Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 04-10-2010, 11:29 PM   #1
speed racer
Speed Racer

Drives: 2010 SuperCharged SS/RS
Can I nstall a Maggie TVS2300 without Headers?

Hey guys, this might sound like a stupid questions... I am in the process of getting a TVS2300 for my L99 and will be installing it myself... My real question is, do I really have to have Headers... I hate the way they sound.( Way to Raspy ). I have the stock manifolds and a CAI with the Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back System and a Pro Tune.... I love the deep sound the car makes now and I really don't want to get headers....

Will I still get a Big HP Increase from what I have now?

My car Dyno'd with the CAI and Flowmasters and tune @ 335 RWHP....

What do you think I would get with the Maggie and no Headers with my current set up..... Thanks Guys
speed racer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2010, 04:51 AM   #2
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by speed racer View Post
Hey guys, this might sound like a stupid questions... I am in the process of getting a TVS2300 for my L99 and will be installing it myself... My real question is, do I really have to have Headers... I hate the way they sound.( Way to Raspy ). I have the stock manifolds and a CAI with the Flowmaster American Thunder Cat Back System and a Pro Tune.... I love the deep sound the car makes now and I really don't want to get headers....

Will I still get a Big HP Increase from what I have now?

My car Dyno'd with the CAI and Flowmasters and tune @ 335 RWHP....

What do you think I would get with the Maggie and no Headers with my current set up..... Thanks Guys
sorry... wrong section... this is the V6 section..
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:04 PM   #3
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
L99 responds well to FI...with a good tune, I would say 480 to 500rwhp..even without headers.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:08 PM   #4
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Moved,

Actually if you want to get the Maggie 3 yr 36000 mile drive train warranty you can't have any other mods.

ffrcobra is right. you will get close to 500 at the wheels with just the maggie and their handheld tune.

and a warranty...
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 04:28 PM   #5
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
This is my thoughts on the stock maggie tune and hp output...not the final answer and my Camaro may be the odd dog out here but....

I have an LS3, on the stock maggie tune and when I went to the dyno I only made 446 hp to the rear wheels. At the crank I was sitting at 513 (figure drive line loss of 15%) which is being very modest!). Stock air box, stock exhaust manifolds.

I'd suspect you would get more out of a good tune, headers and a cam than you'll see out of a maggie running the stock tune, and do it cheaper since you already have an intake (which by the way won't work with the supercharger) and exhaust.

This of course is if you use the stock maggie tune. Now, if you get it tuned, you'll see a decent gain but not anywhere around 500 REAR WHEEL HP...might hit 425 or 450 tops with the L99 and no headers.

The stock maggie tune, on the stock air box with stock manifolds is very, very conservative and doesn't put out a ton of HP. Yes it picks up around 75 - 100 total but to keep that warranty from Magnuson, you have to have the stock air box and the stock exhaust manifolds.

You dyno'd at 335...so at most, you'll see 435 to the wheels with the maggie and stock tune. I'd suspect more along the lines of 410 or 415 since you'll lose your intake.

I'm adding LTs, CAI, smaller pulley and a good tune to mine to get that magic number of 500 hp to the rear wheels! Without those supporting mods, I've yet to see a maggie put out more than 450 - 475 hp to the rear wheels...maybe you'll get lucky?

My experience...your's may be different!

Oh...your original question...yes, you can install without headers. (see above for expected results)
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:13 PM   #6
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
also, don't forget to take into account when counting every single hp......Dynos are not all the same. You could net 500 in one dyno, go to another dyno down the block and see different numbers.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-22-2010, 05:30 PM   #7
Legend
Hello!

Drives: 2008 JSB Z06!
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
also, don't forget to take into account when counting every single hp......Dynos are not all the same. You could net 500 in one dyno, go to another dyno down the block and see different numbers.
True...but I know of 2 other folks who dyno'd after "just the maggie" and both were within 10hp of my dyno (one over and one under).

My point is, you don't "bolt on" 125hp with the maggie by itself (and then add it to 426hp!)...you need the supporting mods and most important, a tune...to get those 500+ real world hp numbers everyone posts on the site!

Plus, do those mods and kiss the stock maggie warranty good bye!

It's a blast to drive, much better feel and more power than stock for sure. But at that cost, for the stock tune...LTs, CAI, cam and a tune is the better route to go unless you feel the extra $2K is worth a 3yr/36K warranty (since that is what you will spend on a maggie over the mods)

If you want 500+hp...then F/I is a good, albeit not the only, route to go.
Legend is offline   Reply With Quote