Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 02-08-2011, 11:05 AM   #267
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
I know it would cost money to develop a new car, I'm just not sure it would be just as expensive using a majority of the existing Camaro to do it. Nobody knows if it will sell because there hasn't been anything to look at, I think that an Auto show would be the best place to show a new car. I think you missed the whole point of my post, so that GM could continue to make money off the existing platform, the changes to the Zeta were done in 2009 and I would hope that GM would get a little more time out of it before they scraped it...

I was under the impression that this new car being shown at Chicago was going to be "exciting". Is a new Chevelle not exciting? A Chevelle has no heritage behind it? I'm not sure what you mean by that, so you are willing to bet that a new Zeta model, that nobody knows would be a better idea than a nameplate some recognize? or are you hoping that this will be the HP Camaro?
The Camaro was expensive to develop. Even though it was based off of the G8. Which was based off the Holden Zeta platform.
It will cost just as much to develop any other car than it did to develop the Camaro.
And no, the Chevelle has no heritage behind it. In fact it only lives on in the Chevy lineup through the Malibu. How much heritage can the Chevelle line hold, if all that survived it was what used to be nothing more than a trim level.
Sorry, but no a Chevelle is not viable. At least not more than a sporty sedan that both families and enthusiasts can enjoy.
Old 02-08-2011, 11:08 AM   #268
Milk 1027
Camaro➎ moderator

Drives: '13 BLK 1LE
Quote:
Originally Posted by black magic View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster.

As an owner of a G8 GT I am very interested in this debut. I would love to see what Chevy does with the Zeta sedan. Of coarse, if it IS a Camaro that would be great as well, as long is its not just some appearance package. I've seen a few post about what folks think this "Chevelle" should look like. Well, in 2008 Holden made a concept called the Coupe 60. This was based on the Zeta platform and looks amazing. I also stumbled across a Buick rendering of this as well. Both cars look great and the Buick would actually be deserving of the GN title. Take a look.

Now That is more appealing than the "Chevelle"
Old 02-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #269
black magic

Drives: 2009 G8 GT
I'm not sure this has been answered, but is this debut going to be a concept or a production car?
black magic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:12 AM   #270
BlkThndr66
I'm not car-ist

Drives: '10 RY 2LT Camaro '96 Mustang Cobra
Quote:
Originally Posted by black magic View Post
Long time lurker, first time poster.

As an owner of a G8 GT I am very interested in this debut. I would love to see what Chevy does with the Zeta sedan. Of coarse, if it IS a Camaro that would be great as well, as long is its not just some appearance package. I've seen a few post about what folks think this "Chevelle" should look like. Well, in 2008 Holden made a concept called the Coupe 60. This was based on the Zeta platform and looks amazing. I also stumbled across a Buick rendering of this as well. Both cars look great and the Buick would actually be deserving of the GN title. Take a look.

LOVE the idea of bringing the GNX back!! I never even thought of that; I really hope this comes out. Imagine if somehow GM figured out how to safely and consistantly add boost with a turbo to the 3.6L DI..... maaaan
Team LLT-M6
BlkThndr66 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:44 AM   #271
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
Both of those coupes are full of WIN!

No announcements have been made other than they're CAMARO related.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 11:49 AM   #272
thePill
Account Suspended

Drives: '11 Mustang GT Premium
Quote:
Originally Posted by Milk 1027 View Post
The Camaro was expensive to develop. Even though it was based off of the G8. Which was based off the Holden Zeta platform.
It will cost just as much to develop any other car than it did to develop the Camaro.
And no, the Chevelle has no heritage behind it. In fact it only lives on in the Chevy lineup through the Malibu. How much heritage can the Chevelle line hold, if all that survived it was what used to be nothing more than a trim level.
Sorry, but no a Chevelle is not viable. At least not more than a sporty sedan that both families and enthusiasts can enjoy.
Just wishful thinking on my part...
thePill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:17 PM   #273
Stl_chevy_guy

Drives: Company Demo
Send a message via Yahoo to Stl_chevy_guy
Based on the info I received from my not-to-be-named GM rep... I can all but guarantee that the vehicle unveiled will be the new Impala SS.
Stl_chevy_guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:23 PM   #274
Lucky SOB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
...testing - it's not allowing me to view page 12...

EDIT: what the............................................... .......................? Posted this on page 11....

Anyways... I heard it's going to be a carb'd 454 Oldsmobile Eighty Eight........................................
Old 02-08-2011, 12:28 PM   #275
havocnmayhem2005

Drives: 1999 Z28, 2007 Saurn Aura
My vote is a diesel Camaro with the 2.9 V6 turbo diesel that GM had been working on with 255 hp and 406 lb ft of tq..........Oh wait, GM would never do anything reasonable and put a deisel in anything in America. A car that would hall balls and get close to 40mpg if not more on the highway. It'd never happen though.
havocnmayhem2005 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #276
radz28
Petro-sexual

Though an Impala SS is not the car I want to hear about, that sounds pretty legit, just based off of what the police can get their hands on now

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
Old 02-08-2011, 12:33 PM   #277
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by havocnmayhem2005 View Post
My vote is a diesel Camaro with the 2.9 V6 turbo diesel that GM had been working on with 255 hp and 406 lb ft of tq..........Oh wait, GM would never do anything reasonable and put a deisel in anything in America. A car that would hall balls and get close to 40mpg if not more on the highway. It'd never happen though.
How reasonable is a $5000 premium over a comparable gas engine, and almost impossibly-met diesel emissions standards that literally "suffocate" their usage in the US.

GM's very 'in' the diesel game in Europe...it's not the company, it's the country.
Old 02-08-2011, 12:37 PM   #278
radz28
Petro-sexual

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
How reasonable is a $5000 premium over a comparable gas engine, and almost impossibly-met diesel emissions standards that literally "suffocate" their usage in the US.

GM's very 'in' the diesel game in Europe...it's not the company, it's the country.
Is that the problem - the emissions? I kinda' figured the money, but it seems that diesels are the way to go in Europe, but if emissions are a problem here, that would explain it some. Though I don't have any desire for a diesel CAMARO, if others are, I support it I'd consider a diesel for the family at this point, seeing how far they've come along.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
Old 02-08-2011, 12:42 PM   #279
DGthe3
Moderator.ca

Drives: 05 Grand Am GT
Send a message via MSN to DGthe3
Quote:
Originally Posted by 91Z28350 View Post
I would rock the one on the left, looks like a Chevrolet S5. That to me is a good thing.
Probably because the guy that photoshoped that used an Audi as his inspiration

Quote:
Originally Posted by thePill View Post
I know it would cost money to develop a new car, I'm just not sure it would be just as expensive using a majority of the existing Camaro to do it. Nobody knows if it will sell because there hasn't been anything to look at, I think that an Auto show would be the best place to show a new car. I think you missed the whole point of my post, so that GM could continue to make money off the existing platform, the changes to the Zeta were done in 2009 and I would hope that GM would get a little more time out of it before they scraped it...

I was under the impression that this new car being shown at Chicago was going to be "exciting". Is a new Chevelle not exciting? A Chevelle has no heritage behind it? I'm not sure what you mean by that, so you are willing to bet that a new Zeta model, that nobody knows would be a better idea than a nameplate some recognize? or are you hoping that this will be the HP Camaro?
It would be just as expensive to introduce a new car based off the Camaro's platform as it was to do the Camaro in the first place. A lot of the cost isn't in the platform the car rides on (though this is still significant) but rather from 2-3 years of design, engineering, testing, and validation which has to happen on any car.

About the only difference between a possible Chevelle and the Camaro would styling. Performance would be about the same, and so would price. But the majority love the styling of the Camaro, which means that the Chevelle would have to appeal to the minority who don't like the Camaro (and still want to buy a Chevy). If you have something that appeals to those who like the Camaro, you're going to be stealing sales which doesn't get you anywhere. The same arguments were made against a Firebird, long before Pontiac was killed off.
My sister's dentist's brother's cousin's housekeeper's dog-breeder's nephew sells coffee filters to the company that provides coffee to General Motors......
........and HE WOULD KNOW!!!!

Camaro Fest sub-forum
DGthe3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2011, 12:45 PM   #280
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by radz28 View Post
Is that the problem - the emissions? I kinda' figured the money, but it seems that diesels are the way to go in Europe, but if emissions are a problem here, that would explain it some. Though I don't have any desire for a diesel CAMARO, if others are, I support it I'd consider a diesel for the family at this point, seeing how far they've come along.
It's both. Lutz once quoted the premium over a gas engine as uneconomical, and then of course there's the emissions standards here that require after-after treatments (which contribute greatly to that cost premium)....it's rediculous. I'd love a deisel Cruze, for example...but it's not gonna happen so long as we have such strict standards here...because diesels are "dirty"...