Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Suspension / Brakes / Chassis

Old 07-03-2011, 04:06 PM   #1
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
BMR endlinks failure.... my experience!

I want to say first straight up, this is NOT a BMR bashing thread! In fact it's quite the opposite! It's about my experience with their endlinks and their response to it! The only thing I fault BMR on is their vague and poorly written instructions!

I purchased a set of 4 of the BMR adjustable endlinks back in March from ApexChase in conjunction with sways, subframe inserts and trailing arms and installed them myself using BMR's instructions. By the time the weather here broke it was early April and finally had a chance to try it out! I was impressed by the firm controlled feel of the suspension and I was very pleased! I had NO squeeks or rattles and all seemed OK!

As time went on I noticed some clunking over bumps, especially on turns, but thought nothing of it because it was very rare and not bad at all. I read a thread about the early BMR gold colored endlinks making noise but mine were the new silver looking ones, so I thought I should be OK! By mid May though, it was getting worse. I crawled under the car a couple times and re-torqued and inspected but all was OK. I installed the "toilet mod" rubber caps on the front struts and that helped going up the driveway bump but I still had the clunking over bumps on turns!

I contacted ApexChase and he refered me to BMR tech support. BMR had me re-check the torques and the "facing" of the endlinks. I had everything faced properly, which by the way they make NO mention of in the instructions. When I originally installed them I set them up EXACTLY like the stock ones! I reported this to BMR. We then decided to remove the BMR's and install the stock ones (actually this was MY decision) to see if it made any difference. With the stockers there was NO clunking! When I removed and inspected the BMR's there were 2 that the bearing was VERY loose and looked like the inner black nylon was dissintegrating, pics attached!

I contacted BMR tech support and they said to return them for analysis. I said OK but I want a refund because I don't trust the design. They said OK but they would have to credit Apex and then Apex will refund me. I got my refund check from Apex last week and all is good!

I just want to say that all parties involved at BMR and Apex treated me well and were very professional! We went through a troubleshooting procedure and ultimatly decided on returning for a refund! The only headache for me was all the jacking up, crawling under, re-torquing, test driving, etc.! The whole proccess took about a month and 1/2 and was a PITA!

Bottom line is I want to know if anyone else has the NEW BMR silver endlinks and are getting the clunking. I also want to thank all parties involved for not hanging me out to dry but working with me to resolve the problem! I'll keep the stockers on for now. I probably really didn't NEED the endlinks anyway cause I'm not doing any racing, just spirited street driving, so the stockers will probably do just fine!

I'm now waiting on the results of their analysis and the only advise I have for BMR is to improve your installation instructions with more detail and better pictures for us DIY'ers! Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post!
Attached Images

ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 04:56 PM   #2
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Glad they took care of you! How many miles do you have on the new ones?
Old 07-03-2011, 05:17 PM   #3
calbert1999
Camaro SS Lover

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black IOM
I had the same problem with another brand as well, unlike you though, I installed mine last summer all was good for awhile until I had the squeking, grinding and thunking noises.
We blasted and lubed them and all was good again until late autum, at which point the vehicle was put in storage for winter. We removed the end-links this spring, and still attempting to get some kind of resulution from the manufacturer who is promising some kind of service pack (I don't think will work and I'll be out $500) and will end up having to go with Pedders or have a proper pair made.
My understanding is generally these end-links are used for track use, removed / cleaned up / re-installed for next track meet.
The manufacturers / vendors should have realized people would want these in their street cars not only track vehicles and made them accordingly.

Pedders, version (joints are similar to stock / street versions).
Attached Images

Old 07-03-2011, 05:39 PM   #4
blazzin1

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS R6P
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
I want to say first straight up, this is NOT a BMR bashing thread! In fact it's quite the opposite! It's about my experience with their endlinks and their response to it! The only thing I fault BMR on is their vague and poorly written instructions!

I purchased a set of 4 of the BMR adjustable endlinks back in March from ApexChase in conjunction with sways, subframe inserts and trailing arms and installed them myself using BMR's instructions. By the time the weather here broke it was early April and finally had a chance to try it out! I was impressed by the firm controlled feel of the suspension and I was very pleased! I had NO squeeks or rattles and all seemed OK!

As time went on I noticed some clunking over bumps, especially on turns, but thought nothing of it because it was very rare and not bad at all. I read a thread about the early BMR gold colored endlinks making noise but mine were the new silver looking ones, so I thought I should be OK! By mid May though, it was getting worse. I crawled under the car a couple times and re-torqued and inspected but all was OK. I installed the "toilet mod" rubber caps on the front struts and that helped going up the driveway bump but I still had the clunking over bumps on turns!

I contacted ApexChase and he refered me to BMR tech support. BMR had me re-check the torques and the "facing" of the endlinks. I had everything faced properly, which by the way they make NO mention of in the instructions. When I originally installed them I set them up EXACTLY like the stock ones! I reported this to BMR. We then decided to remove the BMR's and install the stock ones (actually this was MY decision) to see if it made any difference. With the stockers there was NO clunking! When I removed and inspected the BMR's there were 2 that the bearing was VERY loose and looked like the inner black nylon was dissintegrating, pics attached!

I contacted BMR tech support and they said to return them for analysis. I said OK but I want a refund because I don't trust the design. They said OK but they would have to credit Apex and then Apex will refund me. I got my refund check from Apex last week and all is good!

I just want to say that all parties involved at BMR and Apex treated me well and were very professional! We went through a troubleshooting procedure and ultimatly decided on returning for a refund! The only headache for me was all the jacking up, crawling under, re-torquing, test driving, etc.! The whole proccess took about a month and 1/2 and was a PITA!

Bottom line is I want to know if anyone else has the NEW BMR silver endlinks and are getting the clunking. I also want to thank all parties involved for not hanging me out to dry but working with me to resolve the problem! I'll keep the stockers on for now. I probably really didn't NEED the endlinks anyway cause I'm not doing any racing, just spirited street driving, so the stockers will probably do just fine!

I'm now waiting on the results of their analysis and the only advise I have for BMR is to improve your installation instructions with more detail and better pictures for us DIY'ers! Thanks for reading and sorry for the long post!
So, I have my Brand New BMR End Links sitting here waiting on a free day for me to install them......then I see this!!!! So can you please elaborate on which way they are supposed to be facing when installed???? You're right, the instructions are very vague. And I'm assuming you just measure from bolt to bolt on the OEM links and then just adjust these to the same measurement??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
blazzin1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-03-2011, 06:38 PM   #5
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by blazzin1 View Post
So, I have my Brand New BMR End Links sitting here waiting on a free day for me to install them......then I see this!!!! So can you please elaborate on which way they are supposed to be facing when installed???? You're right, the instructions are very vague. And I'm assuming you just measure from bolt to bolt on the OEM links and then just adjust these to the same measurement??? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
Yes I matched mine as closely to the stock ones as possible! When you install them make sure there is equal travel in both directions. I would also consult with BMR for proper facing if you're not sure! This is more critical on the front ones than the back.
Old 07-03-2011, 06:39 PM   #6
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by calbert1999 View Post
I had the same problem with another brand as well, unlike you though, I installed mine last summer all was good for awhile until I had the squeking, grinding and thunking noises.
We blasted and lubed them and all was good again until late autum, at which point the vehicle was put in storage for winter. We removed the end-links this spring, and still attempting to get some kind of resulution from the manufacturer who is promising some kind of service pack (I don't think will work and I'll be out $500) and will end up having to go with Pedders or have a proper pair made.
My understanding is generally these end-links are used for track use, removed / cleaned up / re-installed for next track meet.
The manufacturers / vendors should have realized people would want these in their street cars not only track vehicles and made them accordingly.

Pedders, version (joints are similar to stock / street versions).
Yea, Pedders look to be the closest to the OEM configuration and shouldn't have this issue!
Old 07-03-2011, 07:15 PM   #7
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
I have zero issues with mine!!
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2011, 12:00 PM   #8
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Quote:
Originally Posted by steeleshark2 View Post
I have zero issues with mine!!
Good to hear! How many miles do you have on them?
Old 07-06-2011, 11:28 PM   #9
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
No problems with mine, they have over 7500 miles on them.
Old 07-06-2011, 11:37 PM   #10
SUX2BU
Quit being a pu$$y

Drives: FAST
I have every BMR suspension piece on my car except for these sway bar end links. I just don't trust spherical rod ends to be quiet on a car.
SUX2BU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2011, 11:51 PM   #11
So Cal Camaro
So Cal Race Team

Drives: 2013 Camaro
So far, they are quiet on mine.