Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 02-18-2010, 12:46 PM   #1
Dre2216

Drives: 1SS IOM M6
Car Starts Itself While Driving

I am not sure if anyone has had similiar problems to me. According to my dealer and GM, there are no similiar cases that they know of. Hopefully this doesnt happen to anyone else. See the thread below.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=64418

NKKV6J---2G1FS1EW4A9134727
SLP LM II

2/26 - Car Back From Dealer!
Dre2216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2010, 04:35 PM   #2
HeavyD

Drives: 1SSRS RY L99
The starter relay gets power to terminal 85 either from the engine ECM or the body controller, not the key switch. The key switch sends a command to the body controller. The starter is computer controlled. Either another circuit is shorting to the wire that goes to the relay terminal 85, or the ECM or body controller is screwing up and sending 12v randomly. The relay itself could be the problem too. The movable contact points are too close or the return spring is broken. Those relays are "suppressed" relays too. They have to be installed in the proper orientation to prevent a small voltage spike being created when the magnetic field collapses when the relay turns off. Voltage spikes can cause a lot of havoc. My starter and run/crank relays were actually installed backwards when compared to the picture we have here for the fuse pull thing. I checked and terminal 30, (which is constant battery power) is bottom right pin when looking at the engine from the front. The relay has the pin locations molded in the plastic and pins 30 and 87 were backwards and 85 and 86 were backwards when the relay is installed backwards. The relay will still work, actually 30 and 87 don't matter at all, but in a suppressed relay, 85 and 86 must be in the correct orientation. There is a diode and capacitor that prevents the back voltage spike from re-entering the circuit. With the relay installed backwards that spike will travel down the circuit to the computer, possibly damaging the solid state electronics. I think the whole fuse/relay panel is a molded printed circuit board too. There may be some thing shorting out on it too. I am curious as to what they find! Keep us posted!
HeavyD is offline   Reply With Quote