Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 08-02-2009, 10:30 PM   #1
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Drives: 5th Gen Rental
Will OE 275 rears fit up front?

I have been asked this question maybe 20 times. Working on the WD40 car, I had some time to be able to check some of the oddities such as this. We had the front cambers set at -1.0 degrees camber and the rear SS wheels and tires fit on the fronts. There was approximately a pencil width clearance between the strut and the tire. But that is OK. The cambers I set the front end is moderately aggressive, and is the max I would put it at for clearance issues.

Mike
dms
Info@PeddersUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 07:08 AM   #2
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
So...They fit! That's good info Mike, thanks!

How was the fender clearance?
Old 08-03-2009, 07:52 AM   #3
BoostedX2

Drives: VR ZL1 #259/Nissan 370Z NISMO
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post
I have been asked this question maybe 20 times. Working on the WD40 car, I had some time to be able to check some of the oddities such as this. We had the front cambers set at -1.0 degrees camber and the rear SS wheels and tires fit on the fronts. There was approximately a pencil width clearance between the strut and the tire. But that is OK. The cambers I set the front end is moderately aggressive, and is the max I would put it at for clearance issues.

Mike
dms
Mike, I am sure this is somewhere but I can't find it..What is the largest tire that will fit on the rear factory 20' rims without any issues? Thank you!
BoostedX2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 08:13 AM   #4
Gentry78
HOOK'EM

Drives: 97 c1500/92 olds
Quote:
Originally Posted by dms View Post

Mike
dms
just to be clear your talking just the tires right not just switching wheels because thats a no go because of the different offsets correct?
Gentry78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2009, 09:16 AM   #5
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gentry78 View Post
just to be clear your talking just the tires right not just switching wheels because thats a no go because of the different offsets correct?
Sounds like he tried the factory 9" wide rear wheel on the front of the car. The offset, considering the additional width, should be close .. The offset changes with the tire width to keep the same tire scrub.
Old 08-03-2009, 10:55 AM   #6
Info@PeddersUSA.com

I installed the rear wheel and tires as a combo to the front. Clearances were OK with this Camaro.

thanks
mike
dms
Old 08-04-2009, 02:55 PM   #7
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

Drives: Raptor
Mike, I would not say 1 degree negative camber is excessive/extreme, Which is how I define your example of,"moderately aggressive. Especially for those that intend road course style driving. The negative camber will also help premature outter edge tire wear.
I will be running OE rear wheels and tires also on mine.

Last edited by CGM2SSRS; 08-04-2009 at 09:20 PM.
CGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2009, 07:00 PM   #8
Info@PeddersUSA.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CGM2SSRS View Post
Mike, I would not say 1 degree negative camber is excessive/extreme, Which is what I define your example of,"moderately aggressive. Especially for those that intend road course style driving. The negative camber will also help premature outter edge tire wear.
I will be running OE rear wheels and tires also on mine.
The -1.0 degree camber is for aggressive street. For tracking, the -2.0 cambers up front is what you will need.I do not think you can get -2.0 camber with the rear OE wheels up front..

mike
dms
Old 08-04-2009, 09:21 PM   #9
CGM2SSRS
susp.ban4life!

Drives: Raptor
Agreed.
CGM2SSRS is offline   Reply With Quote