Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > V8 and V6 Transmissions / Driveline (6L80 / 6L50 / TR6060 / AY6)

Old 10-22-2011, 08:32 PM   #1
Whipped416

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
how much power are you running on stock differential

Like the Title says i am wondering how much power are you running on stock differential? also how many miles and how many passes.....
Thanks guys!!
Whipped416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:00 PM   #2
10camaross

Drives: 2010 camaro ss/rs 6spd manual
+1
10camaross is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:20 PM   #3
jsharp
NOW CAMMED & SUPERCHARGED

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black w/ IOM
I think they are pretty strong or atleast there are alot running stock ones vs 9". Im at 556rw
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
jsharp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:37 PM   #4
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
Instant Tq is what kills them
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:39 PM   #5
jsharp

U mean like us maggie folks
Livernois Motorsports: Maggie 2300 7psi, Livernois 2C cam/L99 to LS3 Conversion, Ported TB, Rotofab w/adm race scoop, adm trans cooler,Kooks headers no cats, Kooks 3" exhaust. METCO breather. Precision 2400 Vigilante TC. Eibach Lowering Springs & Swaybars. BMR Trailing arms, BMR Rear Cradle Bushings, BMR Toe Rods, BMR Differential bushings. Vossen CV3 20's w/ 305 Mickey Thompson @25psi. Zl1 front bumper. OE Zl1 Hood and matte black insert. 556RWHP/500RWTQ L99
Old 10-22-2011, 09:45 PM   #6
Driveshaftshop

Drives: own more cars than i can list
don't forget a 6 speed car will break parts long before a Auto will, keep this I'm mind.
Driveshaftshop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 09:51 PM   #7
steeleshark2

Drives: 2010 Transformer 1SS Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driveshaftshop View Post
don't forget a 6 speed car will break parts long before a Auto will, keep this I'm mind.
Of course not always although a large stall was involved . Check with SickSS !!

@Blakewolf07 As said before, It is the instant torque that will kill it.
steeleshark2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 10:00 PM   #8
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
550 RWHP
517 Tq

Manual

On pass on street tires.

Not a single problem.
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2011, 11:39 PM   #9
DietCoke
Slow Turtle

Drives: 2011 1SS
Send a message via AIM to DietCoke
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsharp View Post
U mean like us maggie folks
I mean like the on/off load of a clutch. Auto diffs last way longer, as there is preload and less shock on the gears/spiders
DietCoke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:13 AM   #10
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by DietCoke View Post
I mean like the on/off load of a clutch. Auto diffs last way longer, as there is preload and less shock on the gears/spiders
This

Even gear changes in a clutch car are harder on the drivetrain than an automatic. The harder the clutch hits the more shock it puts into parts and tires.

Also wheel hop will destroy drivetrain parts.

The weak link in the Gen 5 is definately the axles. Even in a auto, If you upgrade only 1 thing that should be the 1. Or have a set of stock axles on hand with you at the track so you can replace one when you break it.
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 07:48 AM   #11
Squintz Palladoris

Drives: 2010 IOM 1SS M6
Blakewolf07

How much power are you planning on putting out?

If you plan to upgrade the stock diff with gears/posi mod/billet caps/LPW Cover, and upgrade the axles and driveshaft it can be almost as spendy as replacing all of it with an aftermarket diff.

Frank from DSS can hook you up with a 9" ford kit that is very nice, LPE has thier own aluminum center section that uses Frank's axles and driveshaft. G-Force also has a 9" kit with axles and driveshaft. There is another company that is working with DSS to produce a 12 Bolt center using DSS Axles and driveshaft and it will be offered in both aluminum or nodular iron. So plenty of choices there. The advantage to these is the availibility of a larger choice of ring and pinion ratios that are less expensive and stronger than the stock gears, and a choice of spool or a few different posi units.

All of those choices may seem expensive, but once you have spent the money to upgrade the stock centersection and axles and driveshaft, Depending on what options you choose it ends up only being a little bit more to go with the 9" or LPE setup. You can offset that cost by selling your stock diff.

I ended up with the DSS 9" setup for my car, with a Wavetrac diff, Strange nodular S-Series gear case, and Richmond 4.33 gears. I also upgraded to the Carbon fiber driveshaft.

If you get on the phone and talk to some of the sponsors on this board you will find that you can probably get all of these parts cheaper than what is advertised on the internet. After selling my stock Diff for 800 dollars I actually ended up saving money over upgrading all of the stock stuff.

Sorry for the wall of text, just wanted to throw that out there
Squintz Palladoris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 09:03 AM   #12
jsharp

Thanks for the incite on the auto. I was thinking I would be ok being an auto with just axles but when you get to reading on the forums and seeing all the info on rear ends and such you loose track of who are auto and manual and you just start to worry. I am glad I got an AUTO!
Old 10-23-2011, 09:45 AM   #13
Whipped416

Drives: 2010 CAMARO SS
thanks i am going with G force 9 inch... because i have the g force 300m axles i can trade back towards this setup..
Whipped416 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2011, 02:37 PM   #14
SSE 4 2SS
Boosted Moderator

Drives: Bone Stock LS3
Send a message via AIM to SSE 4 2SS Send a message via Yahoo to SSE 4 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by Squintz Palladoris View Post
Blakewolf07

How much power are you planning on putting out?

If you plan to upgrade the stock diff with gears/posi mod/billet caps/LPW Cover, and upgrade the axles and driveshaft it can be almost as spendy as replacing all of it with an aftermarket diff.

Frank from DSS can hook you up with a 9" ford kit that is very nice, LPE has thier own aluminum center section that uses Frank's axles and driveshaft. G-Force also has a 9" kit with axles and driveshaft. There is another company that is working with DSS to produce a 12 Bolt center using DSS Axles and driveshaft and it will be offered in both aluminum or nodular iron. So plenty of choices there. The advantage to these is the availibility of a larger choice of ring and pinion ratios that are less expensive and stronger than the stock gears, and a choice of spool or a few different posi units.

All of those choices may seem expensive, but once you have spent the money to upgrade the stock centersection and axles and driveshaft, Depending on what options you choose it ends up only being a little bit more to go with the 9" or LPE setup. You can offset that cost by selling your stock diff.

I ended up with the DSS 9" setup for my car, with a Wavetrac diff, Strange nodular S-Series gear case, and Richmond 4.33 gears. I also upgraded to the Carbon fiber driveshaft.

If you get on the phone and talk to some of the sponsors on this board you will find that you can probably get all of these parts cheaper than what is advertised on the internet. After selling my stock Diff for 800 dollars I actually ended up saving money over upgrading all of the stock stuff.

Sorry for the wall of text, just wanted to throw that out there
Nice write-up,

and I'm putting wayyyy too much on the stock diff, which is why I dont have any passes to brag about...:(

Not too much longer though...

Horsepower is how fast you hit the wall.
Torque is how far you take the wall with you.

“If everything seems under control, you're just not going fast enough.” Mario Andretti

If you can turn, you ain't going fast enough...
SSE 4 2SS is offline   Reply With Quote