Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

TireRack
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 08-06-2016, 12:10 PM   #1
Camaro 79

Drives: 2018 Camaro SS
Body panel warping?

Does anyone have any experience with their body panels warping/bending?

The first 4 pictures below are of the passenger front quarter panel, around the wheel. The body molding is bent, creating a noticeable space and imperfection. There have not been any impacts or dents from an outside source underneath, below, or on the outside. You can see the bend is more towards the bottom.

The last 3 pictures are from the driver's side which has no issues.

Edit: Excuse the dirtiness, it will be washed tomorrow! Also, I don't know how to make the pictures smaller, but it makes it easier to see the issue.
Attached Images

Camaro 79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 12:48 PM   #2
Sboodanian

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I have a 2014 and the same gaps are on my car. Even where the door meets the fender is out of alignment on the passenger side.
Attached Images

Sboodanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 01:01 PM   #3
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
It was recently on a lift with the arm too far forward
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 02:11 PM   #4
Camaro 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sboodanian View Post
I have a 2014 and the same gaps are on my car. Even where the door meets the fender is out of alignment on the passenger side.

Did you fix it or just learn to ignore it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
It was recently on a lift with the arm too far forward
Can you explain how it happened and how it can be fixed?
Old 08-06-2016, 02:42 PM   #5
Sboodanian

Drives: 2014 Camaro SS
I bought the car used with less than 12000 miles on it about a month ago and it had the issues. The only thing that bothers me is door alignment which I may get fixed some day. For the time being I'm okay with it.
Sboodanian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 04:00 PM   #6
JerTM

Drives: 2011 2SS/RS M6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Camaro 79 View Post
Did you fix it or just learn to ignore it?

Can you explain how it happened and how it can be fixed?
Your car was on an automotive lift when the damage was done. The front arm of the lift was positioned too far forward on the car, probably right next to the wheel well. When the car was lifted it put the cars weight on the fender area instead of a structural point. Maybe a bodyshop could fix it.
JerTM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2016, 06:04 PM   #7
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
The long one piece rocker panels below the door on the Camaro are thin plastic covers that hide the steel uni-body frame. The plastic does often warp on its own. The forward end of the rocker panel is held partly in place by two screws that are easy to see inside the wheel well ... they go through the plastic wheel well liner. There are lots of fragile plastic clips along the entire perimeter of the rocker panels that fit in to metal slots.

Did you try loosening the two screws (torx) at the lower edge of the front wheel well liner and push the plastic rocker panel in and tighten them back up? That may help the end near the front wheels align better.
Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2016, 07:27 AM   #8
Camaro 79

Quote:
Originally Posted by JerTM View Post
Your car was on an automotive lift when the damage was done. The front arm of the lift was positioned too far forward on the car, probably right next to the wheel well. When the car was lifted it put the cars weight on the fender area instead of a structural point. Maybe a bodyshop could fix it.
Damn, that's a bummer. I appreciate the insight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
The long one piece rocker panels below the door on the Camaro are thin plastic covers that hide the steel uni-body frame. The plastic does often warp on its own. The forward end of the rocker panel is held partly in place by two screws that are easy to see inside the wheel well ... they go through the plastic wheel well liner. There are lots of fragile plastic clips along the entire perimeter of the rocker panels that fit in to metal slots.

Did you try loosening the two screws (torx) at the lower edge of the front wheel well liner and push the plastic rocker panel in and tighten them back up? That may help the end near the front wheels align better.
Ron
I will give that a shot for sure. Thanks!
Old 08-08-2016, 09:10 AM   #9
rontammy0
Account Suspended

Drives: 2011 2SS/ RS INFERNO ORANGE L99
The lift as said is cause for concern on theses cars. I did my brakes a few weeks ago and had a bitch if a time making sure the lift arm didn't come in contact with the car. I ended up using wooden blocks to prevent it. ...real pain the butt and very easy to not notice if your not paying attention .
rontammy0 is offline   Reply With Quote