Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 08-03-2010, 11:33 PM   #1
IcallitROOSTER

Drives: Black 2011Auto/v6 2LT/RS blackint
DEALER AUTO ARMOURED CAR WITH AND SEALED IN RAIL DUST?!?!?!

We signed papers on my black 2011 2lt/rs friday with 47 miles on it, the car was filthy so they detailed it/ half(@$$) vacuum and sprayed with a water hose is more like it, but we bought the auto armour and had to bring it back today to have it put on, so we figured they are gonna have to detail it again before they auto armour it right?, we picked the car up and when we got home we looked over it really good, and saw litttle pock marks , i guess is what you would call it all over my car, it felt like sand all over the hood and looked like some one literally sprinkled sand on my car and sprayed clear coat over it, ive scratched with my nail(i know i know) and you can feel it and it wont come off, so its like they "sealed" it in. we brought it to a place locally( a paint shop) since we were thinkin bout adding stripes anyways, and when asked what it was he described it as rail dust, and said it would eat through my paint in no time. That who ever fixes it is gonna have to sand and repaint all those places or they can try toclay bar my car.

A. im not/shouldnt have to have my car sanded on with less than 300 miles,OMG I JUST BOUGHT THE CAR BRAND NEW?!??!?! ISNT THAT THE POINT OF A NEW CAR< YOU DONT HAVE TO WORRY BOUT THIS CRAP.

B. Ive read here that clay barring a black car can end up really bad if not done right.

We called our dealer and they said to run it up and ask for darryl, we got there asked for darryl, guess what? NO DARRYL, "well darryl has to reccomend it to the body shop." mind you we live 25 miles from the nearest chevy dealer (one way) anyways i had a hissy so some one took it back to the body guy and he said bring it back before i hit 12k and hed fix it,

A. its brand new im not gonna drive my car with pock marks on it till 12k

B. why till 12k, so you can say i waxed it with sand on it or some crap and blame it on me?

so I went to talk to the prick, he said hed clay bar it out and that SHOULD work. AND THAT IT WASNT RAIL DUST,
him: 'you can feel rail dust, thats not rail dust" ,
me: "well i CAN feel it and it wasnt there this morning"
him: "well maam what it is ,is something that was on there before we auto armoured it"
me: "so your telling me who ever cleaned it prior to the auto armour didnt clean it right?
him:"well bring it by and we can clay bar it and that SHOULD work."

What if he swirls my paint? should i call GM in the A.M. and have it noted that i called and start documenting stuff? or give him a chance, :(

by the way through the hole conversation he looked at me like i was crazy and i was making him look bad. i made an appt for lunch tommorrow

also i have 4 paint shops check it out, THEY ALL SAID IT WAS RAIL DUST! and i didnt ask, is this rail dust, i said what is this?

uggggh sincerely,
doIneedaprozac?
IcallitROOSTER is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 12:06 AM   #2
BRAVO29ER
AIM SMALL...MISS SMALL

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
TALK TO GM...THEY NEED TO FIX IT!!!! IM SO SORRY!!! I
Old 08-04-2010, 12:12 AM   #3
BRAVO29ER
AIM SMALL...MISS SMALL

Drives: Black 2SS/RS
First...im so sorry...that blows. GM...needs to fix it. For some reason...these camaros have more issues with paint than usual...especially black ones. I feel ya...i just took my 2010 2SS/RS in to get my ABL light fix, that crapped out on me after 1 month of owning it. I have 2064 miles on it and I also have paint chips on the spoiler!!!! Where it is almost impossible for a rock to hit it and chip. They said they will fix it or make it right. Also theres a piece of wax or something under the clear coat from the factory...that wont come of. Also by the the gas tank are run marks from the paint. Again another thing wrong...damn these black paint jobs. I totally feel where your pain is coming from. Take it and make them fix it...raise hell. GM...should do the right thing. I wish you all the luck. Any pics?
Old 08-04-2010, 01:08 AM   #4
FifthGenRS/SS

Drives: 2010 camaro RS/SS
If you have time i work in a body in Santa Ana we do most of the work for crevier bmw there is a guy in the shop that detailed my car for me when i first got because the paint look like shit and i showed my dealer and that i wanted my car detailed they said they were going to do but i said no i want my shop to do and the dealer would have to pay for and they did. PM me if you want more info or a phone number
FifthGenRS/SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 06:59 AM   #5
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
A top quality body shop can fix rail dust and leave it looking better than new. A crappy one will make it worse.

Next car, don't get Black or the snake oil paint sealant. The paint crap was a money flush, and owning a black car - your life is now dedicated to perfecting the paint which will never happen.

There is some liquid rail dust remover that won't drag the iron particles across the paint. When using clay, it picks up and drags the sharp particles across the panel. I screwed the hell out of an 01 Camaro SS paint job trying to clay out rail dust. You will think it is fixed until you hold a shop light over it and realize it is now scratched to hell.

If they use clay, they will then have to buff out all the scratches. Which if done right, a good buff and polish job will look awesome. Done crappy, you'll be chasing swirl marks every weekend you own that car.

Since you just bought it, I'd take the keys back to the salesman and say - give me a car with a perfect new paint job or my money back. You have one opportunity to make this car perfect, or write a check.

Mthrfcking dealers that deliver dirty cars should have that big bow tie Chevy sign out front torn down. Same goes for the paint snake oil - fcking crooks.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 10:53 AM   #6
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
That sucks.

I'm not sure why people keep saying GM needs to fix it. The dealer is the one that screwed up here, not GM. The dealer should make it right on the their own dime.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #7
IcallitROOSTER

its so small its hard to take pix of it even with my 12 mp camera, but i recorded me showing it, and wetting it and trying to wipe it with a micro fiber cloth and it still being there. so idk.....ill let you know how it goes
Old 08-04-2010, 11:00 AM   #8
CaniacFan

Drives: '10 SS CGM #75,288, '14 Stingray
Quote:
Originally Posted by rolnslo View Post
That sucks.

I'm not sure why people keep saying GM needs to fix it. The dealer is the one that screwed up here, not GM. The dealer should make it right on the their own dime.

I agree here. The paint was probably in perfect condition when it left the plant in Oshawa. It was the dealerships poor detailing that caused the problem. They probably have some young inexperienced part-time individual being paid minimum wage to wash and/or detail their cars.

Your arguement should be with the Service Department at your dealership first. They need to own up to their mistake and make it right. And, I don't think I would take my car to them again in the future for any kind of service.

Good Luck..
CaniacFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:04 AM   #9
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Oh man, what a hassle. Hope it all works out for ya, keep us posted.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:06 AM   #10
IcallitROOSTER

yes its definitley the dealers fault they also said if i had it serviced some where else that it wouldnt be warrantied, can i bring it to another chevy dealer? do you think if i brought it to another chevy dealer and they said, Oh crap thats raildust, id have more of a leg to stand on?
Old 08-04-2010, 11:09 AM   #11
brandotron
I am the internets.

Drives: dangerously
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcallitROOSTER View Post
yes its definitley the dealers fault they also said if i had it serviced some where else that it wouldnt be warrantied, can i bring it to another chevy dealer? do you think if i brought it to another chevy dealer and they said, Oh crap thats raildust, id have more of a leg to stand on?
Bring it to your dealer first, let them attempt to fix it, then get GM involved when they do a lousy job. That might be the time to lawyer up, get a quote from a reputable shop, and take your dealer to court for the bill plus legal fees.

I'm not one to advocate lawsuits normally, but your dealer really has the upper hand right now. Take pics and document EVERYTHING.
Old 08-04-2010, 11:13 AM   #12
Tallboy
Say "when"...

Drives: 11 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by IcallitROOSTER View Post
You're in a tough position. The rail dust [or whatever the bonded contaminants are] need to be clayed/removed. This process may indeed leave some fine scratches in the paint, which will need to be buffed out.

The problem is that most dealership clean-up guys don't have the talent or tools to do this job effectively or properly. You can give them a shot to make it right, but I would prepare to be disappointed in the final results.

If it were me, I would find a good local detailer who can do the job properly, and have him do it. Yeah, it'll cost a few hundred dollars, but the end result will be far better [in most cases] than anything the dealership can do. Plus, you'll have an established relationship with a detailer should you need his services in the future.

Drop a copy of the invoice with the service manager, maybe he'll help...?
Tallboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:16 AM   #13
Russell James

Drives: '15 SS 1LE, '69 Z28 drag car
The dealer is a representative of GM. GM chose the unprotected rail system that showers new cars with red hot iron particles. GM chooses what type of transit protective coating (if any) to put on the vcehicles during shipping. GM published a bulletin how to remove rail dust.....

splain to us again how it's not GM's fault?

Watch a load of BMW's going down the highway in a fully top and side covered car carrier, and that's how you deliver a clean undamaged car to the dealer.

Slap it on an open truck, then an open train car... and wonder why it looks like hell after a week in transit.
Russell James is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2010, 11:24 AM   #14
rolnslo
Rolling along...

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS SGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by Russell James View Post
...GM published a bulletin how to remove rail dust.....

splain to us again how it's not GM's fault?
You said it right there...GM published a bulletin on how to remove rail dust AND THE DEALER FAILED TO FOLLOW IT. Dealer's fault, not GM's.