Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 1st & 2nd Generation Camaros

Old 05-29-2012, 11:56 PM   #15
ryan's camaro
Taeng

Drives: Fast
Looks cool and all, but its so heavily modified I wouldn't buy it for $400,000. Save yourself some money and get a 2012 Camaro ZL1. 1/9th the price and you get way more horsepower.
Old 05-30-2012, 12:09 AM   #16
Revo1
Don't Like it? Suggit.

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS

"Tops off, tach up baby- loud and proud!"
A Camaro lover from day one- 1996 3.8 V6 Camaro, to 1996 5.7 LT1 Camaro Z28, to the sold 2002 5.7 LS1 Camaro SS, and NOW, a [I]6.2 L99 VR 2SS/RS: XS Power stainless full exhaust, Airaid CAI, BMR drop springs and sways, custom tune by Cal Speed- 411rwhp
Revo1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2012, 11:35 AM   #17
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Quote:
Originally Posted by ryan's camaro View Post
Looks cool and all, but its so heavily modified I wouldn't buy it for $400,000. Save yourself some money and get a 2012 Camaro ZL1. 1/9th the price and you get way more horsepower.
The ZL1 exists today because of that specific car.
Old 05-31-2012, 03:14 AM   #18
cardsfan09

Drives: SS/RS 6M, '98 Z71 p/u
I guess that old saying "it's only stock once" really affected the price. Would it have brought in the seven figure price had it been stock???? The # may have been higher, who knows, that's why they play at the auctions, it's a gamble.....
cardsfan09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 08:49 AM   #19
talwell

Drives: 1969 LS1 Camaro
This car was never seen in stock trim and should never be returned to stock trim. Chevrolet delivered this to Fred Gibb Chevrolet and they immediately built the car into what you see here. In my opinion the value of the car would be depreciated if it were returned to stock trim.
talwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2012, 09:07 AM   #20
Mr Twisty

Drives: the 2nd amendment home
Restoring this car to factory original would be worse than restoring a 1st gen Sunoco Camaro to a factory Z/28..... This car made the other cars valuable, If a 69 ZL1 were gold, this car would be the motherlode!
Old 06-04-2012, 09:14 AM   #21
Whitten

Drives: -
Quote:
Originally Posted by talwell View Post
This car was never seen in stock trim and should never be returned to stock trim. Chevrolet delivered this to Fred Gibb Chevrolet and they immediately built the car into what you see here. In my opinion the value of the car would be depreciated if it were returned to stock trim.
Roger that Sir....the young Padawan appears to not be up on his ZL-1 knowledge but we can fix that!

The ZL-1 Camaros were part of a group of vehicles that GM produced known as COPO cars or "Central Office Production Order". Yes there are only few of the COPO cars left and they are extremely rare however even more rare than a lowly COPO Camaro , there were but 69 Camaros that received a mostly experimental all aluminum 427 engine with the its own unique specs and parts for the express reason that it be used for racing. Without going into a deep diatribe I highly recommend that any of you new ZL-1 owners out there get read up on this program, Fred Gibb, Dick Harrell, and the whole COPO process...it is really truly unique even between the other major brands out there. There is a great wealth of info and stories out there to be found and read. The best thing you can do is know more about where the new ZL-1 came from so that ff you are fortunate like I was to get read up on this stuff in advance, you may find yourself in the company of some very special folks that you might not have even given a second look hand you not done your homework.
Whitten is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2012, 09:32 PM   #22
Fox37

Drives: Not yet in my garage
Hope it'll be in the LaHarpe Car show regardless of the owner change! My grandpa was the driver of the car! We were pretty excited to see it go for 400K!
Fox37 is offline   Reply With Quote