Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Off-topic Discussions

Old 05-23-2011, 01:08 PM   #15
Mac1

Drives: 2004 Malibu
Quote:
Originally Posted by wangtangjf7 View Post
I figured there would be a lotta veterans on this forum and maybe former recruiters, so i had a question to ask. So two weeks ago, i was suppose to take my physical and see what jobs were available for me. Its already been rescheduled twice by him and today was suppose to be the day i finally get it done, but just got another call saying he wants to reschedule to the first of next month because new jobs open up every beginning of the month. So if anyone could validate the recruiter is telling me, it would put me a little more at ease and keep me from getting pissed off. Thanks in advance.
The Air Force plans their basic training around the scheduled beginning date of the tech school the recruit is signed up to attend. In other words, if you are joining to train as a mechanic you will be scheduled for basic about six weeks (or however long basic is for the Navy) prior to the start of the tech school. Make sure you get a guaranteed job doing sdomething you might enjoy for the rest of your life.
Mac1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:16 PM   #16
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mac1 View Post
Make sure you get a guaranteed job doing something you might enjoy for the rest of your life.
Or something you can use if you decide to get out of the Military.
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:28 PM   #17
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
could be one of few things...
  • could be that he is busy and not in a hurry to hook you
  • he maybe trying to simply book you along with others to make better use of his busy schedule
  • he could be waiting to see more job fields to open or "better fitting" opportunities for you based on your ASVAB score

Don't be in a hurry. I spent 10 years in the Navy, 7 years of it on Aircraft Carriers. I was never in a hurry to go out to sea. You will see.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:31 PM   #18
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
could be one of few things...
  • could be that he is busy and not in a hurry to hook you
  • he maybe trying to simply book you along with others to make better use of his busy schedule
  • he could be waiting to see more job fields to open or "better fitting" opportunities for you based on your ASVAB score

Don't be in a hurry. I spent 10 years in the Navy, 7 years of it on Aircraft Carriers. I was never in a hurry to go out to sea. You will see.
THIS!!!!!
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:39 PM   #19
K9camaro

Drives: 2011 Cyber Grey 2SS Camaro
Air Force is being highly selective right now as well. We are at our limit and trying to trim away the fat, as it were.

The physical is not just a box to check, btw. If you have anything wrong with you, the military wants to find it. There are quite a few cases of people trying to slide in under the radar to get the free medical care for a previous issue.

And don't listen to these Jarines. There are a lot of smokin' hot Marine ladies out there that are frustrated because their brothers-in-arms are too busy...ah...wrestling with each other. /shrug

Unless you are a Devil dog K-9 unit....then you are good people.
Old 05-23-2011, 01:42 PM   #20
Unrestricted

Drives: 2010 Victory Red Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr Jkel View Post
Join the Marine Corps, it is a Department of the Navy,...... The MENS Department, LOL

Remember that the next time you yell; "Corpsman up!!"

That being said I throughly enjoyed my time as a FMF Corpsman!!
Unrestricted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:48 PM   #21
Hemlawk
AwesomeBillDawesonville

Drives: CGM 2SS/RS =)
I say he's full of shit. He's probably just to busy or he met his monthly quota for this month.

Order placed on 1/13/11 - Purchased 2/22/11 2SS/RS CGM
Hemlawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:49 PM   #22
Dr Jkel
and MR. HYDE

Drives: 2010 2SS RJT/BLK 6Spd Man
Quote:
Originally Posted by Unrestricted View Post
Remember that the next time you yell; "Corpsman up!!"

That being said I throughly enjoyed my time as a FMF Corpsman!!
LOL, The Corpman that were assigned to our unit, well might as well call them Marines because they did everything we did, live in the same Barracks, ate at the same Chow Hall, they were with us 24/7. Good Dudes every single one of them, of course we ribbed them but they were 100% Outstanding
Dr Jkel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 01:52 PM   #23
ColdCamaroSS

Drives: 1
As mentioned earlier...and many recruits don't realize, is once you take your ASVAB and get your scores, you can find out what jobs you qualify for before leaving for basic and TELL your recruiter exactly what specialty you want. You may have to wait longer before going to basic, but you will be locked into that training program after basic.

Many times, recruiters try to have you sign up "open" mechanical, admin, or general. The bummer about this, is that your stuck with a list of jobs to pick from in basic...and may get slotted for something you'll want to cross train out of down the road.

So, try to pick a cool ass job before going to basic. This is the Air Force method, but I'm
sure all the services are the same. Good luck!
ColdCamaroSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:02 PM   #24
mlee
CamaroFans.com

Drives: ZLE & ZR2
Quote:
Originally Posted by ColdCamaroSS View Post
As mentioned earlier...and many recruits don't realize, is once you take your ASVAB and get your scores, you can find out what jobs you qualify for before leaving for basic and TELL your recruiter exactly what specialty you want. You may have to wait longer before going to basic, but you will be locked into that training program after basic.

Many times, recruiters try to have you sign up "open" mechanical, admin, or general. The bummer about this, is that your stuck with a list of jobs to pick from in basic...and may get slotted for something you'll want to cross train out of down the road.

So, try to pick a cool ass job before going to basic. This is the Air Force method, but I'm
sure all the services are the same. Good luck!
Yep... I got sucked into the "Open Electronics" Field because they said there would be more jobs to choose from after basic training. That was a load of crap... This is code for "now we can fill the electronic jobs that no one else wants"

Be patient and get what you want. In the AF it was a fiscal thing and most of the new jobs came out beginning of the fiscal year in October.
Old 05-23-2011, 02:04 PM   #25
JKLNHYD
Defending the Nation...

Drives: '16 Summit White 2SS, A8, Sunroof
Quote:
Originally Posted by km9v View Post
My brother is a Chief Petty Officer in the Navy & he told me the Navy is almost at a hiring freeze.
This.

In addition to the hiring/recruiting stall, there are numerous rates (jobs) that will not allow any advancement right now. When folks don't advance, the vacancies from below aren't generated. And lastly, there are two programs in high gear right now trying to get rid of folks to balance the force out. If you're curious, ask your recruiter to explain (IN DETAIL)the Enlisted Review Board and Perform To Serve. If he tells you not to worry about it, tell him you want to speak with the Chief. Then, fully understand it before you join. Trust me, it will help you be one of the few that get to stay Navy if you do the right thing right from the start!

signed-a Navy Mustang

'16 2SS, A8, Sunroof, non-NPP
"SURSUM AB ORDINE"
JKLNHYD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 02:12 PM   #26
wangtangjf7

Drives: CGM LT/RS
Seriously. Thank you for your help everyone!
Old 05-23-2011, 02:48 PM   #27
chris1973

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black on Black
What ever the reason read your contract before signing it.

Or

Enlist Marine Corps Infantry. You will have the best time of your life while facing the hardest challenges you have ever encountered.

Appearance Mods: Razzi Bodykit with LEDs, 3D Carbon Side Vents, Tint, Painted Rims and Calipers,

See/hear my Camaro at
http://youtu.be/wn0Ck-cw6WQ
chris1973 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2011, 03:14 PM   #28
cj7ngolf

Drives: 2011 2LT/RS Convert
I just heard from a squid that at least in the seabees section, no one got promoted, if you want out, all you have to do is say so, and no one is coming in and they are shutting down 2-3 units and dont know where to put the people at.... I had a friend last year who was helping his grand-daughter to get in the service, him being retired AF tried there first, NOT accepting, Went to Navy, NOT accepting, No way was he going to let her go into Marines or Army (protective g-father). SO I would guess that Obama is trying to reduce government spending in his own way... oops sorry that slipped out....