Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-03-2014, 11:52 AM   #29
Frans96ss

Drives: 96SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevieturbo View Post
But again there are many ways to configure and plumb the gate for control, and each way will operate differently.
This i will agree with it also depends on which WG they use. Generally I have seen a few Lbs high than the spring pressure (5psi spring make 8-9psi) I have never seen a 5-8psi spring make 15-20psi.

Generally on standard wastegate hook up they want a boost line ran to the bottom of the waste gate.
Frans96ss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 11:59 AM   #30
stevieturbo

Drives: it changes
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans96ss View Post
This i will agree with it also depends on which WG they use. Generally I have seen a few Lbs high than the spring pressure (5psi spring make 8-9psi) I have never seen a 5-8psi spring make 15-20psi.

Generally on standard wastegate hook up they want a boost line ran to the bottom of the waste gate.
If you remove the pressure signal from the bottom port, then you will cause an overboost because EGBP may have a hard time forcing the valve open against the spring..
EGBP is a big variable across platforms and designs.

So you could never simply install a spring, use no signal lines to the chamber and expect boost to be anywhere near spring pressure. A 1" valve would require far more EGBP to push open than a 2" valve for the same spring pressure.

It is the signal line to the bottom port that keeps boost in line with the spring pressure. This is not a big variable, hence it is the normal method of controlling boost. It is a fairly consistent method.
stevieturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 12:00 PM   #31
JANNETTYRACING

Drives: BLUE CAMARO ZL1 1LE M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frans96ss View Post
Not sure what you mean by this but running no Vacuum lines to the top of the waste gate will make it run on spring pressure only...

The way you increase boost is by restricting the vacuum going to the waste gate.... He can take the vacuum lines off the top of the gate all day and it would not over boost.
I am sure we all use different language in certain situations.

A vacuum Line would would be for an N/A application.

When I talk Turbos I Say boost reference Line in regards to Wastegates.

We increase boost by Bleeding off some of the Boost Reference signal that would normally open the wastegate and control boost.

Essentially what a Manual boost controller does.

I Promise you if you do not run a boost reference line to the wastegate Over Boost Will Occur.

The Exhaust back Pressure is not enough to overcome the wastegate spring without the boost reference to help.

There may be an exception to this rule if your using a 2 lb spring.

Most come with at least a 7 PSI spring, and it takes 7PSI of boost Pressure Reference signal to overcome that spring and open the wastegate.

Pull the line off and boost will go at least double

Ted.
JANNETTYRACING is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 04:52 PM   #32
SRT10KLLR

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
You can increase boost by bleeding off from the bottom WG port or adding to the top WG port.
SRT10KLLR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2014, 05:10 PM   #33
RobRiot88

Drives: 2010 SS 6m, black on black.
I think i already said this, but i believe my issue was with the intake manifold reference line being knocked off. I had to make sure it was very secure and tested it with some air. Holds up. I wont know if that was my real issue until i get a new driveshaft. Waiting for this bad luck to get up off me. Great info though guys.

Tags
stabilitrack, turbo, turbonetics