Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Audio, Video, Bluetooth, Navigation, Radar, Electronics Forum

Old 12-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #15
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by brantley847 View Post
Those are just the cops you see, my friend
The LEOs using Laser are usually very visible out on the freeway...

As Wolverine1 pointed out.... most LEOs just leave their radar on all the time...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 03:24 PM   #16
SSOOCH
Camaro SL,UTs

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS/RS #16429
Speed at your local track please.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:25 PM   #17
jhmurphy

Drives: Grey Beast
Mine has saved me more times than I can count. Worth every penny spent on it. Also get the updates it is worth it since every city is going to red light cameras and you will want the updates.
Old 12-12-2010, 03:43 PM   #18
Nutbutt

Drives: 2011 RJT 2LT/RS Convertible
Like most here I find that I will drift over the limit every once in a while. I find that on the back roads in the small towns is where I need it the most. Limits going from 45 down to 25 will have the locals camping out just waiting for people unfamiliar with the area. This is the main reason I have the passport in my car ! Any ticket in Ma. results in a huge surcharge on insurance that keeps on taking !
Old 12-12-2010, 04:33 PM   #19
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by scrming View Post
The LEOs using Laser are usually very visible out on the freeway...

As Wolverine1 pointed out.... most LEOs just leave their radar on all the time...
You mean what I initially said lol..You guys are lucky then. Troopers here..it seems like they set up sniper cots 30 feet up in the trees...wear camo and pick off speeders. and then proceed to relay that info to 3 or 4 troopers down the road....

I have actually gotten tagged from troopers who parked in a lot, blended in with other cars, and hit me from about half a mile away with a laser...he was already pulling out side by side with me at the red light. I was just SOL either way there...
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 04:42 PM   #20
nick at night

Drives: 2003 silverado
I have a 9500xi... its worth it. It does a great job of detecting early and long distance. I love the way it stores false readings if you encounter them 3 times, no annoying buzzing for no reason.

That being said, your pretty much screwed anyway if they LIDAR you
nick at night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 08:39 PM   #21
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Drives: 2010 Silver/Black 2SS/RS Manual
It's you money and you can do what ever you want with it. I see the highway patrol using LIDAR here in Northern California on a daily basis and can't remember the last time I say a LEO holding a non-laser gun. I'm sure that the in-car radar unit is still non-laser and the detectors will probably work if the cop leaves it on all of the time. California is in big financial trouble and the LEO is very hungry around here, my guess on why CHP hasn't had to lay any officers off is because of all the increased revenue that has come in this last year. I bet that if you could find the citation revenue and compared it to that of three years ago that it would at least have doubled. The best defense against tickets is to use your power and speed at the very few tracks that are still open. It is very hard to contain the stock power these cars put out, I saw that today when I let a friend drive my car and he was having a hard time trying to maintain the speed limit.
Old 12-12-2010, 10:30 PM   #22
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
I am driving from florida to texas... If that helps any
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:45 AM   #23
brantley847
v It bites.

Drives: 2011 IBM 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver2SSRS6spd View Post
It's you money and you can do what ever you want with it. I see the highway patrol using LIDAR here in Northern California on a daily basis and can't remember the last time I say a LEO holding a non-laser gun. I'm sure that the in-car radar unit is still non-laser and the detectors will probably work if the cop leaves it on all of the time. California is in big financial trouble and the LEO is very hungry around here, my guess on why CHP hasn't had to lay any officers off is because of all the increased revenue that has come in this last year. I bet that if you could find the citation revenue and compared it to that of three years ago that it would at least have doubled. The best defense against tickets is to use your power and speed at the very few tracks that are still open. It is very hard to contain the stock power these cars put out, I saw that today when I let a friend drive my car and he was having a hard time trying to maintain the speed limit.
Actually, believe it not most departments only receive 2-3% of the fee assessed on citations. Most of it goes across the state to education, roadways, and other government entities...go figure. I can tell you honestly without bias, there is not enough income generated from tickets to employ officers. Maybe purchase new equipment, but not personnel...

THE REAL money is in the red light cameras. Now THOSE are a scam. Last I checked (in Florida) the court of appeals advised state statute could not be used only city ordinances. Which means the PD gets 50% of the fine...

What you guys haven't seen yet and they are training some of us on, is these red light cameras are receiving software upgrades and now have speed monitoring devices which apparently do not use radar (Some do, some don't). Instead they use distance markers on the roadways and calculate the amount of time it takes you to travel that distance to give a speed...so detectors won't work unless it has the software updates that know where any given camera is located. However, it is just a matter of time before they are at EVERY single intersection, EVERY stretch of highway. Just wait...even as a cop...I'll admit it is about to get bad....California, I am sure your highways will get to taste them first.
Performance: 439 RWHP: 226/236 Comp Cam, Kooks 1-7/8, CAInc, Borla S type, Vmax TB, Rx Catch Can, Trans cooler, SLP 160 termo, Melling high volume, Eibach Springs/Sways 1" drop, Whiteline complete bushing kit.
brantley847 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 05:48 AM   #24
xx_ED_xx

Drives: 04 Silverado
They are all over here in korea, and all the gps road map things tell you were they are hell they have signs to tell you thay are coming up if you pay attention.
xx_ED_xx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 08:29 AM   #25
INTIMIDAT3R
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 2SS/RS L99, '12 2LS LFX
I use my Whistler 555 or my Passport 8500, depending on my mood because my Whistler has a red text display and my 8500 has a blue text display. BOTH are exceptional in detecting EVERYTHING, even LIDAR and BOTH are INVISIBLE to radar detector detectors.

I also use my GPS. It is loaded with locations for speed cameras, red light cameras, and speed traps from www.PhantomAlert.com. I have the distance set at 2500 feet to warn me to slow down. This also happens to be the maximum effective range of the LIDAR guns. This distance can be adjusted to your own liking.

On a special note, the "passive" Radar/Lazer Jammers/Scramblers sold at Rocky Mountain Radar DO NOT work. This has been proven on more than one occasion through law enforcement, Mythbusters, and RadarBusters.com. In fact, RadarBusters.com offers a $50,000 award to ANY manufacturer who proves their "passive scramblers/jammers" work. NONE have stepped up to the plate.
INTIMIDAT3R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-13-2010, 09:48 AM   #26
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Quote:
Actually, believe it not most departments only receive 2-3% of the fee assessed on citations. Most of it goes across the state to education, roadways, and other government entities...go figure. I can tell you honestly without bias, there is not enough income generated from tickets to employ officers. Maybe purchase new equipment, but not personnel...

THE REAL money is in the red light cameras. Now THOSE are a scam. Last I checked (in Florida) the court of appeals advised state statute could not be used only city ordinances. Which means the PD gets 50% of the fine...

What you guys haven't seen yet and they are training some of us on, is these red light cameras are receiving software upgrades and now have speed monitoring devices which apparently do not use radar (Some do, some don't). Instead they use distance markers on the roadways and calculate the amount of time it takes you to travel that distance to give a speed...so detectors won't work unless it has the software updates that know where any given camera is located. However, it is just a matter of time before they are at EVERY single intersection, EVERY stretch of highway. Just wait...even as a cop...I'll admit it is about to get bad....California, I am sure your highways will get to taste them first.
The small percentage income is what all my LEO friends tell me. I'm just thinking that the state in general gets the cash and they can use it in other areas which does help quite a bit. The LEO presence around here is much more evident then it used to be, at least for radar enforcement. I would really like to see the numbers from CHP and some local agencies. I'm just glad that we still have a couple of tracks within 100 miles of here where we can go and enjoy the power these cars have to offer. Auto-X is also a great way to test your cars out off of the street.
Old 12-13-2010, 09:51 AM   #27
Silver2SSRS6spd
Prefer to be blown!

Quote:
From a cop in FL...I actually don't discourage it at all. However, take this information for what it is worth, most cops who normally would not issue citations for speeding will in fact issue one if they see a detector. The general thought process is, if a guy is going to speed with the detector going off..what does he do when there is no indication of a cop or red light camera around?
I have heard this before and it's the number one reason I don't have a detector in my car.