Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 01-27-2010, 08:26 AM   #71
drtwo

Drives: 2SS RS Yellow, Raptor, Vrod
May be good stuff! But, I'm really looking to find things that I don't have to send off for. Products that are OTC in most stores. I'm somewhat impulsive and when I decide to wax or clay or wash or change my oil or put on a CAI, I want it NOW! Otherwise I get out of the mood. I'm not one to plan too far ahead and buy everything months ahead of time. I'll bet there are many just like me and this information will help the lazy ones like me!
Old 01-27-2010, 07:00 PM   #72
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
[QUOTE=2LTRS;1384766]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Junkman2008 View Post
That's nice 2LTRS, but check out this hood after I clayed, followed with Adam's SHR, FMP and then a coat of Americana carnuba wax. Now this is how you reflect a flag on the hood!

Luvin' it! There is nothing better looking than a clean (polished) black car!

Darker colors will always reflect more objects than yellow, or any light colored car..it's just common sence.
Old 01-27-2010, 07:21 PM   #73
NAHURRY
Love's to Detail

Drives: 2010 SS,97silverado/08crewcab
Quote:
Originally Posted by drtwo View Post
I think I would probably disagree that OTC products are no good. I've now done ooodles of 'research' and to be honest, products like Zaino are seem very over valued for the money you spend. People seem to buy it because it is more expensive and expect that it is going to be much better than Meguire's, or Tutle Ice or Adams. I don't think that holds water.

I'm sure that Zaino, etc.. are good products, but most waxes and polishes are made from the same stuff. The same goes for clay bars. I'm sure that people that buy zaino love it and will defend spending as much as they did because "why would anyone not spend the most money on their car". But, if you put two cars side by side in a car show, no one would be able to tell that you used Tutle wax or Zaino. I've went to Mustang forums, Charger forums and they agree with what I just said.
Zaino is not unique. It's apparently just popular in this forum but I'm not willing to follow the sheep off the cliff to over spend to get the same result---> a clean car that shines and is protected. I will guarantee that by Spring, I will be able to spend $40 and have as good a shine as anyone who spends $200. And it will probably last longer! The point of this thread was to find alternatives to the overly expensive 'fad' products and find what works that may be available at any local store.

Again, I'm sure that the expensive products are good, but not really necessary.

Go here http://www.autopia.org/ if you wont to get some good and honest answers...Ask your same question, and see what they say That is all.
Old 01-27-2010, 09:25 PM   #74
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Drives: 2001 Corvette Coupe
[QUOTE=NAHURRY;1423429]
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post

Darker colors will always reflect more objects than yellow, or any light colored car..it's just common sence.
Actually, the reflectivity level of every color is exactly the same, when the same products are used on each color by a person skilled with a given product. What you mean to say is that the contrasting colors of black to most colors is noticeably different. Any polish or wax that you use on a car has no clue what color it is being used on. It doesn't look at the color and decide to shine more or less. The product is going to "do what it do". Thus, I can make yellow pop just as I can black. It is a combination of technique and products.

Junkman2008 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2010, 09:29 PM   #75
drtwo

Quote:
Originally Posted by NAHURRY View Post
Go here http://www.autopia.org/ if you wont to get some good and honest answers...Ask your same question, and see what they say That is all.
You mean that I won't get honest answers here?!

I do have to admit that Zaino is far too much on the bandwagon in this forum. I think people are being honest...they are just brainwashed!
Old 01-27-2010, 09:39 PM   #76
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
You can get some real good answers there if you don't get choked to death by all the attitudes. I'm with DrTwo, you don't think that you can get some good answers here?

Last edited by Junkman2008; 01-28-2010 at 12:07 AM.
Old 01-27-2010, 11:34 PM   #77
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Drives: 2010 Rally Yellow 2LT RS
Quote:

I got some pretty decent refections in my yellow and this was on a cloudy about-to-rain day.

This was after a Adams FMP and topped with some Americana. You'll never get a mirror out of yellow, but it certainly does shine with some TLC.
Attached Images

Old 01-27-2010, 11:50 PM   #78
OBSSEST

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS, Black
2LTRS: Nice. I like your towel collection in the reflection. Are those Cobra Shamrocks? Are you having linting issues like I am?
OBSSEST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2010, 12:09 AM   #79
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2LTRS View Post
I got some pretty decent refections in my yellow and this was on a cloudy about-to-rain day.

This was after a Adams FMP and topped with some Americana. You'll never get a mirror out of yellow, but it certainly does shine with some TLC.
That looks damn close to mirror to me!

Old 01-28-2010, 07:36 AM   #80
drtwo

I see that some people top one product over the other. If I use something like Adams buttery wax or Meguire's nxt 2.0 or turtle Ice paste polish do I need to use two products? I do plan to clay first.
Old 01-28-2010, 08:24 AM   #81
Junkman2008
"Detailing Devil Dog"

Quote:
I see that some people top one product over the other. If I use something like Adams buttery wax or Meguire's nxt 2.0 or turtle Ice paste polish do I need to use two products? I do plan to clay first.
I've used three different products extensively and from all the countless hours that I have spent with all 3, I can honestly say that the results from each were outstanding. I could tell no difference in the final outcome with either brand. What people have to understand is that the difference between a lot of professional products on the market is the price, methods of application, ease of use and customer service. It isn't about the final shine, it's about everything but the final shine. I have my preferences for reasons that I have posted before but if you do the research, you will find out what I already know. For those who don't want to have to do the the long and time consuming expensive research, I offer to them what I have found out. Thus I say, if a product is giving you the results that you are looking for, changing products may not change your results but it will create a different experience for you in the categories that I mentioned above, and the pursuit of the desired result that you are looking for.

With that said, one rule that I like to follow is to stay within a family of products when I am doing the paint correction process. The reason I like to do this is each manufacturer has researched and designed their products to work with each other. By mixing brands within the polishing process, you may or may not get the results you are trying to achieve. Let's face it, we are mixing chemicals on our paint and none of us are chemist (at least I hope not ). Since the chemical blending of products has already been engineered by someone who knows more about that than we do, I don't like to undermine their knowledge and the engineering that has gone into the products that we decide to use. Most of the time, they compliment each other and the overlapping of following one brand with the next product of the same brand is what is necessary to get the most out of what you decide to use. So if I use brand X polish, I'm going to use brand X wax. I may use brand Y leather cleaner or brand Z tire dressing because those product do not require a follow up product. Polishing and waxing are a different animal.

So to answer your questing, keep it in the same family when polishing and waxing. As for the other stuff, you may see an advantage in performance in say, one leather dressing over another. I haven't researched that area of detailing enough to say with any authority on who's product is the ruler of Oz, but I can say that everything I used did work. I, like others, do have my preference based on experience. Some are different or seem to be better than others, but since I stick to professional grade products, I have never had a negative experience with anything that I have tried.

Old 01-28-2010, 12:30 PM   #82
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Quote:
IMHO you don't need to use two products. Some of us that have extra time on our hands that want that extra coat of protection, that little extra glimmer, we experiment with different combinations of products (i.e Adams Fine machine polish, topped with a coax of buttery wax, topped with a coat of Americana.) to achieve that ultimate look.

Its certainly not a requirement when it comes to protecting your paint.
Old 01-28-2010, 12:36 PM   #83
2LTRS
Detailing Connoisseur

Quote:
Originally Posted by TanandGreen View Post
2LTRS: Nice. I like your towel collection in the reflection. Are those Cobra Shamrocks? Are you having linting issues like I am?
Yes! I'm in love with Cobra microfibers, but these plush shamrocks drop a lot of lint. I'm thinking about picking up some Adam's super plushes to demote these shamrocks to buffing my wifes car.

All the other cobra microfibers are holding up really well, I love the blue waffle weave drying towel, and have been really happy with the purple polishing towels. Their yellow multi pourpose towel is fantastic for spray detailing!
Old 01-28-2010, 01:04 PM   #84
drtwo

I also note that wax and polish seem to be used synonymously most often. The brand websites say that most have wax but is synthetic and have a component of polish that is very mild that can be used on the clear coat. So polishing and separate waxing is only needed if there is significant scratches, swirls, etc. Then a separate POLISH (abrasive) is needed.

So I think in the end, I'll look for any of the brands I noted above that are OTC and trial them for durability.