Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 03-27-2012, 09:34 AM   #1
TonyC

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
rocker arm question

hello all,
i had a cam installed last year (custom ground) from a "reputible" shop that i will not name...i have maybe 500 miles on the car since and im getting valve train noise..i dont know the cam specs (its a secret lol) all i know is supposidly 680 lift ,110lsa..i have tried to call the shop and find out and got no response..i would like to replace the rockers (no trunion upgrade) i dont know what to buy brand/ratio...if the lift is as high as the shop claimed i cant run 1.8s right? im gonna do the work myself...i am done with shops after my last experience...any help would be greatly appreciated.

just a side note...the noise developed after a 100 miles or so and i have never gotten a call back since i paid for the job....now that the weather is getting nicer i want to actually use the car a little and enjoy it,

Thank you guys
Tony
Afe intake,Ported heads,ported manifold &TB,Big Cam, Arh longtubes w/3",25% underdrive,aluminum flywheel,zr1 clutch, tranzilla 6060, gforce 9" strac 430s...worst tune in the world...dc power 300amp alt, audison/kenwwod/cdt system.pfadt/eibach/hotchkis/bmr susp...vented/drilled rotors, hawk pads,s/s lines
work in progress : Full electric power steering & Airride
TonyC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:38 AM   #2
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
go into more detail about valve noise. do you hear it at idle ?, certain RPM? when cold or hot ? all the time ?
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:45 AM   #3
TonyC

all the time..cold or hot seems worse when hot...i havent driven the car since and actually moved and had the car flatbedded to the new house cause im afraid to drive it and damage anything...after 8 months of trying to get answers from a shop that doest return calls im fixing it myself..
i have a bad leaking pass side valve cover as well and will be pulling them once my gaskets arrive. i wanted to do the rockers while i was in there...
its a clicking under the valve cover...not like an injecor tick,, more clicking sounds...i can see if i can shoot a vid at idle and post it if that helps....i used a scope and its coming from under drivers side valve cover
Afe intake,Ported heads,ported manifold &TB,Big Cam, Arh longtubes w/3",25% underdrive,aluminum flywheel,zr1 clutch, tranzilla 6060, gforce 9" strac 430s...worst tune in the world...dc power 300amp alt, audison/kenwwod/cdt system.pfadt/eibach/hotchkis/bmr susp...vented/drilled rotors, hawk pads,s/s lines
Old 03-27-2012, 09:51 AM   #4
hypurone
I'm not totally useless..

Drives: ...
Were the springs changed at the time of install? Singles or doubles? It is quite possible that the lifters aren't handling the higher lift very well. LS3 or L99?

My point being that the trunnions/arms aren't really prone to failure....
Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #5
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
all the time..cold or hot seems worse when hot...i havent driven the car since and actually moved and had the car flatbedded to the new house cause im afraid to drive it and damage anything...after 8 months of trying to get answers from a shop that doest return calls im fixing it myself..
i have a bad leaking pass side valve cover as well and will be pulling them once my gaskets arrive. i wanted to do the rockers while i was in there...
its a clicking under the valve cover...not like an injecor tick,, more clicking sounds...i can see if i can shoot a vid at idle and post it if that helps....i used a scope and its coming from under drivers side valve cover
ya its always good to post a vid. might be something else. anyways thats really bad that a shop has not gotten back to you in 8 months ! thats just crazy ! the question i would ask is are they still even in business.

well hopefully someone can help you with your other questions i am just questioning the noise.
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012, 09:52 AM   #6
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
By " (no trunion upgrade)" do you mean they didn't do the trunion upgrade when they installed the cam? When I got mine they said it should be done if the lift is over .610. If that is accurate, this could be the cause of your noise. Also, how's your oil pressure? Low oil pressure at idle can cause valve train noise with hydraulic lifters.

Have you tried going over to the shop to see if they are even still there or are out of business?
Old 03-27-2012, 09:54 AM   #7
TonyC

they did double springs and did not do a trunion upgrade, i would rather change the rockers rather then the upgrade..oil pressure is solid at low 30s at idle (700-850) or so
Old 03-27-2012, 09:55 AM   #8
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
680... and you don't know the specs... WoW... dangerous..
Old 03-27-2012, 09:56 AM   #9
TonyC

pics of parts

springs used
Attached Images

Old 03-27-2012, 09:58 AM   #10
TonyC

i contacted the shop prior to the work saying that i wanted a cam and he told me he knows the "perfect formula" for these cars to make power...ill admit the car is fast as hell..but i need reliable too...the shop is still in business and actually very well known..i refuse to bad mouth them...its my fault for not doing my homework
Old 03-27-2012, 10:01 AM   #11
TonyC

he also locked my computer after the tune...so how can i go get a re tune unless he unlocks it ???? but how can he unlock it if hee doesnt answer calls/messages...lol
Old 03-27-2012, 10:06 AM   #12
Lee123

Drives: 2012 2SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by TonyC View Post
he also locked my computer after the tune...so how can i go get a re tune unless he unlocks it ???? but how can he unlock it if hee doesnt answer calls/messages...lol
That sucks! How do you know it is locked? Did he just tell you?
Old 03-27-2012, 10:07 AM   #13
TonyC

after speaking with people (mostly vette owners) and other shops thats what he does...everyone else that has work done from him had to go back to him for any retunes
Old 03-27-2012, 10:10 AM   #14
TonyC

again i am not publicly bashing any company....i personally wouldnt ever go back...i understand crap happens, and maybe a rocker failed or something...understandible..i also understand that if he wants to lock peoples computers so nobody knows the tune then so be it..but his CUSTOMER SERVICE or should i say lack of..is something that made him loose a customer