Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 04-11-2011, 03:25 PM   #1
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Verizon SmartPhone Techies...I need advice.

I've been resisting getting the newest upgrade on the phone from Verizon. I simply don't use a cell phone that much to justify all the gadgets.

But with that said, the phone I got is about 6 years old. It's been dropped, kicked, fallen down stairs...you finally know when the time is near.

I'm not sure of all the whizbang stuff, but this 4G LTE seems like it only makes sense in the bigger metro areas like Atlanta, etc. According to the map, we only get 3G here. SO...in light of that, I'm not thinking I need to spring the extra bux for a 4G LTE when a 3G is good enough and not to mention, cheaper to buy. (They are offering me a $50 loyalty discount on top of any other discounts).

I started looking at the HTC Droid Thunderbolt, but then figured I don't need all that. I like the bigger screen, and am not afraid of a virtual QWERTY. Not interested in any Crackberrys.

Any advice on a decent phone? Would a slideout keyboard work ok? I don't care about movies and video and songs so much. But the internet options seem enticing.

Let the ideas fly.....TIA

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2011, 03:33 PM   #2
vinman
The BBOMG fill-in husband

Drives: 2015 2SS/RS 1LE AKA V1LE
I'm waiting to see what the iphone5 is all about before I make a decision on any of the new ones.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:48 PM   #3
Steve Dallas
Commits weekly crime

Drives: 2017 Camaro 1LT
First, I'd recommend getting an Android. Good phone, good screen space, as good as (if not better than) the iPhone.

iPhone doesn't support 4G. 3G is decent speed though, so don't get too caught up in the "4G" Hype. 4G really isn't technically 4G...just a little faster than 3G and using some 4G technology that allows them to say 4G without totally lying about it. Technically, 4G would be about 100+ times faster than 4G is right now according to official specifications.

I have the Droid 2, and love the slide out keyboard. I use the on screen QWERTY as well, but have always liked a mechanical keyboard on phones.
Old 04-11-2011, 03:54 PM   #4
FenwickHockey65
General Motors Aficionado

Drives: 2023 GMC Canyon, 2020 Colorado
Send a message via AIM to FenwickHockey65
Yup, just look at all the Android phones at a corporate store and pick which one you like best. I'm partial to Motorola's stuff myself.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Tegra 2 GPU's are close to coming out also, I'm waiting a little longer.
Old 04-11-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
Epitaph
Custom User Title

Drives: Fast
The only reason the iPhone is so popular is because it didn't have any competition for a while. Most techies that I know jailbroke their iPhone IF they got one. Next, when a new iPhone comes out, there's always an update for the old iPhones. Then people start noticing a difference in how long it takes to load their apps. The only iPhones this doesn't happen to are the jailbroken iPhones. Some people claim this isn't true, but I have seen them compared firsthand.

Why should you get a smartphone with the Android OS (operating system) on it? There is a market for companies that use the Android OS. That means they're competing with each other. You can look at reviews and compare. Which means they're throwing out awesome phones left & right. Next, These phones can also use FULL HTML browsers. That means you don't have to see the crappy mobile version of websites. Last but not least, the apps for android...oh my gosh. There are some amazing apps that people have built that make these phones even more amazing. If you won't give any of these phones a chance...I don't know that I could convince you.

I have played with several "smart phones", and the browsers & processors don't have jack on the Android phones. Horrible. Horrible. Horrible. loading times.

Anywho, I've got other stuff to do. Just give some of the Android phones a chance!
Epitaph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 12:30 AM   #7
el ess A
Older Than Dirt

Drives: 2010 & 2013 Camaros
Oh, I DO want a droid phone. A friend of mine has a Motorola Droid Pro is it? Anyway, his has a built in keyboard at the bottom, and while it's kinda cool, I'm still thinking the screen is a bit smallish to my liking. I guess I'm blind or something.

I'm just not certain I need to spend extra jack on a 4g/LTE phone when I'm probably not going to see 4G anytime soon, at least for the mandatory service contractual obligation period. I'm thinking a 3G android will work just fine. For what I'm planning on using it for, I don't think I'll be missing anything.

Thanks for all the input so far. Just way too many things to consider with these phones. And they're kinda pricey too!

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=26108&dateline=142898  4774
el ess A is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 01:08 AM   #8
ewynn9

Drives: IOM 1LT/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by el ess X View Post
Oh, I DO want a droid phone. A friend of mine has a Motorola Droid Pro is it? Anyway, his has a built in keyboard at the bottom, and while it's kinda cool, I'm still thinking the screen is a bit smallish to my liking. I guess I'm blind or something.

I'm just not certain I need to spend extra jack on a 4g/LTE phone when I'm probably not going to see 4G anytime soon, at least for the mandatory service contractual obligation period. I'm thinking a 3G android will work just fine. For what I'm planning on using it for, I don't think I'll be missing anything.

Thanks for all the input so far. Just way too many things to consider with these phones. And they're kinda pricey too!
If you can, wait til May/June. There's a few phones coming out that are going to be simply awesome.

http://www.phonearena.com/phones/car...rizon/upcoming
Old 04-12-2011, 01:34 AM   #9
Reaper1a

Drives: 2010 Summit White 2LT/RS
My short opinion? Don't pay for what you're not going to use. If you don't use the phone all that much, is it really worth the extra cost? (not for the phone, per say, but the plan you have to have with a smart phone). For me, a smart phone has been a very useful tool. For both work and play. However, if you don't have a need/want for it, why pay for it? Just my $.02.
Old 04-12-2011, 06:01 AM   #10
Ant32894
Youjellybra?

Drives: 95 3.4l V6
Get the LG Octane. I just got it and love it! Look it up. Its $100 new with a 2 year contract and then with your $50 off it should be only $50. Or if you get the certified pre owned like I did, its completely free.
Old 04-12-2011, 02:33 PM   #11
icbeatzu

Drives: 2011 CGM 1SS/RS 2004 1500 Silverado
I still have the OG Droid! love it still! but im waiting on the Droid3 later this year...I have to have a QWERTY keyboard, not big on touchscreen only phones
icbeatzu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:15 PM   #12
c_LoW29

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS, 2010 Mustang GT
Iphone FTW easy interface more compatibility for apps that you would use on a day to day basis. I owned a lot of android phones they are nice but they suck battery like there is no tomorrow.
c_LoW29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 03:19 PM   #13
Russo
Unofficial Glass Tech

Drives: 2014 Ford F150 FX2
Send a message via Yahoo to Russo
i have the Thunderbolt and i can tell you it absolutely kicks the dog crap out of any iphone on the market... besides, if you have an iphone, you might as well buy a Prius and get it over with.. right now HTC's stock is $1150 a share and Apple's is $332.40.. that should tell you who makes the better phone...
Russo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2011, 05:49 PM   #14
2ndgenz28
Thread Killer

Drives: All Black
Send a message via ICQ to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via AIM to 2ndgenz28 Send a message via Yahoo to 2ndgenz28
Optimus V is al lthe rage on cell boards..........
2ndgenz28 is offline   Reply With Quote