Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 04-27-2010, 07:49 PM   #1
ZuluKilla8

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS/RS RJT
NO2

Hey guys, thinkin about putting a 50-75 Shot of NO2 in my SS, besides the kit, what else is needed to run the NO2 at that amount of shot. Could you run that stock or need a tune and what not?

Thanks!
2010 Camaro SS LS3 Holley Hi-Ram Manifold,Custom grind boost cam,Vortech V-3,10Rib 3.47 Pully Airfilter Pipe Delete, 10 PSI, TSP LT Headers, Flowmaster Outlaws, Alky Control Meth Kit, PFADT 1.25, ZL1 Fuel Pump, DSS 1000HP axles, Mantic ER2 Clutch, Full BMR rear suspension drag pack upgrade. C6 Vette 18 rims with M/T 305 out back. COPO Hood
Race Proven Motorsports tuned
ZuluKilla8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 07:51 PM   #2
sspaul

Drives: 2010 ss camaro, imperial blue
Send a message via AIM to sspaul Send a message via Yahoo to sspaul
i would go with a tune, also a free flowing exhaust will help, and a cai, that should help you get the most performane out of it
www.twitter.com/1djchampagne
mods: borla long tube headers, borla atak catback, lingenfelter gt-9 cam, ported heads, ecs base kit running 11 psi on top end, 1" bmr drop spring, aam 3.70 gears, ported throttle body, 160* thermorstat, lethal racing tune

750/641 rwhp/rwtq
sspaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2010, 08:00 PM   #3
ZuluKilla8

Yea i have a CAI already and exhaust cut outs
2010 Camaro SS LS3 Holley Hi-Ram Manifold,Custom grind boost cam,Vortech V-3,10Rib 3.47 Pully Airfilter Pipe Delete, 10 PSI, TSP LT Headers, Flowmaster Outlaws, Alky Control Meth Kit, PFADT 1.25, ZL1 Fuel Pump, DSS 1000HP axles, Mantic ER2 Clutch, Full BMR rear suspension drag pack upgrade. C6 Vette 18 rims with M/T 305 out back. COPO Hood
Old 04-27-2010, 08:34 PM   #4
LC
ou mai gad

Drives: SW 2SS x2
for the safety side.. Fuel pressure switch, window switch, TPS sensor, etc...
Old 04-27-2010, 08:47 PM   #5
jrpxxii

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS 427ci
You can run up to a 75 shot with no tune. Anything beyond that will require adding timing and tune. I have the Zex kit which only operates at WOT.
jrpxxii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 07:34 AM   #6
SK360
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
You can run up to a 75 shot with no tune. Anything beyond that will require adding timing and tune. I have the Zex kit which only operates at WOT.
You mean Subtracting
SK360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 08:37 AM   #7
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Quote:
Originally Posted by jrpxxii View Post
I think that is wrong, you can tell me otherwise if i am misunderstanding but i always thought that a tune is recommended or required with a 10% change in power.
mcdoogle6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 09:01 AM   #8
SK360
Account Suspended

Drives: 2005 Pontiac GTO
I sprayed a 125 wet shot on my GTO on the stock tune. Monitored with a wideband and watched for KR on the HPTuners scanner and everything was fine.
SK360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 10:57 AM   #9
danhr
BAMF SS

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1SS A8
Send a message via AIM to danhr
WOW.... all I have to say is WOW. So much wrong information has been said in this thread already. You can tell ALMOST every single person that has posted in this thread has no experience with nitrous.

First off, YOU DO NOT ADD TIMING WITH NITROUS... YOU BACK OUT/TAKE AWAY/RETARD TIMING. If you think you add timing for nitrous, you need to refrain from giving anyone any kind of information about it, because that is nitrous 101 stuff right there.

If you are going with a 50-75... or even 100 shot of nitrous I would go with a dry system. It dials your a/f in better than the fuel jet will, and it's not a big enough shot to max out your injectors. Switch out to tr6 spark plugs. If you are on the stock tune and are staying with a 100 shot or below, you should not need to take out any more timing. These motors don't require a lot of timing to make power, they come from the factory with roughly 20* of timing. That's plenty low enough to throw a 100 shot on there. I would, of course, verify this on a dyno with a a/f readout and check to see if you have any detonation.

A fuel pressure safety switch is pointless. Anyone in their right mind doesn't run one. Verify pressure on a dyno with a gauge and be done with it.

A window switch if highly recommended, as well at a WOT/TPS switch.

If you do decide to get a tune on your car, timing MAY have to be pulled out. Generally speaking it's 1* of timing/50 shot. But this should be verified on a dyno, as stated before.

Stock Longblock

800 SAE rwhp. 9.4 @ 145 mph.
danhr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post
WOW.... all I have to say is WOW. So much wrong information has been said in this thread already. You can tell ALMOST every single person that has posted in this thread has no experience with nitrous.

First off, YOU DO NOT ADD TIMING WITH NITROUS... YOU BACK OUT/TAKE AWAY/RETARD TIMING. If you think you add timing for nitrous, you need to refrain from giving anyone any kind of information about it, because that is nitrous 101 stuff right there.

If you are going with a 50-75... or even 100 shot of nitrous I would go with a dry system. It dials your a/f in better than the fuel jet will, and it's not a big enough shot to max out your injectors. Switch out to tr6 spark plugs. If you are on the stock tune and are staying with a 100 shot or below, you should not need to take out any more timing. These motors don't require a lot of timing to make power, they come from the factory with roughly 20* of timing. That's plenty low enough to throw a 100 shot on there. I would, of course, verify this on a dyno with a a/f readout and check to see if you have any detonation.

A fuel pressure safety switch is pointless. Anyone in their right mind doesn't run one. Verify pressure on a dyno with a gauge and be done with it.

If you do decide to get a tune on your car, timing MAY have to be pulled out. Generally speaking it's 1* of timing/50 shot. But this should be verified on a dyno, as stated before.
Everyone on tech has said to use the non-projected tip plugs like the BR7EF instead of the TR6's just for that little bit of safety although with that small a shot you should be ok with the TR6's.

As stated above on the stock tune your timing on a 50-75 should be ok but not if you have a tune as they usually add more timing to improve performance.

As for the FPSS(fuel pressure safety switch) for what it costs it could save your engine if you fuel pump dies or the pressure drops and leans you out too much.

If you need a nitrous kit or any accessories ie. FPSS, window switch, progressive controller etc. let me know I have most of those items in stock.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 02:48 PM   #11
mcdoogle6969

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS, 2008 Heritage 300C
Quote:
Originally Posted by danhr View Post

Relax, bro.
mcdoogle6969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2010, 05:19 PM   #12
ZuluKilla8

Nice, thanks...got some thinkin to do before I pull the trigger
Old 05-30-2011, 04:48 PM   #13
trans665

Drives: 2013 2ss
what do u buy to control the timing, for instance,say I'm going to the track..is there a device that will pull my timing before a run, and put my timing back to stock after the track day,
i have a whole plate system that came in Friday with all the goodies, but this timing thing is really on my mind before i pull the trigger
trans665 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2011, 07:00 PM   #14
trans665

Drives: 2013 2ss
so i can spray a 100 shot safely with out taking timing out? thats good to know, but i really wanted to spray a 150, thats why i was asking,
do the hand held tuners from hypertech or SCT retard timing?
trans665 is offline   Reply With Quote