Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-12-2011, 01:13 PM   #127
shockandawe

Drives: 2014 Z51 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShnOmac View Post
The guys that have 550hp ZL1 will still have a warranty.... You will not!

To each their own!
I think these guys who shot their waad on the mods are a little pissed because of no warranty and they won't have the cash for a ZL1.
shockandawe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:19 PM   #128
lbls1

Drives: 2002 Camaro SS SOM; 2015 Malibu LTZ
I am very glad that this will be a regular production vehicles. It gives the zl1 a chance at being a sales and image draw for the camaro, as well as giving an opportunity for enthused fans to buy one.

As for the prices, its been my experience that any car can be bought at the right price (meaning no mark-ups). The key will be using some "street smarts" when shopping, and finding that dealer that wants to make an honest sale. I don't believe in mark-ups (and neither does the resale market) and I'll never overpay for a new car; However it will all depend on how well the car sells in order to obtain a good discount. Timing will definitely be the key in getting a zl1 at the right price.

'14 CAMARO ZL1 Blue Ray Metallic
lbls1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:20 PM   #129
Jefe's SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM L99
After spending lots o' money modding Jeeps and cars a $55K price tag is a deal. Can you get an SS to 575 at the crank for a a little money? Yes. Can you get an SS to 575 w/ magnetic supension, active exhaust, bigger brakes, bigger drive shaft, bigger half shafts, stronger torque converter, stronger transmission, improved aeros, working hood, improved interior, etc.? Not even close. And you'll be able to have a warranty if you can bear not to touch it.

Hell I had that much in an 01 Jeep TJ(Wrangler) when all was said and done and I did 90% or the labor.

Believe it or not thes car is a bargain. I'm sure there are guys here w/ that much into their SSs pretty quick w/ some mods to go. And trust me there can be a ton of headaches when modding a car in regards to reliability and drivability.
Jefe's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:22 PM   #130
Fat_Nick

Drives: 04 Pontiac GTO
Quote:
Originally Posted by vart View Post
I obviously can't speak for any other SS owners, but there was no way I could have waited another 3 years to get into a Camaro. Will I end up spending as much, or more, on mods to get my car to ZL1 levels? Maybe, but like I said, at least I'm driving one now and not sitting on the couch with my fingers crossed waiting for the day a ZL1 shows up at the doorstep.
I was actually waiting on the Z28 but that's looking more like a pipe dream with each passing update on the ZL1.

RK Sports Rear Valance|Banshee Hood|WSC SAP Grills & Front Fascia|VX Tails|Spoiler Delete|DDM HID|Alpine & JL Audio ICE|Monster Stage 3|GMM Street/LSS/Hurst|TxSpd-MS4 CAM & 100mm MAF|SLP UD Pulley|Custom Exhaust|Kooks LT|SNL Custom 4" CAI|PRC Stage 1 Heads|WRP & SSEEYA Ported FAST 92mm IMF|92mm FAST TB|Phoenix Tuned 474.4whp 410 ft/lbs

New Project Vehicle Coming Soon
Fat_Nick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:33 PM   #131
Lee9710

Drives: 2013 Summit White ZL1
Send a message via Yahoo to Lee9710
Those of us with modded SS's could care less about a warranty.....we knew the consequences for our actions. I have barely used any warranty I have ever had on my vehicles. For the price of a ZL1, I would have a nice used Z06 in my garage. The ZL1 is a great looking car, minus the steering wheel, and I'm sure if I didn't have my modded SS I would look at one after the price comes down a bit, but all this talk about warranties kills me. I'm still right around the price tag of a ZL1 with all my upgrades including my new 418 stroker motor. Can't wait to give the ZL1 a beat down with my supposed inferior parts car. Call me when the warrantied ZL1 hits low 10s like mine and we will have a better argument........until then, who cares about one. Have fun with both cars. Those of us that race regularly don't think about these things anyways. If it breaks, then fix it with better, stronger parts.

Proud Owner of the baddest Camaro ever built
ZL1
Lee9710 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:34 PM   #132
nitto85
Caffeine Injected

Drives: 13 Ram - 05 Widebody 1050rwhp Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
I think these guys who shot their waad on the mods are a little pissed because of no warranty and they won't have the cash for a ZL1.
Wrong, guess again.
nitto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:35 PM   #133
tadams72
When is enough ever...

Drives: 2006 Silverado 2500HD CC/SB LBZ
Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBear View Post
One of the main reasons GNX's sold for over MSRP at many of the dealerships that had them was that it was a very limited production vehicle with only 547 being produced, and the GNX was only offered for one model year, 1987.

The 1990 and 1991 ZR1s were also somewhat limited in production (availability of the Mercury Marine engine was a limiting factor along with the price, of course) with just over 3000 being produced in 1990 and just over 2000 being produced in 1991.

I don't believe that the availability and pricing of the 2012 ZL1 will be analogous to the 1987 GNX or the 1990 and 1991 ZR1's, as it has been stated that the ZL1 will not be a limited production vehicle. The ZL1 will have a two quarter (half year) production run for the 2012 model year. Then, of course, the ZL1 will have a full year production run in 2013, and thereafter.

I believe that individuals will be able to obtain 2012 ZL1's at MSRP with a little diligence (finding a dealer that sells at MSRP) and a little patience.

I think it's great that those of us who want a ZL1 will be able to purchase one, and those who want an SS and modify the hell out of it (or not) can do so.

Valid points and you very well could be correct. We shall see if a two quarter production run and over-zealous dealers impact the bottom line on the contract. I am still betting the mark-up will be over the top for at least the first year. If they continue to produce, the prices will self-correct. I'm not in the market for one so I'll just sit back and watch.

On another note, nice little collection in your stable.

"Just like farmer engineering. Find the weak link and fix it, then find the next one." Salt Cat Racing
tadams72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:41 PM   #134
shockandawe

I am absolutely just giddy about this car!
Old 06-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #135
shockandawe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee9710 View Post
Those of us with modded SS's could care less about a warranty.....we knew the consequences for our actions. I have barely used any warranty I have ever had on my vehicles. For the price of a ZL1, I would have a nice used Z06 in my garage. The ZL1 is a great looking car, minus the steering wheel, and I'm sure if I didn't have my modded SS I would look at one after the price comes down a bit, but all this talk about warranties kills me. I'm still right around the price tag of a ZL1 with all my upgrades including my new 418 stroker motor. Can't wait to give the ZL1 a beat down with my supposed inferior parts car. Call me when the warrantied ZL1 hits low 10s like mine and we will have a better argument........until then, who cares about one. Have fun with both cars. Those of us that race regularly don't think about these things anyways. If it breaks, then fix it with better, stronger parts.

Yes,but it will never be a ZL1, nor will never have the esteem and value! My money is on the ZL1.
Old 06-12-2011, 01:46 PM   #136
Lee9710

And on another note......all the extra goodies on the ZL1 are great, but to upgrade to the ones you actually need on an SS is not that expensive. I have no drivability issues and no trouble with braking. I won't be on a road course so I'm good there too. Driveshaft is fine and so is the tranny. If they go, I will replace them. I'm sure the car is a bargain, but I for one am not butt hurt by it for any reason. I like my early production SS. And it makes it even more fun when a car that is not supposed to be that fast wipes the floor with Shelbys and Z06's at the track. I also don't care about the ZL1 name. I didn't mod mine to be one. I modded it to be a bad ass SS pony killer.

ZL1
Old 06-12-2011, 01:50 PM   #137
nitto85
Caffeine Injected

Drives: 13 Ram - 05 Widebody 1050rwhp Vette
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2011RS/SS View Post
Based on what my CTS-V did stock, the Zr1 should have no problems hitting mid to high 11s with an auto. Hopefully they can keep the weight below 4000 lbs.

I am willing to bet the higher than 550hp number will probably come from a better flowing exhaust than what is on the cts-v. I just don't see them changing anything in the motor just to put it in the zl1. Changing from the puny 2inch to a 3 inch exhaust and a set of mufflers on my V gave me another 25rwhp. I would say they will rate hp at 575hp. I seriously doubt they will go as high as 600hp stock
Actually I think they could make 600hp or close very easy. Since the new GT500 is rumored to be around 600hp, they could do the exhaust just as you said, and make some adjustments in the tune to get them more in that range without really compromising the engine or components from their perspective.

Really though, unless your putting slicks on there, there is only so much you can get out of some street tires before its all a level playing field anyways really.
nitto85 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:52 PM   #138
Jefe's SS

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM L99
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lee9710 View Post
And on another note......all the extra goodies on the ZL1 are great, but to upgrade to the ones you actually need on an SS is not that expensive. I have no drivability issues and no trouble with braking. I won't be on a road course so I'm good there too. Driveshaft is fine and so is the tranny. If they go, I will replace them. I'm sure the car is a bargain, but I for one am not butt hurt by it for any reason. I like my early production SS. And it makes it even more fun when a car that is not supposed to be that fast wipes the floor with Shelbys and Z06's at the track. I also don't care about the ZL1 name. I didn't mod mine to be one. I modded it to be a bad ass SS pony killer.

Then why are you posting in the ZL1 thread and trying to rain on our parade?

You may not care about warranty but many of us do. I've been there, done that, and have that T-shirt. I'm done turning wrenches. If that's what you want to do then more power to you. But coming in to this thread to defend whatever you're trying to defend or justify isn't productive or condusive to this particlular thread. You say you're not butt hurt but you words and actions tell otherwise.
Jefe's SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2011, 01:54 PM   #139
Lee9710

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockandawe View Post
Yes,but it will never be a ZL1, nor will never have the esteem and value! My money is on the ZL1.
Ok.....the first time a ZL1 pulls up next to me and I blow it's doors off, I'll ask the guy about the esteem and value of owning it.

ZL1
Old 06-12-2011, 01:57 PM   #140
Lee9710

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jefe's SS View Post
Then why are you posting in the ZL1 thread and trying to rain on our parade?

You may not care about warranty but many of us do. I've been there, done that, and have that T-shirt. I'm done turning wrenches. If that's what you want to do then more power to you. But coming in to this thread to defend whatever you're trying to defend or justify isn't productive or condusive to this particlular thread. You say you're not butt hurt but you words and actions tell otherwise.
I'm just commenting on all the posts about the SS being inferior and modding being so bad because of having no warranty. If I wanted a ZL1 I'd go get one. I can afford it trust me. But all of the put downs on the modded cars are getting old. And last I checked anyone could post anywhere they wanted.

ZL1