPRA View Post
Another thing to consider is this: There is a possibility that the flakes in the paint are sprayed in a different direction on the bumper compared to the rest of the car, so the light would hit them differently, causing them to look off.

I have an IOM 2011 2SS and the front bumper looks slightly lighter than the rest of the car, depending how you see it in the light.

Love the CGM Stripes!
SchwarzerDrache is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:15 PM   #31
Dexman1349
2010 2SS/RS M6

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS M6
I had the same issue with my Grey jetta (the one I traded in for my Camaro). It took them 4 tries over the course of a month to get the paint right. Not once did that car leave the lot over that month as I refused to accept paint that didn't match. It matched when I bought it (meaning the "base materials" didn't influence the colors), so it was perfectly reasonable for it to match after it was fixed. The insurance company agreed.
Dexman1349 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 10:22 PM   #32
Capthowdy

Drives: 2010 2SS RS IOM
Send a message via Yahoo to Capthowdy
a porcupine has quills.... man I watch too much Discover......
Capthowdy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2010, 11:14 PM   #33
marcao

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Capthowdy View Post
a porcupine has quills.... man I watch too much Discover......
Thanks for the info!!!
Damn that made me feel a little stupid... I guess I should watch a little more Discovery... But English not being my mother tongue, sometimes I have a hard time finding the right translation for the French word I have in my mind.

Now back to the topic...

CUPRA: you're right in what you say. But since my rear fascia pretty much matches the rest of the car, I expect the front one to be as close as possible.

slick rick: the link you posted is very informative.
marcao is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2010, 11:26 PM   #34
marcao

Well, for those who read this thread and are interested in the outcome, I have good news -- at least for me. My painter proceeded to a 3rd try on my front fascia, using the same specs he used the 1st time (i.e. the GM mixing formula). He told me he just shoot it differently. I don't exactly know how differently he did it, but I know my front end looks really good now. I looked at it at different angles and under different kind of lightings, and I wouldn't say it is a perfect match since I don't think you can achieve perfection in that kind of process, but I would say it is real close to a perfect match. I'm really happy with the final result. I'll post pics soon to show you the new look of my car, because with the new paint, came a new grill, the Heritage Grille. And I think it makes my car looks real good.

So thanks everyone for your concern and comments. And remember, if you ever have to get a paint job on your car, pick a reliable shop, and make sure they do the job according to your expectations.
Old 07-12-2010, 07:00 AM   #35
BICHN CAMARO

Drives: without a license: ss 6m
Here is the scoop on collision refinishing.

A body shop will use one particular brand of paint to use in refinishing. DuPont, PPG, Standox and so on. Each company has its own system. Most companys have a number of different formulas for the same color. These are called variances. The painter must select the closest variance to match the car. Even if he/she gets that correct you still must deal with what is called the FLOP. The metallics/pearls in the color reflect light differently at different angles. If a part is painted and then placed on the car it will reflect light differently than the rest of the car which was painted continually. The only way to get a no see um match is to blend into the a-joining panels. It was great that the shop stuck with it! You should commend them for the effort. ( I guess you did)
and they all ride the bus!

Dead Milkmen
BICHN CAMARO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 07:23 AM   #36
jonm38

Drives: 2016 Siliverado LT. Camaro SS
I have had my Front Right repainted, the dealership color matched it. They did a good job.

USN - 1990 - 1994

2010 Camaro 2SS Red Jewel
jonm38 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 08:52 AM   #37
King Mouse

Drives: EXT
Look at your mirrors. They are also lighter (flake is closer to the surface).
King Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2010, 12:49 PM   #38
Synergy Green

Drives: 2010 Synergy Green Edition Camaro
Send a message via Yahoo to Synergy Green
Those of you who have never worked in a body shop have no idea how hard it is to match today's modern paint colors. It's not like painting your fence at home or touching up your nails. Many things influence auto paint. Multiple chemicals go into the mixture including the color, hardeners, reducers, metal flake (that comes in 4 different sizes by the way), etc. The most important is the material it is painted on. I have seen cars come in here from the factoy where the bumpers look completely different. This is not because the robot at the factory screwed up and painted it the wrong color. Bumpers are not painted with the rest of the car, they are sprayed at another facility and mounted on the already refinished vehicle.

I havent seen your car so I cant comment on it, I can just tell you that you are being given the correct information by the professionals you are dealing with. Work with them, do not be a screamer or whiner, they will shut down their help and you will not get what you want.

Please feel free to PM me if you have any questions or need some help from someone unbiased.
Old 07-12-2010, 01:38 PM   #39
Tessa
Mischief Managed

Drives: 2SS/RS RJT with silver rallys
My front bumper matches perfectly - but then I had it replaced after an incident last winter....
The body shop that did my car has a machine that will perfectly match the paint of any car - and they also blend coat it onto the car...

I also had the back bumper done last month after some guy hit me and brought it to the dealership - and the paint matches perfectly....
Old 07-12-2010, 04:30 PM   #40
marcao

Quote:
Originally Posted by BICHN CAMARO View Post
Here is the scoop on collision refinishing.

A body shop will use one particular brand of paint to use in refinishing. DuPont, PPG, Standox and so on. Each company has its own system. Most companys have a number of different formulas for the same color. These are called variances. The painter must select the closest variance to match the car. Even if he/she gets that correct you still must deal with what is called the FLOP. The metallics/pearls in the color reflect light differently at different angles. If a part is painted and then placed on the car it will reflect light differently than the rest of the car which was painted continually. The only way to get a no see um match is to blend into the a-joining panels. It was great that the shop stuck with it! You should commend them for the effort. ( I guess you did)
Yes I did. At some point, they talked about blending into the fenders, but I forbid them to do it. I want to keep my original paint untouched on all other panels. I spoke on the side with the painter and he totally agreed with me and promised he will not do it. I think we got along pretty well and I can trust him completely.
Old 07-12-2010, 05:05 PM   #41
Memphis SS

Drives: 2017 SS A8 Hyper Blue/White Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Atti2de View Post
Ya been thinking I want my wing and rear bumper repainted...my nose and gas tank came out great...
I got real lucky on my 2011 white is very close but I saw one 2010 white SS I wouldn't consider because the bumper was so yellow looking from the rest of the car. If your thinking of painting the rear wing and rear bumper you might want to check your lower rocker panels. They are plastic as well and the 2010 I looked at the color was off on the front, rear bumper and the lower rocker panels looked like crap.
Old 07-19-2010, 11:24 PM   #42
ACS Composite

Drives: 2010 Camaro
I am sure I have replaced the front end of my car more than anyone else... if you're gonna change, might as well go better ;-)

ACS Composite is offline   Reply With Quote