Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 12-25-2009, 11:55 PM   #15
RCPW

Drives: 2005 Dodge Dakota
Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTS View Post
If You Have To Use Oil Additives Then You Are Using The Wrong Oil.
When I finally do get my 2SS I just want to try and make it "BETTER" if I possibly can that is why I posted this thread, I dont know if this product is Snake Oil or Not, Believe me when it comes time for me to have the oil changed I'll probably have it changed with Mobil 1 Synthetic Oil, I believe that is what comes with it from reading the Adobe .pdf Manual if i remember correctly, I just want to make my Camaro Better in every way Possible and for an extra $30-$35 every 6000 Miles Really isnt that much to spend since we're almost pretty much spending $3.00 for a gallon a gas at a well know gas station for good gas for our cars or $2.75 for gallon for crappy gas at a crappy gas station for your car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ksb2010ss View Post
Couldn't have said it better ! I use only Mobil 1 synthetic in every vehicle I own and have never had a problem yet.
Ksb2010ss,...

I totally agree,... I plan on using the same oil but again I just want to make my car Better is all that is why I started this thread to find out if this Oil Treatment Fluid is any good or not.

I'm still not convinced yet, Carrol Shelby is an old man, I dont know what his finances are, Plus he's a Mustang Guy and I can't stand Mustang's .
My Future Car As It Stands Below,... (1100 Order Accepted At Dealer 11.21.09 - 2000 Accepted At GM 11.24.09 - 2500 Preferenced 11.25.09 - 3000 Production Control 12.03.09 Notes: 01/11/2010 Added What ever that means? - 12.17.09 - 3400 Order Broadcast -)
RCPW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:11 AM   #16
SleepWarz
Banned

Drives: 1991 New Yorker, 69 Tbird, ABM2SSRS
I use royal purple.
SleepWarz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:55 AM   #17
Mzodarg
Remembering those in Blue

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Blk w/IOM Int
Redline racing oil for me. Use it in all my scooters and now my Maro.
Old 12-26-2009, 05:55 AM   #18
Angrybird 12
7 year Cancer Survivor!

Drives: 17 Cruze RS, 07 G6 GT, 99 Astro
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
Oh just one more thought. I do not believe Carrol Shelby is hurting and is promoting a product for a little endorsement money. If he were, why not more endorsements. Can't think of any others. He says he believes in the product. I believed him, based on his rep. After using the product, I believe in it.
I thought he was part owner in the Company? I know the majority Stock holder is Speedway motorsports, but I thought Shelby still retained partial ownership...
Old 12-26-2009, 06:06 AM   #19
camaro_eddie
Boomer Sooner

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyby View Post
Well, I use Royal Purple. I also still use Z-Max. Let's see in oh ten years who has more out of pocket engine expenses. Bet I win. Many people have knee-jerk reactions. Mine are based on pure science and testing. Yes extensive testing. For a few dollars, more horsepower, lower friction, longer engine life, better gas mileage. I will continue spending a little more for a lot of benefits.
I would be willing to take that bet with you... I use Amsoil based on scientific tests, studies, and personal experiences. It has treated me well and is the only oil I wold recommend, no additives needed. It blows RP out of the water, Mobil 1 is the only oil close to comparing to it.
camaro_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:18 AM   #20
CTS

Drives: 2021 Sierra Denali 6.2L/10sp CC 4WD
How can it be that some additive manufacturer can have a miracle, cure-all additive without knowing the chemistry of the oil it will be used in? The answer is, they don't. They are masters at marketing, not science chemistry and engineering.

Anecdotal evidence based solely on the experiences of individual consumers and testimonials reporting specific performance attributes in the absence of reliable independent evidence showing performance capability is insufficient to support product claims.

All of these products are just psychological placebos. Simply use a good quality oil, it will have all the additives your engine needs, mixed right in. Oil additives only serve to lessen the effectiveness of your oil's additives and lubrication properties.

The Bottom Line Don't use any oil additives whatsoever, NONE of them are effective and many are damaging. Simply use a good quality oil, its got all the additives you need
CTS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:23 AM   #21
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Drives: 2012 Cruze LT
Well, every super snake that Shelby builds has it in it.

Last edited by BackinBlackSS/RS; 12-26-2009 at 09:34 AM.
BackinBlackSS/RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:28 AM   #22
camaro_eddie
Boomer Sooner

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS SIM
Quote:
How can it be that some additive manufacturer can have a miracle, cure-all additive without knowing the chemistry of the oil it will be used in? The answer is, they don't. They are masters at marketing, not science chemistry and engineering.

Anecdotal evidence based solely on the experiences of individual consumers and testimonials reporting specific performance attributes in the absence of reliable independent evidence showing performance capability is insufficient to support product claims.

All of these products are just psychological placebos. Simply use a good quality oil, it will have all the additives your engine needs, mixed right in. Oil additives only serve to lessen the effectiveness of your oil's additives and lubrication properties.

The Bottom Line Don't use any oil additives whatsoever, NONE of them are effective and many are damaging. Simply use a good quality oil, its got all the additives you need
camaro_eddie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 09:33 AM   #23
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

Quote:

Anyone who uses oil additives is just plain wasting money.
Now this I can believe. You can use it, but you don't NEED it.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:44 PM   #24
alex33x

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Wasnt slick 50 for high mileage cars? I dont remember anyone using it on a new car. Dont know anything about this product your talking about, but I used royal purple.
Old 12-26-2009, 12:48 PM   #25
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
People in here saying that its snake oil but then using Mobil 1 "synthetic" is kind of funny to me.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 02:49 PM   #26
67MellowYellow

Drives: 2010 SS/RS ABM M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by bballr4567 View Post
People in here saying that its snake oil but then using Mobil 1 "synthetic" is kind of funny to me.
How so? GM recommends syn for all LS series V8's. Probably has something to do with reducing carbon deposits in that engine amoing other things.
67MellowYellow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:00 PM   #27
bballr4567

Drives: 2016 Camaro 1LT M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by 67MellowYellow View Post
How so? GM recommends syn for all LS series V8's. Probably has something to do with reducing carbon deposits in that engine amoing other things.
Quote:
Hydrocracked/Hydroisomerized = API Group III base oils. Chevron, Shell, and other petrochemical companies developed processes involving catalytic conversion of feed stocks under pressure in the presence of hydrogen into high quality mineral lubricating oil. In 2005 production of GTL (Gas-to-liquid) Group III base stocks began. Even though they are considered a synthetic product they are still mineral base stocks and counted as the mineral part of all semi-synthetic lubricants. Group III base stocks [with certain amount of mixture of PAOs and esters and Group V] are considered synthetic motor oil ONLY in the United States. Group III based lubricants are not allowed to be marketed as "synthetic" in any market outside of the USA.
Mobil 1 also fits into that group. They are only synthetics in the US and NO WHERE else in the world.

Mobil 1 is the factory fill because Mobil 1 pays GM the most.
bballr4567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2009, 03:05 PM   #28
BackinBlackSS/RS
Go Blue!!!!!

So for you Canada people, can you get Mobil 1 synthetic in your auto parts stores?