Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 02-25-2009, 12:26 AM   #1
mwaussie
MyFirstCamaro!

Drives: 2010
newbie girl with questions-long post

Hi all,
My dream car has been a corvette since I was a kid. Camaros came in a close second. In high school (the mid80's) I positively drooled ove the Z28. Instead I had a '82 malibu and then an '86 caprice. By the time I could buy my own camaro it was the mid 90's. Now don't hate on me but I just didn't like the 90's body style. And I still couldn't afford a vette.
Last year I traded my camry (yawn) in for an Infiniti G35 Sport. Not my dream car, but it's pretty and fast enough and the reliability appealed to my more pragmatic side. I'd had it for 6 months when I heard about the new camaro. It looked awesome, so I did a bunch of research and fell in love. I'd like to get a 2SS/rs in black with cyber grey stripes or in cyber grey with black stripes. As far as I can tell, both those options are possible. To the questions...
Does anyone have an idea of the app. price tag on that. I've guestimated around 36k.
I've never done a trade-in. I put down 18k on my infiniti and still owe about 18k. Would GM work with that or do I need to sell my infiniti on my own?
Does anyone know of a decent dealership within 50 or so miles of the Austin, TX area.
Thanks everyone.
Miriam
mwaussie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:32 AM   #2
a6pk2go

Drives: ...
First of all......Welcome to the board!!!

I would try and sell it outright if I was you. Dealers usually lowball people and actually make more money selling used cars than they do on new ones. They only have about $1-2K to play with on a new one usually and used ones they buy low and sell high. I have a friend that used to sell cars and I have no idea how he made $100K a year because he didn't look like the smartest man in the world but he knew to sell used cars instead of the new ones.

Good luck.
a6pk2go is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:33 AM   #3
bobby35ny

Drives: 18 ZL1 A10
36K with the stick, tad more for the Auto.
-bobby
Old 02-25-2009, 12:34 AM   #4
zebra
just can't seem to leave

Drives: your mom wild!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by mwaussie View Post
Hi all,
My dream car has been a corvette since I was a kid. Camaros came in a close second. In high school (the mid80's) I positively drooled ove the Z28. Instead I had a '82 malibu and then an '86 caprice. By the time I could buy my own camaro it was the mid 90's. Now don't hate on me but I just didn't like the 90's body style. And I still couldn't afford a vette.
Last year I traded my camry (yawn) in for an Infiniti G35 Sport. Not my dream car, but it's pretty and fast enough and the reliability appealed to my more pragmatic side. I'd had it for 6 months when I heard about the new camaro. It looked awesome, so I did a bunch of research and fell in love. I'd like to get a 2SS/rs in black with cyber grey stripes or in cyber grey with black stripes. As far as I can tell, both those options are possible. To the questions...
Does anyone have an idea of the app. price tag on that. I've guestimated around 36k.
I've never done a trade-in. I put down 18k on my infiniti and still owe about 18k. Would GM work with that or do I need to sell my infiniti on my own?
Does anyone know of a decent dealership within 50 or so miles of the Austin, TX area.
Thanks everyone.
Miriam
first off, welcome! it's always great to have more camaro lovers!

as for an approximate price, that's pretty close. last 2SS pricing i saw has an MSRP of $34,180. add the stripes for $510, and $995 if you want the automatic.

i've never done a trade-in either, so i can't tell you how all that works, but you'll more than likely get more for the G35 if you sell it yourself.

there's a thread around here showing dealers selling for MSRP or less. there's bound to be one near you. let me find it...
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=621
Samson ('18 HD): compounded 408
zebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:38 AM   #5
GrnMchin
Not easy being Green

Drives: 67 Nova SS
36k is about right with a ton of opps. Search the sight theirs a ton of info on pricing and opps. As far as a dealer sorry can help.
And Welcome

Last edited by GrnMchin; 02-25-2009 at 12:49 AM.
GrnMchin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 AM   #6
Camaroyoung

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS RS BLk/IOM
Quote:
Hi all,
Thanks everyone.
Miriam
__________________________________________________ _____

Welcome Miriam (I'm a girl too!) Plenty of experts here to help answer your questions.
Camaroyoung is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 12:59 AM   #7
TheCavalry
Here it comes

Drives: 2010 Camaro 1SS, '02 Lancer OZ
welcome to the boards!

Ordered IBM 1SS 20" Polished Wheels

You want to kick ass, or fondle the door panels, sissy? - Jason Kavanagh
TheCavalry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:06 AM   #8
jesserayjames

Drives: Drives a 2012 IOM 2SS/RS 6M
Go to this web site and configure your own 2SS/RS.

http://www.camaroz28.com/camarobuild...&salesTax=6.00
Old 02-25-2009, 01:11 AM   #9
JMAN311

Drives: 2013 F-150 Limited
Welcome

First of I gotta say you have made an excellent choice with the color schemes. I have a Black 2SS on order with CGM stripes . I've also considered the reverse scheme but I'm not going to change it til I see CGM in person and also see pics of the car in full CGM paint. As to the pricing here is what my car should be

33,430 - base price
750 - dest. charge
1,200 - RS package
395 - factory CGM stripes
380 - Hurst shifter (hopefully they start factory installs of this by the time my order is pulled)

$36,155 GRAND TOTAL is what I'm expecting my MSRP to be
(prices were all taken from the list here which was released in mid Oct. when ordering first opened up http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8239)

As it's been stated if you want to get the most for your car you need to try to sell it yourself. If you are going to trade make sure to get a feel for what the car is worth. You can use sites like kbb.com and nadaguides.com to give you a rough estimate. Also check Ebay and autotrader to see what other dealers/owners are trying to get for the same car. Bottom line is the dealer is only going to give you what they can get a similar car for at the auctions so don't expect to get as much as you see on the websites, especially since you are buying a next gen Camaro the dealer probably won't budge on the MSRP price. Dealers are usually always happy to work with trade-ins cause that's where most of the profits are at is the used cars and service work. Hope that helps.
2013 Camaro ZL1 A6|SIM
2010 Camaro 2SS/RS|M6|CGM Exterior|Gray Int
2000 Camaro SS|M6|SLP headers|SLP center mounted quad exhaust|Magnaflow muffler|Hypertech programmed
2001 Corvette|M6|LG Motorsports Headers|Corsa Touring Cat-back|Magnaflow X Pipe|Hurst short-throw|Dyno tuned
JMAN311 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 01:56 AM   #10
PQ
Booooosted.

Drives: 2010 Supercharged SS
Send a message via Yahoo to PQ
I didn't like the 4th Gen body either. These guys are right on. You've come to the right place.
Old 02-25-2009, 02:59 AM   #11
OUR72GTO
2010 SIM Beige RS 6M

Drives: SIM RS 6M 66 Corvair Silverado LTZ
I have helped a number of my older neices buy new cars.........

Please take some one with you. Rent a fake uncle if you have too.!!
Old 02-25-2009, 03:47 AM   #12
taz
Taz

Drives: 2010 RS/SS Camaro
I pretty much agree with everyone elses post on the cost of the new camaro.

As for trading in your car, I would try selling it outright since you will have time before your camaro arrives.

For example, my brother traded in a Hyndai Accent a few years ago for $1,500 for a Nissan Xterra. I went the the dealership two weeks later to see it in their lot listing it as one owner excellent condition for $9,500. (The car actually had transmission and brake issues when traded in and found the new owner a few months later and he said he bought the car w/ a bad transmission and fading brakes).

If you know someone who needs a car like a family member or a friend, maybe give them a break in price than what the dealer is willing to give you. I told my brother he should of sold it to me since I was without a car at that time.

Just my opinion.

Taz
taz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:15 AM   #13
Txturbo
Keeper of the Faith

Drives: 2001 Z28 Agressively
Quote:
Hi all,
Thanks everyone.
Miriam
Welcome Miriam.....personally, I don't trade in cars. Sell it yourself if possible. If you trade it in you aren't going to get as much for it.You've come to a good place for info and you've chosen the right car. There is a dealer in or around Austin that some people on this board have used. Henna Chevrolet, 8805 N I-35, Austin, TX. Not sure if they have any allocation left, but if you plan to buy after March 15th, it won't matter.

2010 Camaro SS R6P
2001 Camaro Z28
1969 Camaro SS clone

Txturbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2009, 06:33 AM   #14
roadie2991
Camaroholic

Drives: '10 Camaro 2LT/RS IOM int/ext
Welcome! Something else that you need to take into consideration is that if you sell your car yourself, you'll be paying sales tax on the entire purchase price of your new Camaro. However, if you trade your present car in, you'll only pay sales tax on the difference in the value of the two cars. As new as your car is, it will be worth quite a bit, so you won't have to pay very much in sales tax. kbb.com can tell you the trade-in value of your car. When you find a dealer that you like and are ready to place an order, ask them to bid your car in its present condition. They should be willing to do so, but won't commit to paying that in a few months (too many things can change in that time). But, at least in will give you a pretty good idea what they will be willing to do.
2500 3-24-09
3000 3-26-09
3100 4-18-09
3300 4-18-09
3400 4-30-09
3800 5-6-09 #8102
4000 5-6-09
4104 5-6-09
4B00 5-6-09
4200 5-12-09
5000 5-20-09
6000 5-20-09