Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 01-11-2011, 08:27 PM   #1
CuzzwhaT

Drives: 2010 camaro. 1LT, RS.
Camaro and Snow.

Alright, I know everyone hears this all the time but i legit want to know. The snow here is getting ridiculous and i need a solution. Is it a good idea to get some snow tires for my Camaro? Are they worth it, if so, what brand, and where can i get them?
CuzzwhaT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #2
melody301
NY Football Giants YAY!!!

Drives: 2011 LS
Some ppl have suggested these (chains) and said they work great
http://www.cabelas.com/mudflaps-tire....mc_id=k232270
Old 01-11-2011, 08:39 PM   #3
1BADLS3

Drives: Sold: 2011 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzwhaT View Post
Alright, I know everyone hears this all the time but i legit want to know. The snow here is getting ridiculous and i need a solution. Is it a good idea to get some snow tires for my Camaro? Are they worth it, if so, what brand, and where can i get them?
Snow tires are always worth it if you want to invest the money.

If Bridgestone makes the Blizzak in a Camaro size, that would be a good tire to start with.
1BADLS3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #4
Dmerk

Drives: 2010 RY Camaro LT/RS
Very good idea to get snows, I see you're on the P-Zero's too, they aren't very good once it gets cold. I run 18" Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snows on aftermarket rims from tirerack.com, and they are awesome. Use the summers in the summer. Check out the wheel/tire section of the forums too, LOTS of feedback on this subject available. Good luck!
Dmerk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:45 PM   #5
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
do you have another vehicle to drive?
Old 01-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #6
norton750

Drives: 2010 2LT sumit white
winter tires are well worth the mony. Got my Goodyears from Tirerack.com. Found haritage rims on ebay so the car still looks good
norton750 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 08:49 PM   #7
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
do you have another vehicle to drive?
thats the lest stress full thing to do
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2011, 09:04 PM   #8
AnnArborBoy

Drives: 2015 Red Hot ZL1 A6
Winter tires are definitely worth the money if your Camaro is your daily car. I have a 2SS/RS that I mounted Pirelli Ice and Snow on 20 inch Sport Muscle wheels. I've driven around in a couple of inches of unplowed snow without any troubles at all. Actually do better than most front-wheel drive cars with all-season tires.

Check out the Wheels and Tires Talk section and look for the FAQ Winter Tires thread. Buying tires from Rudy at TireRack is quick and painless (relatively speaking). He'll get you the best price around.
AnnArborBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 08:14 AM   #9
fbodfather

Drives: Camaros................
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dmerk View Post
Very good idea to get snows, I see you're on the P-Zero's too, they aren't very good once it gets cold. I run 18" Pirelli Scorpion Ice & Snows on aftermarket rims from tirerack.com, and they are awesome. Use the summers in the summer. Check out the wheel/tire section of the forums too, LOTS of feedback on this subject available. Good luck!

What he said -

When I got "Thor" wayyyyyyy back in '09, he was outfitted with Pirelli Scorpion Ice and Snows the whole way around - as did all of our CTFs - until mid-april when they were removed and the factory tires were put back on.............

I picked him up from the company vehicle compound -- and drove to Detroit Metro Airport and flew out on business......when I got back, we had 7+ inches of snow on the ground and it was still coming down - I-94 was snow-covered and I thought I'd be in trouble, but Thor remained steady the whole way home - and he was even able to go up the driveway and into the garage with no problems.

So when "Mom Settlemire" took delivery of her new RS, I made sure that it had Pirelli Scorpions on it as well.........
Old 01-12-2011, 09:56 AM   #10
E.T.

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Check out Tirerack.com. There aren't a whole lot of options if you want to stick with the original 20" rims and staggered tire sizes. I'm sure dedicated snow tires would be fine, but I decided to go w/all seasons (Yokohama Parada Spec-X). I put them on my original rims, and sold he P-zeros. The Yokos have done a good job so far. The Continental Extreme Contact DWS are supposed to be good too, but they were always backordered, and they're very pricey. If you wanna go with an actual snow tire, I've heard Blizzaks or the Pirelli Scorpions are good.

E.T. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 10:46 AM   #11
Tran
Administrator

Drives: 2010 Camaro of course....
Quote:
Originally Posted by CuzzwhaT View Post
See a good FAQ on Camaro snow tires here - http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=106945
Old 01-12-2011, 11:00 AM   #12
Agent WD-40

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnnArborBoy View Post
Winter tires are definitely worth the money if your Camaro is your daily car. I have a 2SS/RS that I mounted Pirelli Ice and Snow on 20 inch Sport Muscle wheels. I've driven around in a couple of inches of unplowed snow without any troubles at all. Actually do better than most front-wheel drive cars with all-season tires.

Check out the Wheels and Tires Talk section and look for the FAQ Winter Tires thread. Buying tires from Rudy at TireRack is quick and painless (relatively speaking). He'll get you the best price around.
+1.

Pirelli Ice and Snow are awesome! Between my wifes FWD car with all seasons and the RWD Camaro with snow tires we both prefer to drive the Camaro in the snow. I cannot believe how well the Camaro does in the snow.
Stainless Works 1 7/8" Long Tube Headers
Corsa Exhaust
Agent WD-40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:05 PM   #13
LYCAN
Tattooed K9

Drives: E63AMG
The pic below was taken of my car by the Olathe News:

Spend $2K on a cheap snow car or be very selective about the route (and go slow)....that is my advice.

I had a really bad crash in the snow one year in my C5 when I hit a patch of black ice. My car did a 360 on the interstate and slammed into a semi. It broke my neck in three places. Big fat tires on a car or SUV is a No No. You will get the "sled effect" going. If you absolutely MUST then do the Scoprian or Blizzaks. They do ok. Had them on my M3 for a while and did well, just don't go around a corner too fast or the tire will buckle.

My expert advice would be to avoid snow in a Camaro, Vette, Mustang, etc unless you have no other choice or you are an experienced snow driver like many of the "snow veterans" from the UP in Michigan. As you can see it doesn't take much snow/ice to throw one of these cars into a spin. Here is my car:

Last edited by LYCAN; 01-12-2011 at 06:07 PM.
LYCAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2011, 12:22 PM   #14
memphisboi55

Drives: n/a
^
wow, your alive??!

whewww
memphisboi55 is offline   Reply With Quote