Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro Price | Ordering | Tracking | Dealers Discussions

Old 02-18-2008, 10:00 PM   #29
Mike88

Drives: 94 Camaro, 05 Magnum
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
The vast majorityof Canadians live within a 2 hour drive of the border. A far bit longer than going to the local dealer, but if thats what I have to do to get waranty issues fixed on a US bought car, I'll do it.
Well, obviously that is a potential solution. Where I live just south of Montreal is about an hour from the closest Chevy dealer on the other side of the border. Can you imagine how steep the bill would be to have the broken down vehicle towed across the border to the American dealer? Not only that but think about the ensuing headache when you have to be at work the following day back in Canada and the dealer is telling you the car won't be ready. I know most of us have the know-how to fix our own vehicles to avoid towing costs and the like, but after all the years of owning used cars without warranties, just the thought of having a bran new vehicle under warranty that I don't have to touch outside of brake jobs and oil changes for 3-5 years is amazing!

I just think this sort of thing would be a huge hassle and I think we're better off lobbying our own gov't to do something about these greedy manufacturers (even though that's not likely with this Tory gov't).

Oh yeah, and I have heard of American dealers near the border refusing to sell to Canadian customers for fear of reprecussions from GM, so don't just assume that your American dealer is going to sell to you.
Mike88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 03:03 AM   #30
Jay

Drives: Audi A4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post

Oh yeah, and I have heard of American dealers near the border refusing to sell to Canadian customers for fear of reprecussions from GM, so don't just assume that your American dealer is going to sell to you.
Yes i know about this issue.... as far as the dealer around here goes it doesn't seem to be a problem... my cuz just picked up an 07 Tahoe brand new through a broker.... it was no problemo! So i hope i can do the same.... or I more hope so that our prices will be even enough so that its at least somewhat fair for us and I will just buy from a local dealer.

I guess time will tell what happens and what route everyone takes.

"HEAVEN JUST COULDN'T HANDLE ALL THE NOISE"
JAY
Jay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2008, 02:09 PM   #31
Mike88

if anyone does go that route, please report back here ASAP to let the others know how it went and which brokers and dealers to seek out. We're also going to need info on what sorts of modifications, if any, will be needed...for example, daytime driving lights and km/h speedo.
Old 02-25-2008, 01:43 PM   #32
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
pretty angry... my dad said if i want the g5 camaro... id have to lease it through one of his friends...which probably translates to 45-50000 canadian i was hoping to get a states bargian at around 35 grand...

hahaha do you want to know what is sad...ok for arguments sake the can dollar and the American dollar are about equal , so lets assume they are. in the usa you can assume to get a camaro (2009) for the price of around 35000
or for example maybe even a ford mustang for 30000 (everybody hates mustangs...but this is hypothetically speaking) so for my canadian dollar that is equal to the us dollar do you know what 30000 gets me...well for 31,809.50 i can get a 2007 HONDA CIVIC si...for 27.741.50 i can get a 2008 TOYOTA COROLLA XRS ...or for 400 dollars more i can bump up to a base 08 CAMRY for 28,141.50 the top CAMRY cost around 35000 canadian... compare that to a top level 09 camaro for 35000

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 08:00 PM   #33
Mike88

I'm not sure where you're going with that Captain Sam. You can't compare the Civic SI to the top dawg Camaro. Also, all we can assume is that the Canadian pricing will be close to the Mustang GT, but we have no idea if GM Canada will be pricing the Camaro similar to what the Americans will pay.
Old 02-25-2008, 10:55 PM   #34
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptianSam View Post
hahaha do you want to know what is sad...ok for arguments sake the can dollar and the American dollar are about equal , so lets assume they are. in the usa you can assume to get a camaro (2009) for the price of around 35000
or for example maybe even a ford mustang for 30000 (everybody hates mustangs...but this is hypothetically speaking) so for my canadian dollar that is equal to the us dollar do you know what 30000 gets me...well for 31,809.50 i can get a 2007 HONDA CIVIC si...for 27.741.50 i can get a 2008 TOYOTA COROLLA XRS ...or for 400 dollars more i can bump up to a base 08 CAMRY for 28,141.50 the top CAMRY cost around 35000 canadian... compare that to a top level 09 camaro for 35000
1) who hates Mustangs? I love My Mustang... (I will love my Camaro too)
2) Why would a Car Built in Canada Cost more ? the Canadian $ is the rated better that the US $, you should be able to get a killer deal. But I have not been to the Great white North so I might be speaking out my ass,
3) Why even class the Honda in the plain as a Camaro or Mustang, different cars all together...
2005 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey - Sold
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2008, 11:02 PM   #35
Mike88

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K05GT View Post
2) Why would a Car Built in Canada Cost more ? the Canadian $ is the rated better that the US $, you should be able to get a killer deal. But I have not been to the Great white North so I might be speaking out my ass,
that's not how it works...read the last two pages of this thread. Canadians are paying thousands, sometimes tens of the thousands more for the same vehicles bought in the US.
Old 02-25-2008, 11:03 PM   #36
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
1) who hates Mustangs? I love My Mustang... (I will love my Camaro too)
3) Why even class the Honda in the plain as a Camaro or Mustang, different cars all together...
We have no real idea as to why it costs more. thats the problem. as far as we can tell, its because all the automakers choose to gouge us. We pay more for everything. Silverados, Civics, Camrys, Grand Prix's, Chargers, Freestars and many other vehicles are all made in Ontario. And they all have the same markup rate as cars that are imported. there is no justifiable reason for any of this now
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 02:19 AM   #37
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
^I don't hate mustangs.
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:30 PM   #38
2K05GT
Muscle Car Fanatic

Drives: 2017 Shelby GT350
Quote:
Originally Posted by DGthe3 View Post
We have no real idea as to why it costs more. thats the problem. as far as we can tell, its because all the automakers choose to gouge us. We pay more for everything. Silverados, Civics, Camrys, Grand Prix's, Chargers, Freestars and many other vehicles are all made in Ontario. And they all have the same markup rate as cars that are imported. there is no justifiable reason for any of this now
Thats Not Fair.. Could Taxes be Higher on New Cars? This it not fair because Canada does nor make a "National Car" brand Like Germany (Mercedes) GB (Peice of Crap somthing) ect... Sometimes countries do this to protect the home grown company.

Does anyone know if it is like this in the Land Down Under?

That Sucks, I am sorry to hear that......

Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
^I don't hate mustangs.
Thanks Tag....
I don't either
2005 Mustang GT, Mineral Grey - Sold
2K05GT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2008, 08:41 PM   #39
Mike88

Okay, I'll sum up this entire thread for everyone who doesn't feel like reading everything so far...recently, the Canadian dollar reached parity with the American dollar, however our dealerships are still charging us far more than American dealerships. As mentioned above, we can buy a vehicle in the US and import it to Canada, but there are numerous fees, duties, and taxes that usually amount to several thousand dollars. So its only worth it to import the vehicle if all of these costs will be less than the differential between the US and Canadian prices (and it usually is on anything worth more than $25,000). We also have other considerations to take into account, such as modifactions to the vehicle if it is not equipped with daytime running lights or a km/h speedometer. The biggest hassle will likely be assuring that the warranties will be maintained by Canadian dealerships when there is something wrong with the vehicle. Many Canadian dealerships have refused to honour warranties of vehicles bought in the US, meaning that we will have to drive/tow our vehicles across the border for reparations each time there is a problem. Basically, we're getting screwed, there's not much we can do about it because there isn't a single manufacturer who is willing to lower the prices of their vehicles and no law says they have to!

PS...its not really about taxes...taxes are slightly higher here, but this would only account for less than a thousand dollar difference on most vehicles. It has everything to do with price gouging!
Old 02-27-2008, 10:27 PM   #40
CaptianSam
Car Garage

Drives: 350z,A4,SRT8...see sig
the only thing im trying to say...(i love my nissan and my charger and mustangs....) is for the 30000 canadian dollars you ONLY get a civic...but for the EXACT SAME 30000 american you get a v8 camaro...

BTW...2K05GT your stang looks pimp... lol 12.65 is good i pulled a 12.350 indoor drag last week with my 350z on drag rad.s... dads viper pulled a 11.311 stock on a prep'd track
my z SMOKES my charger r/t

On My Ipad
Xbox McLovin1515
Ps3 McLovin1555
Current Autos:68z28,03viperSRT10,04escalade,05RangeRoverSport SC
Project Autos:80corvette350-500hp 6speed,06charger S'C 6-speed posi,74Firebird400blue,69chevelle572 707
New Autos:2012CamaroSSRS,09ChallengerSRT8
Past Autos:....too many to list

"i told you it was gettin' an LS3"
Go down deep enough into anything and you will find mathematics. Dean Schlicter
B.Sc. Hons. Mathematics
CaptianSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2008, 06:09 AM   #41
nickkillerbee

Drives: none
Quote:
Does anyone know if it is like this in the Land Down Under?
Yes its kinda the same here but we do have a "home grown company" and in australia its mostly the gst (goods and services tax for those who dont know) that affects the price (its 22% on vehicles sold by a dealer) but thats because holden tends to agree with the overpriceing so it doesnt make much difference when ur buying a car. However we do not have to many american cars avalible in aus ie ford australia makes different models and mustangs are not avalible here from ford. Therefore comparisons are hard to find when ur buying pony cars from dealers in aus.

1 of the biggest advantages of importing a car to aus from america (or any other car company in the world) is that the gst is reduced to 10% because it does cost quite a lot to transport a car down under.
nickkillerbee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2008, 03:04 AM   #42
Maddog78

Drives: 1969 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike88 View Post
Okay, I'll sum up this entire thread for everyone who doesn't feel like reading everything so far...recently, the Canadian dollar reached parity with the American dollar, however our dealerships are still charging us far more than American dealerships. As mentioned above, we can buy a vehicle in the US and import it to Canada, but there are numerous fees, duties, and taxes that usually amount to several thousand dollars. So its only worth it to import the vehicle if all of these costs will be less than the differential between the US and Canadian prices (and it usually is on anything worth more than $25,000). We also have other considerations to take into account, such as modifactions to the vehicle if it is not equipped with daytime running lights or a km/h speedometer. The biggest hassle will likely be assuring that the warranties will be maintained by Canadian dealerships when there is something wrong with the vehicle. Many Canadian dealerships have refused to honour warranties of vehicles bought in the US, meaning that we will have to drive/tow our vehicles across the border for reparations each time there is a problem. Basically, we're getting screwed, there's not much we can do about it because there isn't a single manufacturer who is willing to lower the prices of their vehicles and no law says they have to!

PS...its not really about taxes...taxes are slightly higher here, but this would only account for less than a thousand dollar difference on most vehicles. It has everything to do with price gouging!

Yeah, agreed. When the $US was worth $C1.50 a $US50K car = $C75K, no problem, but our dollar has appreciated relatively rapidly to parity and the manufacturers arer sloooowwwwllly adjusting prices, meanwhile they seem to be doing what they can to slow down importswwith warranty and compliance issues. Not good for now.
I imported a used Porsche 911 from Dallas and saved about $20K.
No warranty issues for Porsche, good in both.

I hope that by the time the 5thGen comes out prices will be closer in Can./US and I will be able to buy locally.
Maddog78 is offline   Reply With Quote