Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Vararam
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 12-27-2009, 06:21 PM   #1
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
tail light covers

I saw these on a car here in the forums and found them for sale on the web:

http://www.amazon.com/GT-Styling-GT4...1959547&sr=8-1

They are GT tail light blackout covers.

I am considering buying these for my CGM Camaro.

Anybody know anything about them? I want something that is more durable than a film cover. They're a tad expensive (but not horribly so) and I think I may get them. Thought I'd see what you all think.

Thanks.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:22 PM   #2
Darth_Emma

Here is another set from RPI Designs:
http://www.rpidesigns.com/shop/item.asp?itemid=1702

I can't tell from their website though if these are the same as the GT ones or not. Also, I'm not sure how easy any of these are to install.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:30 PM   #3
d78

Drives: Black 2SS
had some on a different car. they have velcro that you have to stick on. they get really nasty underneath because water and dirt build up. if you want to take them off you have to remove the velcro which leaves a film or just leave the velcro there which looks pretty stupid. i would suggest the film or even the static cling because you don't have to clean under them and they can be removed easily.
d78 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 07:59 PM   #4
wer2foxs

Drives: 2010 VR SS
Much cheaper to install or have them tinted with graphics. I bought the tints on ebay for tless than 20 bucks to do side lights, rear taillights rear back up lights and foglights and doing them myself. I will take pics after I get finished.
wer2foxs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2009, 09:03 PM   #5
UberFlaco
Certified Zombie Hunter

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS
I bought the whole set (headlight, fog lights and tail lights) of GTS covers. Would definately not recommend them to anyone. The velcro pieces that hold them in place are visible, especially when the brakes are applied, and as D78 said they get pretty ugly underneath. Also wasn't perfectly happy with the fit, were cut a tad bit small.
UberFlaco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 10:58 AM   #6
HeadlightArmor

Drives: Company Car
Post Headlight Armor Smoked Taillight Kits are also an option

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darth_Emma View Post
I want something that is more durable than a film cover. They're a tad expensive (but not horribly so) and I think I may get them. Thought I'd see what you all think.

Thanks.
Just an FYI, the materials we use for our lighting protection kits, including our smoked taillight kits is 8x-10x thicker than typical ebay overlays made from vinyl designed for the inside of an illuminated sign. They are made to also protect the lens - they are going to be more durable than a hard plastic cover. Just another option for you.

Stock (non RS) vs Headlight Armor Smoked Taillight kit in the afternoon sun.

More info in our vendor thread here
HeadlightArmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 01:44 PM   #7
Darth_Emma

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeadlightArmor View Post
Just an FYI, the materials we use for our lighting protection kits, including our smoked taillight kits is 8x-10x thicker than typical ebay overlays made from vinyl designed for the inside of an illuminated sign. They are made to also protect the lens - they are going to be more durable than a hard plastic cover. Just another option for you.
Thanks for that information. After doing some research on these I wonder if "gunk" gets behind these and makes them difficult to keep clean? Can they be removed to clean them and then put back on?
Thanks.
Old 01-03-2010, 02:40 PM   #8
HeadlightArmor

Our kits are fully adhesive backed, nothing gets behind them. A similar concept to a clear bra on the front of the vehicle protecting the paint, only these are thicker and designed for the lights. As far as maintenance and cleaning goes, we do recommend cleaning and protecting them with a high quality vinyl / plastic polish / protectant. Although they are fully removable (great for leased vehicles) they are only designed to be installed once. The taillight kit is applied similar to the C6 Corvette kit here

Hope that helps.
Old 01-03-2010, 04:13 PM   #9
catman

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS Inferno Orange Met
so the ones that are on your web site....tail lights, are they a ss or rs tail lights?
GM 10" Subs
Rally Strips
Fog, Turn Signal, and Tail light Blackouts
catman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2010, 04:58 PM   #10
HeadlightArmor

The orange Camaro modeling the taillight kit is a non-rs while the black one is an rs.
If you click any of the smaller photos they will show much larger photos with a full description at the top of the photo.
Old 01-05-2010, 07:56 PM   #11
bigwormgraphix
Account Suspended

Drives: 1991 Z28, 2015 SS & 2017 SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by UberFlaco View Post
Also wasn't perfectly happy with the fit, were cut a tad bit small.
I've installed the covers we sell on several camaros and all of the factory trim rings vary in size a little bit (fractions of an inch) from Chevrolet. The material we use is also a 20 mil thick material and after you apply heat to it, it conforms to the lens very well. On cars that have smaller trim rings you can trim the extra material off - big advantage over the plastic type covers.

bigwormgraphix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2010, 11:12 PM   #12
SILVER BULLITT

Drives: 2010 SIM 2SS/RS MONSTER
thats next on my agenda
HP MONSTER' SOUTHERN CALIFORNIA BUILT, LMR CAI, CUSTOM GRIND CAM, CUSTOM BUILT CNC PORTED AND POLISHED HEADS, FAST 102MM INTAKE MANIFOLD,ARH LONG TUBES AND HIGH FLOW CATS, BIGGER INJECTORS, VALVES SPRINGS RETAINERS, MGW SHORT SHIFTER, EIBACH SPRINGS, FACTORY CHROMED WHEELS, BLACKED OUT EMBLEMS, BLACKED OUT ROOF,BLACKED OUT MARKERS, 3.5 INCH ELECTRONIC CUTOUTS, FLOWMASTERS, ZEX WET 150 SHOT, FOR A GRAND TOTAL OF =630 REAR WHEEL TORQUE ,AND 600 REAR WHEEL HORSEPOWER
MY JOURNALhttp://www.camaro5.com/forums/showth...02#post2023802 SOON TWIN TURBO SETUP
SILVER BULLITT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2010, 11:45 AM   #13
Supercharged2SS

Drives: 2010 2SS - Supercharged
agree with all the others on the the plastic ones that velcro on. I ordered them. I would not recommend. you can see the little velcro dots and they got dirty underneath. fit was sketchy at best. they lasted less than 24 hours on the car.
Supercharged2SS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2010, 12:45 PM   #14
98nosz28

Drives: 1998 Camaro Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigwormgraphix View Post
I've installed the covers we sell on several camaros and all of the factory trim rings vary in size a little bit (fractions of an inch) from Chevrolet. The material we use is also a 20 mil thick material and after you apply heat to it, it conforms to the lens very well. On cars that have smaller trim rings you can trim the extra material off - big advantage over the plastic type covers.

What color option does this have? I am not sure how dark I want it.

2011 SS/RS synergy green, sunroof, M6. Street scene ground effects, hood spear and shark fin decals from ridergraphix.
98nosz28 is offline   Reply With Quote