Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Camaro V8 LS3 / L99 Engine, Exhaust, and Bolt-Ons

Old 11-30-2010, 10:54 PM   #1
DadsCamaro

Drives: 2011 SS
Edelbrock_Borla Shorty Headers, will these make any noticeable power worthwhile?

I see they make these shorties to mate up to the OEM cat downpipe section. The prices are marginally lower than longtubes just wondering if these make power at all compared to the long tubes.
DadsCamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:29 PM   #2
v6sonoma

Drives: 2010 SS RS
They make some but nowhere near LT's with highflow cats. If you can't or won't do a tune they do offer some gains.

Mods: BBK Intake, BBK LT's and High Flow Cats, Corsa Cat-back exhaust, Hurst short throw shifter, SLP skip-shift eliminator.

7/1/09 Placed order for IOM/IO int/ SS/RS 6M
9/26/09 Took delivery!
v6sonoma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2010, 11:32 PM   #3
2010 SSRS

Drives: 3 V8 Camaros
go with longtubes, you will be very happy, I love my LT's.
Old 11-30-2010, 11:35 PM   #4
mikeSS

Drives: 2015 c7
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010 SSRS View Post
go with longtubes, you will be very happy, I love my LT's.
i thinking everyone who as LTs love them and wont have it any other way
mikeSS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 12:10 PM   #5
MTI Racing Kevin

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Shorties

If you go with a shortie header system make sure to take the stock cats off and replace them with a set of high flow cats. Solo Performance makes high flow cats for this type of application. The stock manifolds and cats do nothing to help power and if you upgrade one and not the other you will not get the full benefit of either.
MTI Racing Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:40 PM   #6
DadsCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTI Racing Kevin View Post
If you go with a shortie header system make sure to take the stock cats off and replace them with a set of high flow cats. Solo Performance makes high flow cats for this type of application. The stock manifolds and cats do nothing to help power and if you upgrade one and not the other you will not get the full benefit of either.

In terms of sound by doing this will it be comparable to the long tubes? Only reason I posted up is because I am not sure what my wife will buy me. Long tubes are pricey the shortys are less than half.

i want more power mostly but not to the point of being too loud since I like to go for long drives.

suggestions?
Old 12-01-2010, 02:44 PM   #7
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
Quote:
Originally Posted by DadsCamaro View Post
In terms of sound by doing this will it be comparable to the long tubes? Only reason I posted up is because I am not sure what my wife will buy me. Long tubes are pricey the shortys are less than half.

i want more power mostly but not to the point of being too loud since I like to go for long drives.

suggestions?
I'm also interested. Trying to decide on LT's or shorties with HF cats, but I don't want it too loud on long drives.

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2010, 02:48 PM   #8
DadsCamaro

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Myles View Post
I'm also interested. Trying to decide on LT's or shorties with HF cats, but I don't want it too loud on long drives.

M
Lots of local kids have these cars so damn loud I could never drive one like that. I am very happy with the Corsa exhaust but want some more grunt under full throttle and some power.

maybe i should just save up for a blower and leave the exhaust as is for now.
Old 12-02-2010, 12:11 PM   #9
MTI Racing Kevin

Drives: 2010 Camaro
Longtude headers with high flow cats and X-Pipe center section will give you much more power over a pair of the shortie headers. If you are worried about the longtubes being to loud try installing them and leave the stock mufflers on the car. The stock muffler flows pretty darn good for stock and sound very good under acceleration, but remain quiet while just cruising around. Excellent for road trips. If after putting the headers on with the stock mufflers and it is still to quiet then move on to an axle back muffler system. If you are on a budget get the headers with the cats and omit the x-pipe center section and roll with that.
You will be surprised how good the stock mufflers sound with a set of headers and high flow cats.
MTI Racing Kevin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 12:17 PM   #10
Camaro_Custom_Painted
Choke on that causality!

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Quote:
The stock muffler flows pretty darn good for stock and sound very good under acceleration, but remain quiet while just cruising around. Excellent for road trips. You will be surprised how good the stock mufflers sound with a set of headers and high flow cats.
I have this setup, long tubes with factory exhaust and I agree. Cruising is just a bit louder with the headers, punch it and it roars.
Edelbrock EForce - Stainless Works Headers - BMR Sways & Arms & Toe Links & Control Arm Bushings & End Links - Rotofab CAI - Assorted Interior, Exterior, Underhood Bling - Red Jewel Stripes & Full Body Clear - Lexani LX15 Wheels - JRE Fuel Rail Upgrade - Kenne Bell BAP - Heartthrob XPipe - Elite Catch Can - Pedders Cradle & Front Arm Bushings - Hotchkis Strut Brace - MSD Wires - Carbotech Brakes - DSS 1000HP Axles & Driveshaft - Mickey Thompson Tires - Halo Harness - AutoMeter A/F, Boost, Fuel Pressure Gauges - Whats Next?
Camaro_Custom_Painted is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2010, 03:48 PM   #11
Mark Myles

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IBM / Silver Stripes
Quote:
Longtude headers with high flow cats and X-Pipe center section will give you much more power over a pair of the shortie headers. If you are worried about the longtubes being to loud try installing them and leave the stock mufflers on the car. The stock muffler flows pretty darn good for stock and sound very good under acceleration, but remain quiet while just cruising around. Excellent for road trips. If after putting the headers on with the stock mufflers and it is still to quiet then move on to an axle back muffler system. If you are on a budget get the headers with the cats and omit the x-pipe center section and roll with that.
You will be surprised how good the stock mufflers sound with a set of headers and high flow cats.
Thank you for the information!! However, I already purchased a Flowmaster cat back system and have it installed.. But, I still have my stock exhaust!! I guess I'll try headers with the Flowmasters first and if it's too loud go back to the stock exhaust.

Thanks again for the info!

M
Mark Myles is offline   Reply With Quote