Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 03-11-2012, 02:28 PM   #1
mickymaro69

Drives: ls3
oil leak

so im told that 50 to 60 percent of these cars with the v8 leak oil around the oil pan right out of the factory, mine being one of them. the only bolt-on my car has is axle back exhaust. has anyone either fixed this problem themselves with any success or had any luck taking it back to the dealership? I'd greatly appreciate hearing of any SUCCESS stories dealing with this manufacturing problem as i am getting so tired of the burning oil smell assaulting my nostrils and burning my eyes everytime I use this baby.

thanks forum members in advance for any feedback.
mickymaro69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:02 PM   #2
IndeedSS1

Drives: 2010 Camaro SS LS3
First I heard of this and your percent has to be way off. Of course the dealership will fix whatever it is.

She is only memory now.
IndeedSS1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 03:36 PM   #3
TurboTA89

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Camaro
I had to take mine back for an oil leak. They first replaced the oil cooler, whiched didn't fix the problem. Took it back a week later and they replaced the oil pan. I have a muffler delete on my car. They fixed it with no questions asked.
TurboTA89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 04:08 PM   #4
mickymaro69

Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTA89 View Post
I had to take mine back for an oil leak. They first replaced the oil cooler, whiched didn't fix the problem. Took it back a week later and they replaced the oil pan. I have a muffler delete on my car. They fixed it with no questions asked.
so since the new pan has it leaked and how long has that been?

thanks
Old 03-11-2012, 05:55 PM   #5
ssmike
BL1ZZRD

Drives: '16 Camaro 2SS, '20 Equinox Redline
Take it in to be fixed under warranty. No sense in putting up with it or complaining about it! I had an oil leak at 2,000 miles. They replaced the oil cooler gasket, common problem. Then 6 months later I developed another oil leak. This time it was the pan gasket. Both times it was fixed under warranty and it's been good ever since!

Both of the oil leaks I had are common to the LS3 and quite a few guys here have reported on it. 50-60% I think is a stretch. Maybe seems that way because of posts here on the forum but I'll bet a higher % are just fine. You just don't hear of them because they're either not on the forums or just don't report something that doesn't happen.

GM has a TSB on both of these issues!
ssmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 05:57 PM   #6
TurboTA89

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Camaro
I had it fixed maybe a month ago. They had the car about two weeks total to replace both parts. The car is a 2010 with around 8000 miles on it. Im not sure if the 11's and 12's leak but you would think they would have this fixed by now. So far its not leaking.
TurboTA89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 07:36 PM   #7
BigBlue2010

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS IBM A6
Mine is leaking as well. Taking it to the dealer next week. I hope they dont give me a hard time about my car being tuned. We shall see.
Old 03-11-2012, 08:26 PM   #8
Brianskeet
Brianskeet

Drives: RJTC 1SS RS L99
15K on mine and zero leaks, but if she does I'll just get it fixed. Gaskets are cheap. If you don't trust your local dealership then take it to your favorite mechanic. Do some research and ask buddies who they trust. I had to have my daughters car worked on recently (I can do most things, but I can't turn rotors) and asked around and found a guy close to my place that is crazy good and as honest as a preacher. Very high quality honest mechanics are out there. You just have to ask around. They usually don't do much advertising, because word gets out and they are covered up in work. I have recently developed a bad seal in my old truck. Guess who is getting the call to fix that?
ARH 1 7/8 coated LT, High flows, Corsa L99 exhaust, Vmax CNC throttle body, Elite Engineering catch can and tunnel brace, C.A.I. Apex Washer relocation and scoop, Janetty Tune, MSD wires, DEI heat shields, RB rotors and pads, Mike the powder coater calipers, pedders lines, Forgestar F14's, Gorilla nutz, MTI spoiler finished by Gary, Gary's Customz Bow Ties, Side Markers and Tails tinted, Bezels matte black, Badges deleted, Windows Tinted, AAC DRL P13W lights, AAC tinted LED reverse lights, AAC LED interior lights, RPI match painted DRL Bezels, Lis plate frame, Lloyds mats
Brianskeet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 08:41 PM   #9
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by ssmike View Post
50-60% I think is a stretch. Maybe seems that way because of posts here on the forum but I'll bet a higher % are just fine. You just don't hear of them because they're either not on the forums or just don't report something that doesn't happen.

GM has a TSB on both of these issues!
I agree that is a large percentage that you are using and most owners are only going to report something when it goes bad and not when it goes good. I have not had any oil leak around the oil pan on my SS.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 09:00 PM   #10
mickymaro69

allright guys thanks for the feedback. i took it to the dealership that i ordered it from and they put dye in the engine and gave it back saying that it was leaking radiator coolant and that they "fixed it" as if i'm some nut that doesnt know the difference between oil and antifreeze. i smelled burning all the way home and when i got it up on the ramps the pan was covered in oil just like before i had taken it in so of course i dont trust those people and just dont know what my next move should be. i even have been considering trying to do the job myself cause i want it done RIGHT! I just think that it might be a stretch for me and my weekend warrior mechanic skills (no formal training). what do you guys think?
Old 03-11-2012, 10:31 PM   #11
rberns

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS
Try to find another GM dealership in the area and get a second opinion.
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS, Circle D 3200, ADM Transmission Cooler, BTR Valvetrain, Cam Motion .621 .595 228/244 113+4, ARH 1 7/8 full exhaust, Cold Air Inductions, Katech C5R TC, Melling HV, BTR SLR lifters, Trunion Upgrade, LS2 Dampner, LS9 head gaskets, Bo White PTB, MM can, GFX, Subs, B&M Deep transmission pan,
Holley fuel rail, Proform valve covers, relocated coil packs
rberns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012, 10:47 PM   #12
mickymaro69

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndeedSS1 View Post
First I heard of this and your percent has to be way off. Of course the dealership will fix whatever it is.
your head must be way off
Old 03-12-2012, 07:41 AM   #13
MikeOD

Drives: 2010 M6 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboTA89 View Post
You sure they replaced the pan and not the pan's gasket?...seems very unlikely that they'd replace the whole pan.

2010 Camaro SS M6. Heads/Cam/Intake/Headers/Exhaust/Suspension
MikeOD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 08:51 AM   #14
Oldtimer426
U.S. Army Retired 20 year

Drives: 2010 2SS Coupe M6
Send a message via ICQ to Oldtimer426
I had my oil cooler gasket replace here this week was not bad but under warrenty.

Custom Grill GM, Custom Exhaust GM, Foose wheels legend 20", Blue footwell LED bothsides, and truck LEDs, window tints 20% rear 18% sides, custom pinstriping red color sides and rear skip shift eliminator, mailbox and side grill stainless steal inserts.
20 Years Military Service Army.
Oldtimer426 is offline   Reply With Quote