Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetic Maintenance: Washing, Waxing, Detailing, Bodywork, Protection

Old 09-11-2014, 03:20 PM   #1
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
Questions about cleaning my car and keeping it look nice (black camaro)

I recently bought a 2012 camaro used with 7,200 miles on it. And the paint looked good for the most part only a few small scratches.

I only ever take it through the carwash, at the end they have guys who scrub it down as well so it comes out looking clean. The only problem is in the morning-afternoon when the light is directly hitting my car you can see a few scratches, not like big white scratches but just ones in the paint. I'm not sure if that's just normal or I'm doing something wrong.

Other than that everyonce and awhile I will see a swirle on the paint, its not permanent but its annoying to look at, normally once I wash the car again its wrong. How can I avoid that?

I bought the paint protection plan from GM and got it put on about a month ago and it looked great, but I feel like it wore off already wtf?

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 03:25 PM   #2
pickwithaustin

Drives: 2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible and:
eek... Don't take your car to a "car wash."
2011 Camaro 2SS/RS Convertible | 1980 Corvette Stingray | 1981 Firebird | 1968 El Camino | 2007 Crown Vic Police Interceptor | 2001 Silverado | 2001 Blazer | 1965 Chevy C-10 | 2007 Harley Softail Custom | 2013 MX-5 in Copper Red Mica | 2000 Corvette Convertible | 2010 Corvette Grand Sport | 2006 Audi A3 Turbo | 2008 BMW 328i

pickwithaustin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2014, 04:06 PM   #3
DylanVK

Drives: a few
Oh man... where to start...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DreamDiesel420 View Post
I recently bought a 2012 camaro used with 7,200 miles on it. And the paint looked good for the most part only a few small scratches.
First congrats on the car... 7200 miles? Thing was barely broken in! Bet you got a good deal on a car thats practically new. Nice.

Quote:
I only ever take it through the carwash, at the end they have guys who scrub it down as well so it comes out looking clean.
Bad idea... car washes are going to use low quality towels and most times the guys are wiping multiple cars with the same towel. So that "scrubbing" they're doing on your car for you is putting in a ton of damage.

Quote:
The only problem is in the morning-afternoon when the light is directly hitting my car you can see a few scratches, not like big white scratches but just ones in the paint. I'm not sure if that's just normal or I'm doing something wrong.
What you are seeing is swirl marks... which are just very fine scratches caused by poor towels (car wash) and dust/dirt being rubbed into your paint (like at the car wash) either with dirty materials or touching the car when its not clean. You notice them in the AM b/c the sun is hitting them the right way, I promise you they are always there and visible if you look.

Have a look at this thread - I documented the swirls under intense light:

http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=376571

Quote:
Other than that everyonce and awhile I will see a swirle on the paint, its not permanent but its annoying to look at, normally once I wash the car again its wrong. How can I avoid that?
The swirls aren't going away, you just can see them better b/c of the lighthing at some times of day than you can at others.

Really, the only way to remove the swirls is to machine polish the car - and even then, once its fixed you need to dial in your wash process and STOP going to the car wash or you'll just swirl the paint up again.

Quote:
I bought the paint protection plan from GM and got it put on about a month ago and it looked great, but I feel like it wore off already wtf?
Protection plans don't cover swirls, at least none that I've ever seen. What that plan is really is an application of sealant by a lot porter before you take the car home.

Make sure you read the fine print, to keep the warranty coverage for bigger damage you have to go back regularly for fresh applications or they'll void the warranty.

Lots of guys will refer to paint protection programs as a scam - I'll let you make your own assessment of that.

1967 C/10 PROJECT TRUCK | DETAILING EXPERT | CRAFT BEER ENTHUSIAST
DylanVK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 01:33 PM   #4
Battlezone580

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE, 1969 Nova SS 396
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dylan@SCG View Post
Oh man... where to start...

First congrats on the car... 7200 miles? Thing was barely broken in! Bet you got a good deal on a car thats practically new. Nice.

Bad idea... car washes are going to use low quality towels and most times the guys are wiping multiple cars with the same towel. So that "scrubbing" they're doing on your car for you is putting in a ton of damage.

What you are seeing is swirl marks... which are just very fine scratches caused by poor towels (car wash) and dust/dirt being rubbed into your paint (like at the car wash) either with dirty materials or touching the car when its not clean. You notice them in the AM b/c the sun is hitting them the right way, I promise you they are always there and visible if you look.

Have a look at this thread - I documented the swirls under intense light:

The swirls aren't going away, you just can see them better b/c of the lighthing at some times of day than you can at others.

Really, the only way to remove the swirls is to machine polish the car - and even then, once its fixed you need to dial in your wash process and STOP going to the car wash or you'll just swirl the paint up again.

Protection plans don't cover swirls, at least none that I've ever seen. What that plan is really is an application of sealant by a lot porter before you take the car home.

Make sure you read the fine print, to keep the warranty coverage for bigger damage you have to go back regularly for fresh applications or they'll void the warranty.

Lots of guys will refer to paint protection programs as a scam - I'll let you make your own assessment of that.

Thanks for explaining all that Dylan that really helped me understand whats going on, and I'm never taking my car to a car wash again!

How much would it cost to get something like you did with the BMW done with my car? Because I bought the car used as well like the guy with the 7 series and the previous owner didn't take the best care of the paint. I noticed there was a few chips and what not (very small) and I've noticed about 3-4 swirl spots.

Also if a car wash is bad whats the best way to clean my car. I could detail my car and put my cover on every night to keep it from getting dust and what ever else it collects from being outside. I'm not sure but what are your opinion on car covers? Sadly my garage is full and I can't park in my garage.

Also do you guy's have anyone in the california area?

18 ZL1 1LE|M6|Nav|PDR|CF Hood|CF WING|CF Dash|Tow Hook|

Last edited by Battlezone580; 09-15-2014 at 01:50 PM.
Battlezone580 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 02:50 PM   #5
DylanVK

Just replied to your PM, but I'll reply here too for any onlookers who might want/need information.

Quote:
Thanks for explaining all that Dylan that really helped me understand whats going on, and I'm never taking my car to a car wash again!
My pleasure and good call on stopping the car wash if you want to keep your paint looking good.

Quote:
How much would it cost to get something like you did with the BMW done with my car? Because I bought the car used as well like the guy with the 7 series and the previous owner didn't take the best care of the paint. I noticed there was a few chips and what not (very small) and I've noticed about 3-4 swirl spots.
On the chips... not much you can do (detailing wise) for those. Look into the Dr. COlorchip or Langka systems for chip repair.

As far as cost... a job like this would run a bit less for a Camaro than it would for a car the size of the 7 series. My rate, for reference, is $55 p/hr and a 6 hour minimum.. so around $600. I doubt you'd find a reputable and skilled place to do a paint correction job for less than $350.

Quote:
Also if a car wash is bad whats the best way to clean my car. I could detail my car and put my cover on every night to keep it from getting dust and what ever else it collects from being outside. I'm not sure but what are your opinion on car covers? Sadly my garage is full and I can't park in my garage.
Wash it yourself using the 2 bucket method and quality supplies. You'll be able to eliminate or greatly reduce you damage introduced in cleaning.

Do not use a cover IMHO unless the car is being put away for an extended period of time. The dust and grit between a cover and your paint will cause swirls and its virtually impossible to have your car completely clean every single time you take a cover on or off if its used daily.

I'd suggest working on getting your garage cleared out enough to keep the car in there... that would be ideal. Until then you're pretty much better off just letting it get dirty and cleaning (properly) regularly than you would be putting a cover on.

Quote:
Also do you guy's have anyone in the california area?
Our offices are located in Huntington Beach, CA... but we don't offer detailing services. Just the products to do it yourself.

Old 09-15-2014, 02:55 PM   #6
bryaannnn6

On looker here. From so cal. Any washing towels/drying towels you recommend?
bryaannnn6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2014, 03:06 PM   #7
DylanVK

Quote:
Originally Posted by bryaannnn6 View Post
On looker here. From so cal. Any washing towels/drying towels you recommend?
Sure... have a look at this video:

Now in that video we use a foam cannon... its definitely a nice to have, but you can still do a perfectly safe wash just using a hose and buckets.

as far as 'whats needed' for a good wash:

2 buckets with grit guards:
http://surfcitygarage.com/scg-profes...ert-black.html

Quality pH neutral, high foaming car soap:
http://surfcitygarage.com/scg-profes...nced-wash.html

Quality wash pads/mits:
http://surfcitygarage.com/scg-profes...-wash-pad.html
http://surfcitygarage.com/scg-profes...wash-mitt.html

Drying towels:
http://surfcitygarage.com/scg-profes...ing-towel.html
http://surfcitygarage.com/scg-profes...ing-towel.html

Drying agent:
http://surfcitygarage.com/scg-profes...ail-spray.html

Or you can just grab everything in one kit:
Deluxe Pro Wash Kit

Ultimate Pro Wash Kit

Old 09-16-2014, 07:03 PM   #8
Chevy Fanatic

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS IOM/PEARL STRIPES-6M
[QUOTE= My rate, for reference, is $55 p/hr and a 6 hour minimum.. so around $600.[/QUOTE]

Dylan,
Is this $55.00 per 1/2 hour?
Whipple S/C, 3.750 pulley, JRE rough idle blower cam kit, Trunion upgrade, C5R timing chain, LS2 chain dampner, Melling 10296, Dynatech 1 7/8 LT headers, OR pipes, Dual valve RX catch can, ID 850 Injectors, LPE Dual fuel pump, CAI with Apex scoop, VMax ported T/B, ADM Tune 675 RWHP 560 TQ
Chevy Fanatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2014, 10:31 AM   #9
DylanVK

No $55 per hour - I was referencing the $600 total b/c he specifically asked about the BMW I posted, which was a 12 hour job.

Quote: