Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > General Automotive + Other Cars Discussion

Old 06-23-2012, 02:57 PM   #1
The_Blur

Drives: 2018 Harley-Davidson Street Bob
Send a message via AIM to The_Blur
Had a Run-In with Reality (a Trans Am discussion)

When I graduated college, I saw myself working in an office, wearing a suit, and serving my country. So far, I've gotten the serving my country down right, but the rest of it hasn't come to pass. As a result, I have to make some changes to my automotive plans.

I bought my wife a 2012 Sonic, and she loves it. It's a really great car. That makes her happy. I, however, need power.

Right now, I'm driving a 2000 Grand Am GT. It doesn't scream "kill" when I turn the key. The Navy doesn't pay me enough to justify a Camaro anytime soon, and I've been itching for too many years to just keep holding out for a brand new beast.

I've been doing some thinking about what else is badass enough to hold my attention, and there's a very short list of vehicles that I want to drive.

What do you guys think of Trans Ams?

I'm really liking the 1998-2002 body and see a lot of potential for aftermarket that would make it a real threat. The weight is particularly interesting as it makes the already formidable LS1-powered F-body a fighter even now.

If I were going to get a late Trans Am, I'd be looking to heavily modify the car, including blacking out the car, swapping the transmission to a properly modified Turbo 350, custom true dual exhaust with X-pipe, and possibly swapping another LS-series—probably LS2 or LS3—V8 under the hood.

Let me know what you guys think.
warn 145:159 ban
The_Blur is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:37 PM   #2
dmginc

Drives: In Circles
the 98-02 TA's are bad cars, i loved mine...so much so that i am getting another one. the WS6 is the way to go with these cars tho you could always get a ram air hoof for a base TA.

because they are so much lighter then the 5th gens they can keep pace with the SS.

CAI Cold Air Intake, BMR Strut Tower Brace, BMR 1.2" Lowering Springs
Gen5DIY Fog Lights, Big Worm Third Brake Light/Side Marker Tint (Charcoal)
GTS Tail Light Covers, Purple Under Hood Lighting
Magnaflow Resonated X-Pipe w/ Muffler Delete
Black Plasti Dipped Wheels, Z/28 Spoiler
dmginc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:38 PM   #3
RichGreene
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 1SS M6 Green 1993 Custom Eldo
I got my missuz a 12 Sonic too and I'm pretty surprised and happy the way it moves and handles. It's a Blast to drive !
I've always been a sucker for TransAms too,especially the 2nd Gen.
From a fellow Sailor--Tin Can Boatswainsmate DD 717.
RichGreene is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 03:42 PM   #4
AZCamaroFan
Camaro6 2016-2018

Drives: sometimes
i like the Firebirds, even 93-97.i kind of prefer the cleaner Formula models. only drawback is the engine compartment.
Old 06-23-2012, 03:52 PM   #5
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
First off I'll help you.... I'll buy the LS1 from you if you get one, lol. Anyway they are good cars if you want to go fast. I would seriously consider building a 6.0 truck motor and stroke it. It will be a lot stronger. You seriously might want to consider a transmission with overdrive.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 05:03 PM   #6
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by shank0668 View Post
First off I'll help you.... I'll buy the LS1 from you if you get one, lol. Anyway they are good cars if you want to go fast. I would seriously consider building a 6.0 truck motor and stroke it. It will be a lot stronger. You seriously might want to consider a transmission with overdrive.
I'd be interesting in putting anything under the hood that can break into the 400s with bolt-ons and can pass emissions testing. That being said, I'd be happy to sell the removed LS1 once I buy the car and have a replacement installed. Are you happy to get one with a lot of mileage?
Old 06-23-2012, 06:37 PM   #7
KungFuHamster

Drives: Black SS
what's your rank? If youre an E-5 or below with under 5-6 yrs, then just forget hot rodder (your married).

i say just wait till you go out on your next cruise and when you come back with all that loot (if your wife hasnt spent it all) put it down on a new camaro.

hoo yah shipmate.

AT1
KungFuHamster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:05 PM   #8
futrocpd
P90X

Drives: 2000 SLP SS VERT
I recently bought a 2000 Camaro SS, love it, eventually will mod it. I would go for it.

P90X changed my life. Want to know more, PM me for more info on changing your life for the better
futrocpd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2012, 07:06 PM   #9
The_Blur

Quote:
Originally Posted by KungFuHamster View Post
what's your rank? If youre an E-5 or below with under 5-6 yrs, then just forget hot rodder (your married).

i say just wait till you go out on your next cruise and when you come back with all that loot (if your wife hasnt spent it all) put it down on a new camaro.

hoo yah shipmate.

AT1
Without getting too specific, I might be experiencing some changes that would warrant me getting a car and enjoying it for a while—more on that later.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:19 PM   #10
shank0668

Drives: '14 LML/'06 LJ/'76 Trans Am
Quote:
Originally Posted by The_Blur View Post
I'd be interesting in putting anything under the hood that can break into the 400s with bolt-ons and can pass emissions testing. That being said, I'd be happy to sell the removed LS1 once I buy the car and have a replacement installed. Are you happy to get one with a lot of mileage?
Maybe ..... especially with accessories and harness

Realistically... come up with a budget you think you could afford on your motor to get to your goal... I think you could end up in the 500hp range without much effort.
shank0668 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2012, 04:02 AM   #11
USARCPT

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS TF3 LS3
Buddy of mine at one of my former employers has a Firebird, complete with all the customization and bells + whistles. He really is in love with his ride and bride....order dependent upon the day.

He also doesn't have kids yet like I have.

He's confessed that all things will change when Speed Freak Jr. arrives. Not everybody shuffles priorities that much when kids present themselves into the picture...but many of us end up choosing college savings plans for the lads 'n lasses vs. cold air intakes and groovy exhaust upgrades.

Just sayin'.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:02 AM   #12
Brutal SS

Drives: 2019 Camaro 2SS 1LE
I cant think of a better plan!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:00 PM   #13
discoteka

Drives: Oramac
Have you ever driven a 4th gen? They are great cars but the build quality is much to be desired (probably similar to your Grand Am?). More specifically, interior rattles to all hell and other little things when you get underneath these cars. Granted, my car is a bit older than the ls1 cars, but it's essentially the same body.

They make great power and have timeless looks IMO. Better visibility than a 5th gen as well. You can get a low mileage ~30k miles for around 15 or less if you look hard enough. I am currently shopping for a SOM WS6 since I can't afford a 5th gen either. Good luck!
Old 06-24-2012, 07:30 PM   #14
Blue Menace

Drives: 2013 WRX Sedan
FWIW, I've always thought this model's body style screams "badass!!"
Blue Menace is offline   Reply With Quote