Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 04-21-2013, 07:38 PM   #71
mikepage0007

Drives: 2010 camaro
murphy,s law, this ain,t overhaulin..lol
Old 04-22-2013, 09:25 PM   #72
mattyjman

Drives: 2013 2SS 1LE
so, yesterday i'm complaining about how long this is taking me...

today i decided to do something about it. i work quite a bit, and normally feel too tired to bust out some more work when getting home. tonight i got home at 6, and while not much can be done in 1 hour, it's one less thing that i need to do later

i masked up a few areas that i was going to be glassing and didn't want to get messy, and took to it ...

i laid down 1-2 layers of chop on the top and around the back side of the top of the enclosure... the parts that's harder to get inside the enclosure, and then laid up about 2-3 layers of woven mat on top of the chop to finish it out. the rest of the enclosure can be strengthened from the inside, so that's what i will do next.

left and right sides .... so purrty...

no holes, no gaps, and i'll make a sludge mix when all is done and slather the inside for final strength.

last night i also finished wrapping the 2nd AS 200.4, and need to order some more carbon wrap for the A Class and the remaining pieces of the install that I'll be trimming out.
mattyjman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 01:55 AM   #73
Liam
Tampa Bay Camaros

Drives: 2016 Camaro 2SS, Hyper Blue
Wow that is a lot of serious work! It's coming along really well, but man I'd be pretty nervous about glassing right over those wire harnesses. Needless to say if there is ever a wiring issue it would be near impossible to get to without tearing out the fiberglass.
Liam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2013, 08:49 AM   #74
mattyjman

^ yes true... but how often do you have a "wire" issue where you need to replace wires that are in a bundle? its normally not a wirin bundle that goes bad... at least that was my thoughts.
Old 04-24-2013, 07:30 AM   #75
baum

Drives: 2013 1LS, 2013 Ram 1500
Quote:
Originally Posted by Liam View Post
Wow that is a lot of serious work! It's coming along really well, but man I'd be pretty nervous about glassing right over those wire harnesses. Needless to say if there is ever a wiring issue it would be near impossible to get to without tearing out the fiberglass.
I was thinking the same thing about wiring. If it was me i would have protected it with tape or a foil something so you can still get the contour tightly, but are still able to get it out. even if you mix your resin too hot it can melt your wires.
baum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2013, 09:07 PM   #76
mattyjman

^ no matter what, the wiring bundle is not going to be accessible, as the enclosure is fiberglassed directly to the car, so none of this was a concern. in addition, the wiring bundle is loose and is not glassed, with the exception with the entrance and exit from the enclosure.

everything is working fine, so i know the wires didn't melt.

i admit, it's not very "repair" friendly, but nor is any part of this enclosure. if i had to do it again i would have protected it "just in case", but again... i didn't see it, nor has it become, a big issue.

Last edited by mattyjman; 04-25-2013 at 09:28 PM.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:29 PM   #77
mattyjman

ok, still not much to do as i make meager progress with the midbass pods.

i layed down a healthy amount of layers of kyntex to the inside portion of the enclosure... this is a much thicker mat and allows a quick, strong build up, but it suffers in formability. lucky for me, formability isn't much of an issue since the panels are flat for the most part.

on the passenger side, i did the back wall first, and then the sides to the left and right of it. i repeated the same on the drivers side but was only able to get the back wall done before it got dark. i think i may have about 4 oz of resin left, enough to do the side walls tomorrow.

(looking at this made me laugh... made me remember just how far I've come in my install ability. the g35 was my first real build, but i knew nothing then ... http://www.diymobileaudio.com/forum/904799-post109.html )

so, with there only being a bit of resin left before I'm completely dry, I placed an order last night for some goodies... looks like i'll need to take a departure from the pods and focus on some other areas....

this weekend, I hope to be able to start addressing some of the trunk pieces... amp rack, IB wall, bitone mount, and battery relocation... and of course, i still need to do mlv and stuffs back there.

making progress. slow and steady wins the race.
Old 04-25-2013, 09:35 PM   #78
Chris-10

Drives: 2ss/rs vr 6m
Looks good man, Rome wasn't built in a day...
Old 04-26-2013, 09:00 PM   #79
mattyjman

minor update, since today is friday... just got the drivers side walls done. 3 layers of kyntex each...

quick note about expanding foam - it dissolves slowly with resin... luckily not fast enough to be a worry in this case, but i thought it was interesting to note.

so, tapping around on the exterior panel was fun... all around it sounds like it should, flimsy sheet metal with nothing around it... then you get to the enclosure, and you get a satisfying thud.

with the exception of the mud paste i'll be applying, this marks the end of the fiberglassing of the inner midbass tubs

NOW I can say I'm making progress...
Old 05-01-2013, 09:25 PM   #80
midnightwarrior
Its so hard

Drives: 2010 SS, 2009 Yamaha Warrior
Update?
midnightwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:36 PM   #81
mattyjman

sure, i got the other amp wrapped

and a "guts" shot for any electronics geeks

other news, I'm waiting on my order of replacement resin to finish up the midbass pods.

and I'm outsourcing some metal fab work for the trunk.

tomorrow I drop the car off at a buddies shop, and he'll be doing the fabrication for the amp rack, bitone rack, and battery replacement rack...

while he has it, he'll be cutting the kicks, and i'll be moving my midrange speakers to the kick area (i'd do it myslef, but i figured if he's got it, why not ) ... this should improve depth and decrease path length differences so I don't have to use as much eq and time alignment to get good staging for both passengers. width will be increased as well, since i'll be recessing them "in" to the kick panel area about 1/4" ... this will be outside of the boundaries of the a-pillars... so if the staging is done right, i should get a stage wider than the physical boundaries of the car

i'm also getting tint done at the same time, and upgrading the battery to a Stinger battery...

once that is returned to me, I'll resume work and hopefully within another week or so, have everything wired up at least.

finishing work on panels, amp rack, kick panel areas will take a while, but I'll at least have a functional stereo while i'm doing that.
Old 05-02-2013, 08:50 AM   #82
midnightwarrior
Its so hard

Drives: 2010 SS, 2009 Yamaha Warrior
I'm assuming you have some quality recording stuff as well. If you do could you record the sound when your finished with your install?
midnightwarrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2013, 07:26 PM   #83
mattyjman

i don't actually... never really thought you could capture the same experience over video so i've never tried. i'll definitely post up my listening impressions though
Old 05-03-2013, 08:03 PM   #84
mattyjman

so, minor update but i'm so stoked that i can't wait for more pictures. my buddy Jon, from Handcrafted Car Audio in Mesa, is working on the metal fab portions I mentioned earlier.

Looking at the (almost) final for the amp rack I realize now just how challenging I made it, and he came through like a champ There is NO way I could have taken what I wanted to do, and done it with my woodworking skills... metal fab was the only way to go.

more to come and more pieces to display, but here's a teaser until I get it all back.