Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V6 LLT Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 07-08-2009, 09:56 AM   #43
mike25

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS/RS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Black GT View Post
Real world I would say at the most 40 HP with exhaust and tune.
ehh you mean full exhaust? i would be willing to bet a full exhaust, with the right components, and a good tune will get you more than 40 hp.
mike25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:01 AM   #44
MontyCarlo

Drives: 2010 2LT/RS auto IBM
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheClassicCarKid View Post
I didn't disrespect the L99 at all. And I didn't say anything about the few cars that are slower than V6's.
I just implied that the auto was slower than the manual, which I believe is true. I don't know why you would call something that is true disrespect.
Last I checked, the auto V8 is just a hair faster than the manual V8.
3. Yes, but the medication helps immensely.

2LT/RS IBM/gray #21,895 ordered April 21st, delivered July 3rd
MontyCarlo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 10:15 AM   #45
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1LT/RS
400hp NA 3.6 is going to be a tall order, outside of some race motor spinning at 10K rpm (totally useless on the street). While you can make a V6 very responsive (and a hellova lot of fun) in NA form, the real name of the game is FI. I personally wouldn't invest too much coin into making the 3.6 fast in NA form, as the gains per dollar are going to be far lower than stepping into a FI tier.
MadMaxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:36 AM   #46
cstproductions

Drives: Future 1LT IBM Camaro
Has anyone had their v6 tuned yet to see an increase in hp?

cstproductions is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:38 AM   #47
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by cstproductions View Post
Has anyone had their v6 tuned yet to see an increase in hp?
No, right now the only real tuning is via the use of piggybacks (which to my knowledge no one has tried yet). There is no standalone tuning ability at the moment.
Old 07-08-2009, 11:40 AM   #48
darkknight8425

Drives: 2010 2LT
Quote:
Originally Posted by MadMaxx View Post
No thanks, I prefer not to add an additional 8th ton on the nose and a thirst for 93... not to mention the ridiculous fake intake slot and brembo brakes that will never get proper use by their owners.

Hate to break it to some folks, but the Camaro is no longer a muscle car (technically it never was - but you get the idea). GM has made a well tuned sports coupe with retro skin... they slapped a V8 in it for the folks who are easily amused by burning (expensive) tires and only care about going fast in a strait line. For everyone else who views it more along it's true sports coupe lines - the 6 is the only way to fly.
darkknight8425 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 03:07 PM   #49
DCJ

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS RS
Quote:

Hate to break it to some folks, but the Camaro is no longer a muscle car (technically it never was - but you get the idea). GM has made a well tuned sports coupe with retro skin... they slapped a V8 in it for the folks who are easily amused by burning (expensive) tires and only care about going fast in a strait line. For everyone else who views it more along it's true sports coupe lines - the 6 is the only way to fly.

Old 07-08-2009, 03:29 PM   #50
Xanthos
PWA Relapse

Drives: Formerly-Stick
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mohrg Beast View Post
thats just stats given from members on this site..not exactly 400 but close enough to not notice a big difference they said..but its with exhaust and tuned with high octane gas..lol..ive been trying for a week now to look everywhere for a supercharger or turbo kit for the 6 but nothing that looks real or nothing that says YES it fits the 3.6 v6. so i didnt buy. if you guys know anything feel free to let us know..if its real and adds good hp ill buy it and let everyone know how it works..as long as its not experimental and costs a fortune..only way im shelling out major cash is with proven materials.
That forum member would be me, and it wasn't with just exhaust that I was referring to when talking about getting the V6 to 400 hp. I was talking about a custom ram air intake, full exhaust (headers, high-flow cats, racing mufflers, and either no resonators or some very, very short glasspacks), methonal injection, and very aggressive timing/tuning. And even with that, I said that it would be "maybe 400, or close to it."

Now, with headers, catback, CAI, and a 55 hp nitrous shot, you could definitely hit 400 horses for a very reasonable price.

I don't know about it being only for high RPM race setups for N/A 400 hp like maxx said, but you'd definitely lose a bit of street drivability.
- X

2017 1LT/RS A8 Hyper Blue Metallic

Xanthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:00 PM   #51
Mohrg Beast
TURBO HUNTER!!!

Drives: 2010 Camaro Lt Vin #1974
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post
That forum member would be me, and it wasn't with just exhaust that I was referring to when talking about getting the V6 to 400 hp. I was talking about a custom ram air intake, full exhaust (headers, high-flow cats, racing mufflers, and either no resonators or some very, very short glasspacks), methonal injection, and very aggressive timing/tuning. And even with that, I said that it would be "maybe 400, or close to it."

Now, with headers, catback, CAI, and a 55 hp nitrous shot, you could definitely hit 400 horses for a very reasonable price.

I don't know about it being only for high RPM race setups for N/A 400 hp like maxx said, but you'd definitely lose a bit of street drivability.
- X
yeah it was you that said that..but like i posted to him..i nor you said exactly 400 or more with exhaust..you said it would be a bit shy of 400. but still everyone is saying 40+ so + being say 50hp thats almost 360 hp thats damn close to 400. i have a 500cc four wheeler that when you look at the actually engine stats its only a 475 cc.same thing.. i bet everyone that has say 500 hp has either a little more or a little less and just round off. i order the magnaflow cat back street performance exhaust last night..but they told me it was on back order so i cancelled. i might go to a garage and have them to custom make me some. with bigger straighter pipes..but ima try to actually make the car stay just as quiet give or take. i just want the air out faster for the hp boost..dont care about the sound i would rather it stay damn quiet..just me though..if i had a V8 now that would be a different story..imo 8s are the only engine that should be loud.anything less sounds too crackley, and poppy..v8s have that mean lions growl to them..so since i have a V6 i want it to be inaudible.
Mohrg Beast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2009, 11:02 PM   #52
Supermans
Camaro & Stang Enthusiast

Drives: 2011 Mustang 5.0 in Kona Blue
Quote:
No thanks, I prefer not to add an additional 8th ton on the nose and a thirst for 93... not to mention the ridiculous fake intake slot and brembo brakes that will never get proper use by their owners.

In the voice of Megatron: "You have it wrong on so many levels booooy!!!"
Old 07-09-2009, 04:30 AM   #53
scrming
Red Brick of Vengeance!

Drives: 12 Second Brick
Quote:
Originally Posted by XanthosV6 View Post

- X
Car runs 25 degrees of timing at WOT... not sure how much more aggressive
you can get...
scrming is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 07:36 AM   #54
b4z

Drives: '06 Pontiac GTO M6, '19 F150 2.7TT
it's interesting.
the 3.6L debuted in June/July of '03 in the '04 CTS.
The engine has now been out for 6 years!
Why aren't there more mods available?
Heads/cam/f/i.
b4z is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2009, 08:21 AM   #55
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supermans View Post
In the voice of Megatron: "You have it wrong on so many levels booooy!!!"
Which part? The fact that the SS is a 2 ton bloated monster, or the fact that the camaro is actually a well engineered car?

Old 07-09-2009, 08:23 AM   #56
MadMaxx
Master of the V6

Quote:
Originally Posted by b4z View Post
it's interesting.
the 3.6L debuted in June/July of '03 in the '04 CTS.
The engine has now been out for 6 years!
Why aren't there more mods available?
Heads/cam/f/i.
The LLT - the Direct Injection version of the L series if 60deg 6's- is relatively new. The internals differ from their other 3.6 brethren, as does the control system.

It (The LY 3.6 from the 04+ caddy) also deployed on chassis that historically have very little attention from the aftermarket. Things may change over the next few years as this engine becomes more and more prevalent... interesting to see if they do produce a V12 variant.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/LLT