Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 09-17-2014, 05:36 PM   #225
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
You're missing the point. I'm not talking about top performing sedans. These are regular V6 Accord and Camry that can hang if not beat the V6 Camaro. Those cars on your list are advertised and geared towards performance(and they deliver) whereas your V6 Camry and Accord isn't. Personally, if the Camaro is to be classified as a performance car, it needs to have something that sets it apart from those other cars on the road performance wise. IMO, the V6 lacks that except in looks.

And I'm not comparing it to a 4 banger but rather the 6 so it's not misleading. You might get 28-30mpg but that is the exception rather than the rule. Just do a search on this forum and you will see many V6 owners get lower than their rated MPG. To each their own. If you're happy, then that's all that matters. But for me personally, if I'm buying a performance car, I want something that at least provides decent performance out of the box. If not, I'll just get a Chevy Cruze. (nothing wrong with the Cruze, it's a great car)
The V6 Accord and the V6 Camry ARE the "performance" versions of those cars. Top of the line...most expensive...fastest...for the buyer that wants performance and practicality. When Car and Driver reviewed the 2013 V6 Accord sedan it had identical fuel economy and 1/4 mile times to the V6 Camaro. The starting price is $31K. So, if you are looking for low to mid 14 sec performance, decent fuel economy, good looks and a good price the Camaro is the obvious choice. It is the same regardless of trim; you can find sedans that perform as well or better than any Camaro, but you pay more. Again, performance is relative.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:40 PM   #226
GretchenGotGrowl

Drives: 11 F150 EB/13 Sonic RS/15 Z06
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nessal View Post
Top speed isn't that relevant. It's what is useable on the track and street that counts. You're not going to take your car up to 155 on the streets and you'd be hard pressed to do that even on a track whether on the quarter or the circuit. I averaged almost 25 MPG once in my SS driving on a 170 mile round trip with the cruise set at 65. But that is not normal. The average MPG is closer to 17mpg. I don't go around telling people I get 25 MPG. I tell them the day to day realistic figure. Like I said, just look around the forums and many people have reported much less than what the sticker says. But hey, I'm not fretting it. When I purchased the SS, gas cost isn't a concern of mine....as long as I'm not getting 1MPG or something. I have nothing against the V6. What I'm addressing is essentially what the OP said in the title of the thread. The V6 Camaro IMO looks faster than it really is.
You are focusing on the people that are not happy with their fuel economy. All the people who get advertised MPG don't feel the need to start a thread about it. Many do chime in on the threads you are speaking about though. Those that get worse than advertised MPG are probably the minority (a vocal minority). Again, I've had two V6 5th Gens. Both got the advertised fuel economy. You see lots of threads about the Ecoboost fuel economy on those forums as well. Guess what, I get advertised MPG in my Ecoboost as well.
Old 09-17-2014, 05:43 PM   #227
TXLS3

Drives: 11' 2ss/rs ls3
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post
The V6 Accord and the V6 Camry ARE the "performance" versions of those cars. Top of the line...most expensive...fastest...for the buyer that wants performance and practicality. When Car and Driver reviewed the 2013 V6 Accord sedan it had identical fuel economy and 1/4 mile times to the V6 Camaro. The starting price is $31K. So, if you are looking for low to mid 14 sec performance, decent fuel economy, good looks and a good price the Camaro is the obvious choice. It is the same regardless of trim; you can find sedans that perform as well or better than any Camaro, but you pay more. Again, performance is relative.
People attach different meanings to words, that is the problem. Performance can mean 500hp built motor to some. And to others performance can mean a v6 base model with rims that make you puke.

Looks like the hub caps fell off
Attached Images

TXLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:45 PM   #228
scoticus.rex
LTC, USA

Drives: Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
I have owned both the V6 and V8 5th Gens and both are great cars. I actually got horrible gas mileage in my V6 (16.5 mpg) because I was constantly stomping on the gas pedal at stop lights. The V8 is great, but the V6 is still a kickass car. Oddly, I now get better gas mileage in my V8 as I have settled down a little.

Hobbes - 2013 Camaro 2SS RS M6
scoticus.rex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:51 PM   #229
mariojmoe
Account Suspended

Drives: C7 Z06 manual, 18 Zl1 manual, etc
Who would buy a camaro for fuel savings lol?
mariojmoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:52 PM   #230
Nessal

Drives: Exige, Miata, Ghia
Quote:
Originally Posted by GretchenGotGrowl View Post

The Accord isn't advertised as a sportscar unlike the Camaro. That is the big difference. The V6 Accord is hardly anything performance. It's a decent grocery getter. No one goes out to look for a sportscar and then heads to the Honda dealership first. No one thinks of sporty when you mention Accord. But they sure do with the Camaro. The Camaro V6 is a pretty good bargain for what it is. All I'm saying is that the title from the OP does hold some truth.
Nessal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:57 PM   #231
Josh.Duncan

Drives: 2014 1LT/RS Camaro; 2012 VW Jetta
Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
A full-time college student who commutes to class and works a full-time job. lol

2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS Coupe
K&N Cold Air Intake
MRT V1 Axle-Back Exhaust
MRT V1.0 Axle-Back Exhaust
BMR Strut Tower Brace
LG Motorsports ZR28 Black Wheels
Josh.Duncan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 05:58 PM   #232
TXLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by mariojmoe View Post
I've never even looked at my mpg lmao
Old 09-17-2014, 06:00 PM   #233
TXLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh.Duncan View Post
A full-time college student who commutes to class and works a full-time job. lol

2014 Red Hot 1LT/RS Coupe
K&N Cold Air Intake
MRT V1 Axle-Back Exhaust
So performance and fuel saving exist in your reality?
Because in my world it's one or the other. Which is why I have this for weekdays 38mpg is fuel economy son. Fuel economy during the week performance for the weekend.
Attached Images

Old 09-17-2014, 06:01 PM   #234
jcamaro37f

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LT/RS
just because a title is placed with the car doesn't mean it's synonymous.

So BMW " the ultimate driving machine " or Mercedes and luxury. There are plenty out there that doesn't have 300 horsepower or power seats and gadgets and gizmos but they are still representative of their genes.

You're argument is moot. People go shopping for a luxury brand and get one with less features than the average basic Kia..

And if you get too big chested on your "sports car" I don't worry there's still enough sports car owners out there who gawk at the fact that one calls a Chevy a sports car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-17-2014, 06:08 PM   #235
NJScorpio

Drives: 2018 Camaro 1LT Hyper Blue Metallic
Okay hold on...

On the subject of comparing a V6 Camaro to a performance variant of a sedan, you need to realize they are on opposite ends of their respective model lines.

Sure, you could eek out Camaro LS performance out of a family sedan, but can that sedan also host a platform like the Z/28?

With the V6 Camaros, you still get a car with near 50/50 weight distribution, great driving position, and fun to drive! Chevy didn't just make an engine with the Camaro, they made a very competent car that shines through regardless of the engine.

A Camaro going the same speed as a Camry or Accord...which would be more fun to drive?
NJScorpio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:10 PM   #236
Ides of March

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by NJScorpio View Post
Okay hold on...

On the subject of comparing a V6 Camaro to a performance variant of a sedan, you need to realize they are on opposite ends of their respective model lines.

Sure, you could eek out Camaro LS performance out of a family sedan, but can that sedan also host a platform like the Z/28?

With the V6 Camaros, you still get a car with near 50/50 weight distribution, great driving position, and fun to drive! Chevy didn't just make an engine with the Camaro, they made a very competent car that shines through regardless of the engine.

A Camaro going the same speed as a Camry or Accord...which would be more fun to drive?
100% agreed. Well said.
Ides of March is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 06:13 PM   #237
TXLS3

Quote:
Originally Posted by jcamaro37f View Post
just because a title is placed with the car doesn't mean it's synonymous.

So BMW " the ultimate driving machine " or Mercedes and luxury. There are plenty out there that doesn't have 300 horsepower or power seats and gadgets and gizmos but they are still representative of their genes.

You're argument is moot. People go shopping for a luxury brand and get one with less features than the average basic Kia..

And if you get too big chested on your "sports car" I don't worry there's still enough sports car owners out there who gawk at the fact that one calls a Chevy a sports car.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
So the corvette isn't even a sports car because it's a chevy.. That's the point your trying to make?

And what do you call a camaro with 600hp race tuned?
Old 09-17-2014, 06:18 PM   #238
Ides of March

Drives: 2014 Camaro 2LS
Here's my .02, to the OP, the no go comment is crap, the car is fast, I drive it down the interstate every day lately and the pickup and go is more than I have ever had in a V6, my last car was a 01 Accord not comparing the two but that car was fast as well, but not this fast. I am not naive to the fact that I can track my LS and brag about kicking other peoples butts I know that is not what it is for. But if I am driving a Ferrari I can say there are plenty of cars that have no go including the V8 camaros. This is about the V6 nothing else. It is what it is, and I don't think stock anyone is trying to compare it to an SS or ZL1. But the car is fast, I don't know about the new Accords or Camry's or whatever but my wife who likes fast cars and knows about V8's said my car was pretty fast when she drove it for a V6. I like the way it looks that's really why I got it. I don't have crap in it but that's not a big deal. If there are others Carmaro owners and non that have V8's and want to rag on the V6 let em, who cares. It's a great car and my LS gets looks all the time. And I like driving it. That's all that matters. I like the SS, and I wish I could get one, but I don't need one. I like looking at all Camaros because I am a fan of Camaro and on the side of my car and yours it says Camaro. So regardless of the LS, LT, SS, RS non RS we should all be proud people are buying Camaro and not Mustang or Challenger or anything else that they could have done.
Ides of March is offline   Reply With Quote