Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Wheels and Tires Talk Sponsored by The Tire Rack

Old 04-06-2013, 06:16 AM   #1
Eastcoast Camaro Chick
Eastcoast Camaro Chick

Drives: 2011 Camaro RS
factory tires

I just bought my car about 2 months ago(bought used with 25k on it), which had winter rims on it. Last week I took the winter wheels off of it and put on the factory rims and tires that would be on the car new. This car is all over the road, pulls left to right, the handling is very bad. I have had the car back to the dealer twice, 2 different guys test drove the car(0ne says he is a professional racer)haha, they say this is the way the car drives because of the wide tires...please tell me this isn't so, this is horrible. There has to be a fix to this....it doesn't feel right and this isn't my first muscle car...any ideas guys??
Eastcoast Camaro Chick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 06:46 AM   #2
2010SSRSM6

Drives: My wife crazy with my C5 usage.
Did you put the wide tires in the back or both on one side? There is no reason for the car not to track straight unless one is flat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 04-06-2013, 07:44 AM   #3
sloSS

Drives: 2012 Camaro 1SS RS LS3
I was in the car biz for a very short time.
Had a Cadillac STS traded in that drove all over the road, too.
Discovered it had a staggered wheel/tire setup like our Camaro's and someone installed the larger rear wheels on one side and the smaller front wheels on the other.
VERY valid point to verify tire locations are correct.
sloSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 07:50 AM   #4
Eastcoast Camaro Chick
Eastcoast Camaro Chick

The tires are were they are suppose to be, so they say. I thought that was the problem also. Maybe they were directional and on wrong but they say there is nothing wrong. I beg to differ, something is wrong here. On the back is 275/40 zr20 and front is 245/45 zr20.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:00 AM   #5
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
I've been in new cars where the damned lugnuts fell off after "factory service".

Never take their word for anything they do at the shop.

What they told you: "this is the way the car drives because of the wide tires" is as you know complete bullshit

There can be something wrong with how the tires are mounted or balanced or the tires themselves may be defective.

Maybe you can find another camaro enthusiast in Nova Scotia with a similar car with those stock wheels and tires, and then pay a visit to the dealer again, then demonstrate that the other car doesn't drive like that

I am getting a really bad vibe from your dealer.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:07 AM   #6
Eastcoast Camaro Chick
Eastcoast Camaro Chick

Yes I agree, Monday I will be taking it to another dealer to see what they think. And maybe get them to take one of their Camaros out for a drive then jump in mine, so they can see for themselves.
Old 04-06-2013, 08:12 AM   #7
OmniCamaro
US Veteran

Drives: 2011 Silver Ice Metallic 2SS/RS A6
Pirelli's suck, plain and simple! Terrible in cold/cool weather and terrible with road grooves! I suggest getting new tires if you can afford them. I was totally shocked after getting new tires at how much better the car drove.

my .02
Old 04-06-2013, 08:13 AM   #8
ChrisBlair
Buick 455 Fan

Drives: 1970 Buick, 2012 1SS LS3
Quote:
Originally Posted by OmniCamaro View Post
Pirelli's suck, plain and simple! Terrible in cold/cool weather and terrible with road grooves! I suggest getting new tires if you can afford them. I was totally shocked after getting new tires at how much better the car drove.

my .02
but they don't make the car wander like a kid's jolly jalopy unless something is wrong
Old 04-06-2013, 08:16 AM   #9
Eastcoast Camaro Chick
Eastcoast Camaro Chick

Yes they are Pirellis too. Maybe it is just them tires. Thanks guys I really appreciate the help.
Old 04-06-2013, 09:44 AM   #10
Ieatfordsforlunch

Drives: 2008 colorado
Make sure you have the tires going in the correct direction. We get propel rotating there tires coming in saying it doesn't drive correct and the tires are in reverse direction. These tires can't be rotated on the car.
Ieatfordsforlunch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2013, 10:24 AM   #11
VR Baron
SoCal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: 2021 Shadow Grey Camaro 2SS 1LE
My Perellis are fine and most tires this wide, or I should say the right width, can follow the freeway groves,my 4th gen did with 245's or 275's.
VR Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:17 AM   #12
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
remember these wider tires track in 'grooves' in the pavement. If you get on an old road, or a road with a lot of 'grooves' from big trucks/tractors, etc., those wide tires will want to ride and track in the middle of that. now if you are on new, clean pavement and they are tracking all over the road, yes, then you have an issue.
hrpiii is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2013, 06:36 AM   #13
TAPSHIFT

Drives: '11 IBM 2SS/RS '16 1GB Z51 ragtop
Pirelli P Zeros

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ieatfordsforlunch View Post
Make sure you have the tires going in the correct direction. We get propel rotating there tires coming in saying it doesn't drive correct and the tires are in reverse direction. These tires can't be rotated on the car.
The OE Pirellis on the SS are Asymmetric and not directional.
There is an inside and outside for mounting purposes.
The info below comes from Pirelli's website....

Asymmetric Tread Patterns
An asymmetric pattern is designed to blend the requirements of dry grip and water dispersal/snow traction where the tread pattern changes across the face of the tire. An asymmetric tread pattern usually incorporates larger tread ribs/blocks on the outboard side to increase cornering stability on dry roads by offering greater contact area. This also helps to reduce tread squirm and heat buildup on the outside shoulder. The inboard side usually features smaller independent tread blocks to aid wet and/or winter traction when driving straight ahead. Tires featuring asymmetric tread patterns allow using multiple tire rotation patterns.
TAPSHIFT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 02:08 PM   #14
Eastcoast Camaro Chick
Eastcoast Camaro Chick

Well Im off to test drive another Camaro, haha. I have to see if they all drive like this. Finger crossed that it is the tires and not how my Camaro rides. Im sure its the tires tho. I will keep you posted.