Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro DIY & HOW-TO instructions & discussions

Old 01-06-2017, 01:59 PM   #1
Huntsury

Drives: 2011 2LT RS
DIY: How to paint Camaro sidemirrors and wing

Hey guys I drive a 2011 yellow RS Camaro I recently got the side mirrors a spoiler wrapped about 6 months ago. Even though I have already gotten them wrapped the person I paid to do it did a shitty job and the wrap is already comming off. I really liked the look it brings to my car. I really want to paint both the side mirrors and spoiler black what is the best way to do this?
Huntsury is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 02:19 PM   #2
BkinBlk

Drives: 2015 2LT RS
I would recommend a professional paint them. It would not be all that expensive to paint the three items and it would def not look like it was done by a non-professional. Don't use a rattle can, because, well, it will look like you used a rattle can. Just my opinion, I am sure there will be other suggestions as well.
Old 01-06-2017, 04:15 PM   #3
Huntsury

Well the thing is I go to a McPherson college which is one of only 2, 4 year automotive programs for college. Even though I don't not major in automotive restoration I am positive I can spray it with a rattle can and it would just be fine, even though I will know how to spray it with a gun,I would just have to prep it the right way. I just wanted to see if anyone else has done this before on the Camaro and what they ended up using to do this mod.
Old 01-06-2017, 05:49 PM   #4
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Networking. Find a local car club that has connections. Someone knows someone that knows someone, generally the guys at professional repair shops will do side jobs but you need an introduction generally. You're looking at 20-30% of a retail price, ballparking...you should be under $300.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:09 PM   #5
Huntsury

Has nobody done it them self? I know it's not that expensive but I would have thought somebody would have and if not i guess I will be the first to do it👍
Old 01-06-2017, 06:35 PM   #6
Snoman
H-Town Camaro Club

Drives: 2013 Dusk Edition 2SS/M6/Sun/NPP
Quote:
Originally Posted by Huntsury View Post
Has nobody done it them self? I know it's not that expensive but I would have thought somebody would have and if not i guess I will be the first to do it��
I don't know many that have $50k+ in professional painting equipment laying around. I'm sure a DIY spray can is acceptable based on personal choice, though most would rather let a seasoned professional do it for a couple of hundred.
Snoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2017, 06:59 PM   #7
Huntsury

Well I can use the colleges equipment if I wanted to but I wanted to see if someone has ever showed how to do it with a spray can at your house but I guess I'll be the first to show how easy it is.
Old 01-06-2017, 11:56 PM   #8
Mr_Draco

Drives: 2SS/RS
I've painted cars off and on for years and while you can do it with a spray can and have it look decent, I wouldn't do it for parts that will be attached to the car. Even when at it's best, parts done with a spray can will look cheap when compared to a proper paint job. Another thing to keep in mind, unless you are going for the matte black look, the parts will also need to be clear coated and the chemicals found in spray paint has a tendency to develop a yellow tint and discolor when cleared over, even when using a quality clear.
Mr_Draco is offline   Reply With Quote