Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Forced Induction - V8

Old 02-09-2009, 02:05 PM   #29
nfamous209

Drives: 2002 Camaro z28
Send a message via AIM to nfamous209 Send a message via Yahoo to nfamous209
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroSpike23 View Post
if it will bolt up to L92 heads, it will work on the LS3. LS1, LS2, LS6 s/c should all work on the LS3. cus all the LS3 really is, is an LS2 block bored out with L92 heads on it with a few extra modifications.
R u sure about this statement. u realize ls1,ls2,ls6 heads are different then the l92 heads. and the ls3 block is different then the ls2. ls2 blocks are great for increasing displacement. ls3 blocks have been having issues in increasing displacement. something about ls3 blocks are weaker then the ls2's. go to ls1tech and you'll see. there is a magnacharger kit that fits ls1,ls2,ls6 style heads. and magnacharger just made a new s/c for the ls3. so 2 different s/c intake manifolds. i dont think the ls3 kit is officially available yet.
nfamous209 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 02:32 PM   #30
Robert91RS

Drives: Everywhere
That's the first I have heard about the LS3 being weak. Infact my understanding was that they had imroved it in several ways over the LS2 block.

As for Spike's comment, I think he forgot to proof read because half of his statement is true and then he contradicts himself, so just a typo I'm sure. It's common knowledge that Greg Norris knows every thing.
Robert91RS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:06 PM   #31
radz28
Petro-sexual

Drives: Ultra-Grin
+2 I haven't heard that either. I know the lower end has been strengthened as of late. If I'm not mistaken, both are siamesed. Maybe because the cylinder walls are thicker on the LS2 make it a little stronger but that arguement goes away after one starts boring. Could it be some of that AFM/VVT bosses in the lifter valley causing some weakening?

All I know is, is that LS3 heads flow way better than LS1/2/6 heads. I know you need different cam profiles to take advantage of them and don't really see why the Maggy' kit from the G8 GT wouldn't work. I believe the heads are at least the same style, so the supercharger lower manifold should bolt up.

'20 ZL1 Black "Fury"
A10, PDR, Exposed CF Extractor
Magnuson Magnum DI TVS2650R // RFBG // Soler 103 // TooHighPSI Port Injection // THPSI Billet Lid // FF // Katech Drop-In // PLM Heat Exchanger // ZLE Cradle bushings // BMR Chassis-Suspension Stuff // aFe Bars // Diode Dynamics LEDs // ACS Composites Guards // CF Dash // Aeroforce // tint // other stuffs
radz28 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 03:47 PM   #32
Robin Lawrence

Drives: 2010 Camaro 69 Nova
The heads on the LS3, L92 , LS9 and the LSA are all square port. The LS1, LS2, LS6 and the 4.8 and 5.3 are all Cathedral ports.
The manifolds are different.

I have a Harrop TVS 2300 for the LS3 headed engines. It is too much blower for a stock bottom end. In testing it made 728 foot pouds of torque at 3700 RPM. That was on a short pull to 4000 RPM. It was makng 543 Horsepower at 4000 RPM.

To be safe a decent set of rods and pistons are needed. The TVS 2300 can go north of 900 Horsepwer with the right package.

I wish I could put the one that I have on my new Camaro. GMPP wants my car to be a true "bolt on" car. Getting into the short block is a little more than the average guy is going to do with his new Camaro.

Robin

Robin Lawrence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2009, 04:02 PM   #33
Robert91RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robin Lawrence View Post
The heads on the LS3, L92 , LS9 and the LSA are all square port. The LS1, LS2, LS6 and the 4.8 and 5.3 are all Cathedral ports.

I have a Harrop TVS 2300 for the LS3 headed engines. It is too much blower for a stock bottom end. In testing it made 728 foot pouds of torque at 3700 RPM. That was on a short pull to 4000 RPM. It was makng 543 Horsepower at 4000 RPM.

To be safe a decent set of rods and pistons are needed. The TVS 2300 can go north of 900 Horsepwer with the right package.

I wish I could put the one that I have on my new Camaro. GMPP wants my car to be a true "bolt on" car. Getting into the short block is a little more than the average guy is going to do with his new Camaro.

Robin
mmmmmm......tvs 2300.....
What about the crank Robin, what is it good to?
Old 02-09-2009, 09:46 PM   #34
Shurenuff

Drives: 2002 Nissan Altima
Will we have to replace the hood to fit some of these superchargers?
Shurenuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:40 AM   #35
Robert91RS

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurenuff View Post
Will we have to replace the hood to fit some of these superchargers?
Some of them I'm sure won't fit but several like the Maggy are very low profile and I would expect them to fit just fine.
Old 02-10-2009, 10:23 AM   #36
Andro
NOICE!!! ™

Drives: Force Fed 427
Quote:

Robin

DAM! 728 foot pounds at only 3700 RPM Thats sick!
Old 02-10-2009, 10:28 AM   #37
Robin Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert91RS View Post
mmmmmm......tvs 2300.....
What about the crank Robin, what is it good to?

Weelllllll....... I have to say not to go over 600 but I have heard people over 750 on stock cranks

I would suggest a Lunati steel crank if you want to lean on it.

Robin

Old 02-10-2009, 02:02 PM   #38
PatrickfromMD

Drives: Buick Enclave/Corvette/2010 Camaro
Quote:

Robin

Robin,

What do you say to a L99 with a TVS 1900 blower? Say 7psi, do you think tthe motor can handle it? Do you think the Auto Tranny can handle it?

***56K miles and still going strong***
2SS/RS IOM ext w/cyber grey stripes, tinted windows, IO int Auto
ProTorque prototype Converter, Chuck Mosello of Westchester Corvettes Custom Tune
T&T installed SLP Longtubes, Powerflow X Pipe, and Powerflow axle back
JL 10W3 in custom side sub box, new door tweeters, Alpine 5ch 600 watt
T&T configured ACS front Fascia w/ heritage grill, splitter, dual color halos, , led markers, taillight bezels , all accented in CGM
Gary Custom Z vented fenders. Vararam ver 2
PatrickfromMD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 02:08 PM   #39
GTAHVIT
Blessed

Drives: 2013 Sonic RS MT
Quote:

Robin
So, with Stock bottom end on our LS3's and say a TVS 1900, on a bench dyno, how much boost and power do you think is reliable?
GTAHVIT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #40
Robin Lawrence

First I don't know very much about that auto trans. It hasn't been around long enough to beat up on it and figure it out.

The TVS 1900 would be a much better choice for a stock LS3.

I have talked to the guys at Harrop as well as Eaton. The TVS 2300 is capable of moving enough air to support in excess of 900 horsepower at the crankshaft.
The TVS 1900 is capable of north of 700 and close to 800 in the right situation.
The LS3 is tough but it's going to live a short life if you spend a lot of time in those numbers. A quick hit every now and them maybe.

One of the reasons that the ZR1 hasent't been turned up is that it has to pass strict durability testing. Your LS3 isn't made to take that kind of power.

Again people will go that direction and some will get by. But IMO the TVS design superchargers move a lot of air. Your going to need to build a strong shortblock to hold the power.

Robin

Old 02-10-2009, 08:36 PM   #41
Silver Streak

Drives: 2008 Cobalt SS/TC
Send a message via AIM to Silver Streak Send a message via MSN to Silver Streak
Quote:
First I don't know very much about that auto trans. It hasn't been around long enough to beat up on it and figure it out.

The TVS 1900 would be a much better choice for a stock LS3.

I have talked to the guys at Harrop as well as Eaton. The TVS 2300 is capable of moving enough air to support in excess of 900 horsepower at the crankshaft.
The TVS 1900 is capable of north of 700 and close to 800 in the right situation.
The LS3 is tough but it's going to live a short life if you spend a lot of time in those numbers. A quick hit every now and them maybe.

One of the reasons that the ZR1 hasent't been turned up is that it has to pass strict durability testing. Your LS3 isn't made to take that kind of power.

Again people will go that direction and some will get by. But IMO the TVS design superchargers move a lot of air. Your going to need to build a strong shortblock to hold the power.

Robin
So is 600 hp a good figure for a stock block and still maintain good reliability?
Silver Streak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2009, 06:50 AM   #42
Robin Lawrence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silver Streak View Post
So is 600 hp a good figure for a stock block and still maintain good reliability?
Reliability goes out of the door once you start to add the stress to the engine. Everything is a compromise when in the performance world.

Would I do it? Hell yeah! Would I let my daughter do it to her daily driver....no I would not.

Any modifications are a risk. Some people are willing to take the risk involved and have the cash to make the repairs should they have a problem.

I cannot tell you that the LS3 will be reliable with supercharger making 600 Horsepower. I can only say there are people who have done it.

Sorry for the PC answer but this is a public forum.

Robin