Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 06-27-2011, 03:48 PM   #1
D Day Dog

Drives: 2011 1SS Imperial Blue Metallic
Front fascia paint mismatch - opinions needed - thanks

Okay, so we all know of the problem with the mismatching front fascias on certain paint colors. But here's my story and my bitch...

I bought the car in Feb. and garaged it until early Apr. When they first delivered it to my house, there was a large ding in the passenger door and several scratches all over the car. I made them pick it up and take it back to be repaired. They delivered it again to my house... with even more scratches on it. Some were very noticeable on the top of the front fascia. I said screw them and hand buffed the whole car. Car looks great, but couldn't get all the scatches out of the top of the front fascia due to it being plastic/deep, etc.. Then a dumb ass friend of mine drives the car on top of a parking block. I have all kinds of scratches (that I can't even see) on the bottom of the front fascia. I am anal, so it bothers me knowing they're there. I have more money than brains (at this time) so I take it to the dealer and ask them to fix it - $750.

I come to pick up my car and now I notice the whole front fascia is quite noticeably a different color than the rest of the car. I complain that they mismatched the paint. They tell me they only painted the bottom of the front fascia and that's it. However, the scratches I tried to buff out on the top of the front fascia are now.... mysteriously... gone. I argue that they painted it. They said they didn't and proceed to explain that this is a known issue due to plastic being painted at different temps. etc. I tell them I know this already. They continue to insist they did not paint the whole bumper. I tell them I never noticed it before and definitely would have noticed it given how (obviously) picky I am. Although I don't believe them.... maaaaaybe I did miss seeing the color difference as I have only driven it for under 3 months (only 1071 miles as of today - lots of hwy.).

The srvs. manager calls me and jerks me around with the same story. I remind him that I am picky and would have noticed it before as I'm the type of guy who paid them $750 to fix scratches that no one would see. He calls GM and they tell him it's a known issue and they don't care - they aren't paying for it and I have to live with it. I call GM to escalate and complain. Some dumb F'r in India takes my info., story, gives me a claim # and says he will call the dealer and call me back. I am waiting on the call back.

I have read here and elsewhere that GM has agreed in certain cases to pay dealers to repaint the front fascias (when it's factory paint job) IF it is outside of what would otherwise be acceptable.... to them. I have lost faith in my dealership and may not want them to do the paint, even if GM authorizes it. Yeah, yeah, so wtf am I pursuing it... because I can and I might. However.... I am picky.... but maybe I should not be this picky. So I am going to ask my forum brethern to cast their honest opinions and help me decide if I should repaint and/or push this issue.

Here's some pics I have of the mismatch. Pic #2 really shows it to me. The rest of the entire car, including the rear bumper are all the same darker color. I will get some more to show the whole car (which to me is more noticeable). I'll post more later.

What do you guys and gals think....? THANKS for the imput.

Name:  010.jpg
Views: 5304
Size:  110.8 KB

Name:  002 (2).jpg
Views: 964
Size:  171.5 KB

Name:  003 (2).jpg
Views: 803
Size:  158.9 KB
D Day Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 04:45 PM   #2
liquidsmoke
Two Miles An Hour

Drives: SIM 2LT RS
I would definately bitch up a shit storm.
That front end looks like it came off an entirely different color car.
Unless you're blind, there is no way it came like that and you didn't notice.
There are ways to check if the piece was repainted, you should take it somewhere and have someone else take a look at it.

expect nothing, but take everything
liquidsmoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 05:14 PM   #3
ffrcobra_65
Account Suspended

Drives: SuperCharged 2SS/RS IOM MN6
wow, i have never seen it that bad. Cant be the original paint.
ffrcobra_65 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 06:53 PM   #4
D Day Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by ffrcobra_65 View Post
wow, i have never seen it that bad. Cant be the original paint.

That was my thought. It sticks out like a sore dick. I'm quite positive I would've noticed it before if it was that bad. And if not, it's probably because it sat in my garage for so long and my permagrin didn't relax enough for me to see it. Of note, I have looked at several other Gen 5 camaros and there are sliiiiight differences on special colors, but NONE as bad as mine.

Thanks for the imput guys. ...anyone else?
Old 06-27-2011, 06:54 PM   #5
D Day Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by liquidsmoke View Post
I would definately bitch up a shit storm.
That front end looks like it came off an entirely different color car.
Unless you're blind, there is no way it came like that and you didn't notice.
There are ways to check if the piece was repainted, you should take it somewhere and have someone else take a look at it.

I think I will do just that... tnx.
Old 06-27-2011, 07:19 PM   #6
montreal2010yellow

Drives: 2 LT/RS YELLOW, AUTO., VIN NO. 602
I visited GM Camaro plant in Oshawa and there's no way the facia color would be so different. We all saw quality controls in many places and GM would have had to have 1 pint of diffrent paint color in their robots to do a single facia a different color, just impossible. That facia was definitively repainted. Get the dealer to install a brand new one with the right color code.....
Old 06-27-2011, 07:33 PM   #7
D Day Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by montreal2010yellow View Post
I visited GM Camaro plant in Oshawa and there's no way the facia color would be so different. We all saw quality controls in many places and GM would have had to have 1 pint of diffrent paint color in their robots to do a single facia a different color, just impossible. That facia was definitively repainted. Get the dealer to install a brand new one with the right color code.....

Thanks - great info. Glad to know it's not just me being picky...
Old 06-27-2011, 10:22 PM   #8
chandler

Drives: 2010 CGM 2SS/RS M6
You are not being picky. That looks horrible. It is one thing for a mistake to be made...you point it out and they fix it...no problem. But for the dealers to look you in the face and say there is nothing wrong when the flaws are right in front of you. Fine they didn't paint it...it doesn't matter who painted it...it doesn't match...it's under warranty...fix it! There are just too many "shoddy dealer" postings like this. These dealers seem to have forgotten where they were a few years back...on the the verge of closing their doors. And if it wasn't for us dedicated Chevy customers they would have closed their doors regardless of what Obama did. Sometimes it makes me wish GM would have folded and we could have spent our hard earned money at a company that appreciates their customers. OK I am off my soapbox. Best of luck D Day.
Old 06-27-2011, 11:45 PM   #9
DarkneSS
Account Suspended

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS 6MT
Wow WTF it looks purple! No way it could have rolled off the factory looking like that, and being as picky as you are (nothing wrong with that) you could have noticed.
DarkneSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:32 AM   #10
2FST2LIV2YNG2DY
...this is my addiction!

Drives: SOLD
Holy crap that's bad!! Ya fascia looks like a lighter blue then the hood.

Sent from my iPhone 4 using Tapatalk
2FST2LIV2YNG2DY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 07:58 AM   #11
LittleMT
user bann'd

Drives: Chevy SS
wow, it is obvious the color difference in the images, and probably more so in person......

I avoided this by purposely having my facia painted a different color, a cherry candy with pearl.... heh, problem solved for me..

Chantilly Lace, the 2011 Rockabilly Jukebox..ADM built..617rwhp, geared A6.
LittleMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 08:02 AM   #12
HIOFECR

Drives: Black 2010 Camaro 2SS
Wow dude yeah that's bad, I would be pissed too! Get the BBB involved if they give you too much Crap, better yet let them know you're calling GM Customer Service to report the issue and their dealership.

SQUEEZE THROTTLE. FEEL GROUND RUMBLE
HIOFECR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 12:16 PM   #13
D Day Dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by chandler View Post
You are not being picky. That looks horrible. It is one thing for a mistake to be made...you point it out and they fix it...no problem. But for the dealers to look you in the face and say there is nothing wrong when the flaws are right in front of you. Fine they didn't paint it...it doesn't matter who painted it...it doesn't match...it's under warranty...fix it! There are just too many "shoddy dealer" postings like this. These dealers seem to have forgotten where they were a few years back...on the the verge of closing their doors. And if it wasn't for us dedicated Chevy customers they would have closed their doors regardless of what Obama did. Sometimes it makes me wish GM would have folded and we could have spent our hard earned money at a company that appreciates their customers. OK I am off my soapbox. Best of luck D Day.

Thanks man. One other thing they tried to tell me is the color difference wasn't really major and was due to the angle of the facia making it look off. I just glared at him and said, "really...?" I'm still waiting for my call from GM to see if they will authorize them to repaint the facia.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:32 PM   #14
Drew10
Enjoys a good train wreck

Drives: 2010 IBM Camaro 2SS/RS
I have the same color as you and mine is just a little different. Yours is way different and I highly doubt that is the factory paint or clear. I wouldn't live with what you have.
Drew10 is offline   Reply With Quote