Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Other Generations > 4th Generation Camaros

Old 03-31-2009, 06:11 PM   #1
Broshot

Drives: 1999 Camaro Z28
Best method to clean a throttle body on '99 Z

I figure this may be simple, but I wanted to put this out there to the forum and see what you guys think. The dealership wanted to charge me $100 bucks to clean my throttle body, but I heard all I would need is a toothbrush and some throttle body cleaner. Can anyone give me some specifics on how to clean the throttle body?
Broshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 07:47 PM   #2
robby

Drives: 02 B4C 6M
Toothbrush/T-B cleaner will work.
Small rags saturated w/cleaner work well.
Not knowing your capabilities, cleaning to be done holding throttle plate open.
Also, clean as much of the edge of the throttle blade as possible.
DO NOT spray cleaner into the throttle body. It will migrate into the throttle shaft area and dry out the shaft bearings. It also can migrate into the TPS sensor and short it out.
After cleaning, add a bottle of Chevron w/ Techron fuel injector cleaner to a full tank of fuel. Use the size for 20 gallon treatment.
Do not add fuel till your down at the last 1/4 full on the gauge.
Do the injector cleaner routine twice a year as a maintenence program.
Perform throttle body cleaning every year or 12k miles. It's easier to keep it clean than make it clean.
Good luck,
Rob
robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2009, 08:12 PM   #3
Broshot

Drives: 1999 Camaro Z28

So I am hearing that I should totally remove the throttle body from the car and reinstall it after I clean it. Based on what you are saying, I can do it by disconnecting the intake hose and wipe it down while it is connected, right?
Broshot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2009, 10:05 AM   #4
robby

Drives: 02 B4C 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by Broshot View Post

So I am hearing that I should totally remove the throttle body from the car and reinstall it after I clean it. Based on what you are saying, I can do it by disconnecting the intake hose and wipe it down while it is connected, right?
As long as you are not spraying into it, on car cleaning is fine.

Rob
robby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2009, 06:28 PM   #5
7CAMARO7

Drives: Slow 4th gen
take it off, take it apart, use throttle body cleaner and a towel=BEST

Spray throttle body cleaner inside of it while still on the car and wipe down with rag=FAST, but still good

7CAMARO7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2009, 11:50 PM   #6
F55C6

Drives: 1998 Camaro SS 2005 Corvette
BG

I had the same problem after my throttle stuck open and the engine hit the rev limiter. I used BG Throttle Body cleaner on a cold engine. I was told to make sure the engine was cold because the cleaner would ruin the MAF sensor if the cold fluid hit the MAF wire. I was not told about possibly drying out any bearings. I used an entire can of the spray and wiped the throttle body down. I did this while it was installed on the car. No problems since.
F55C6 is offline   Reply With Quote