Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 10-04-2010, 09:14 AM   #1
katatonia

Drives: 2010 SW 2SS/RS 6M
warped rotors-twice!

I've had to get my rotors turned- shaved (whatever u call it) twice in 7K miles on my 2ss.

Has anyone else had this issue?

I'm not driving through puddles. I'm not spraying water on my rotors when they're hot. I'm not riding the breaks. The service department didn't have any advice except to keep bringing it in since it's under warranty.
katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:17 AM   #2
Michael_Js
SoCal C5 Family Member

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS - Black w/IOM; 6M
Send a message via AIM to Michael_Js Send a message via MSN to Michael_Js
Tell them to give you new ones the next time! Sounds like it is a rotor issue...
2010 Black 2SS/RS; 6M; IOM, GFX, sunroof; ADM Race CAI; Zoomers CB; Viper Alarm; Pdaft F&R sways, Adj Endlinks, Rtrailing arms, Camber kit, strut brace, Front Trailing Arm Bushing; SLP Skip-Shift Elim; Tinted lights/windows; Hurst Short-throw; LoJack; Door & Dash ABL Mods; ********; JBA Shorty headers; AACStyle LEDs; Stillen DS rotors, Hawk Ceramic pads; Havoc Blk Chrome wheels: 20x9s; Lingenfelter Blk Al Pedals; RevXtreme Catch Can; Goodridge SS lines; Ported TB; RK Sport hood; Hotchkis chassis brace; KW V3 coilovers;
Michael_Js is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:18 AM   #3
JJ2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Wow....

There must be a problem.....
JJ2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:20 AM   #4
Crowley
Okie doke

Drives: 2012 GT500
Stop Standing on the breaks j/k

I'd ask for new rotors ..

Crowley
Old 10-04-2010, 09:23 AM   #5
DjfunkmasterG
Indie Zombie Film King

Drives: 2011 LS M6
Is this an Automatic or stick? Keep in mind that an Automatic doesn't have the donwforce when it shifts through the gears as you slow down like a Manual will have and if you're a late braker.... you can warp rotors quickly.

Most people don't give themselves enough room to brake and then have to press harder in order to stop... you may not think you're doing but you are. Remember because of the size and weight of this vehicle you need to give yourself 160ft to go from 60-0 without issue... anything less than that in distance will cause you to heat up the rotors which in turn causes warping.

If you own a stick use the gears to aid in slowing the car down. I see a lot of stick owners braking without gearing down and then only gearing down once they are at a stop.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:26 AM   #6
SSLarry

Drives: 2SS LS3
By grinding rotors (even once) you INCREASE the chance of future warping because the thinner rotors can't take the heat.

Get new rotors soon. I hope you can get GM to pay for it.

2010 CGM 2SS LS3, born: 4/10
SSLarry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:33 AM   #7
omegaman

Drives: very poorly
Send a message via AIM to omegaman
Quote:
Originally Posted by katatonia View Post

I've had to get my rotors turned- shaved (whatever u call it) twice in 7K miles on my 2ss.

I had this problem on my '06 Civic. After having the front rotors turned twice under warranty the dealer put on new rotors and pads. Problem stopped and I have 40k on this set (civic very light so pads should last 50k +).
Old 10-04-2010, 09:34 AM   #8
Hoss

Drives: 2004GMC Extended Cab
What are the last 5 numbers of your vin# there were some problems with the early manufactured and numbered Camaros with brembo brakes.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:39 AM   #9
markmass
TRI-COUNTY CAMAROS

Drives: 2SS/RS Oct 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by katatonia View Post

I'm not driving through puddles. I'm not spraying water on my rotors when they're hot. I'm not riding the breaks. The service department didn't have any advice except to keep bringing it in since it's under warranty.
Im at 8000 miles on my Auto 2ss. (October 2009) ..no problems. Funny your service dept says keep bringing it in....once more and you have a lemon....(Florida Lemon Law)

Did the same with the early Nissan Armada's - rotors kept warping, Nissan gave me a fat check, then i turned it in end of lease
GET-TORQ custom CAM 223/243 LSA113, Full LS3 conversion, 3200 stall Multi-Disk TC from Circle-D, B&M Supercooler to cool that tranny down....1 7/8" Kooks Headers and High flowCats. MACH XL Catbacks. Eibach springs, R2C Performance CAI, powdercoated calipers, Footwell lighting in tune with dome lights, tints, ABL Lighting, ACS T3 ports and ACS Eagle T3 triple LED lighting kit. Heritage grill, Hex vents, ZL1 rockers, ZL1 Diffuser, Quad tips...the list keeps getting longer - whats next??

markmass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 09:40 AM   #10
ericedelman

Drives: 2020 ZL1
Aside from the idea that rotors are a wear item, I'd ask the dealer to replace them with new rotors. If they are warped and they turn them, they are likely to warp again as soon as you start using the brakes. The OEM rotors don't have a lot of material to begin with, so if you take away some of it, it's going to heat up even faster and warp (again).

Other things to look at if this is happening on the same car is the hub surface may not be square, the back of the wheel may not be square, or the person who swapped the rotor put the wheels back on with a powerful impact gun and put too much torque on a lug. These are all things that can cause rotors to warp other than heat.
Old 10-04-2010, 09:55 AM   #11
motorhead

Drives: Love the one you're with
Take the E-brake off before you drive.

And make them give you new rotors. Turned rotors don't last very long ,and if they were already turned once then their're done. You should turn rotors more than once in most cases.
motorhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:08 AM   #12
katatonia

Drives: 2010 SW 2SS/RS 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by motorhead View Post
Take the E-brake off before you drive.

And make them give you new rotors. Turned rotors don't last very long ,and if they were already turned once then their're done. You should turn rotors more than once in most cases.
lmao- ive never driven with the ebrake on. To answer another person's question- it's a stick- not an auto. I've never had this issue with any other car.

last 5 of vin is 81381
katatonia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-04-2010, 10:09 AM   #13
DjfunkmasterG
Indie Zombie Film King

Drives: 2011 LS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by markmass View Post
Im at 8000 miles on my Auto 2ss. (October 2009) ..no problems. Funny your service dept says keep bringing it in....once more and you have a lemon....(Florida Lemon Law)

Did the same with the early Nissan Armada's - rotors kept warping, Nissan gave me a fat check, then i turned it in end of lease

If you were in maryland that would be instant Lemon Law.... brakes or steering are automatic Lemon law items.
Old 10-04-2010, 10:19 AM   #14
King Mouse

Drives: EXT
GM had bad rotors on their cars for years but the SS rotors are the 14"ers. Might be a bad lot.

The above advice is sound. Get new ones. Good luck.
King Mouse is offline   Reply With Quote