Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Roto-Fab
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro 1LE Forum

Old 03-17-2016, 03:30 PM   #1
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Drives: 2013 Black 2SS RS 1LE
Clacking Rear Axle

I’ve posted on here somewhere before about the rear axle of my 1LE making loud popping noises and clunking noise like the whole thing is loose or has a lot of play in it. I looked around for that but didn’t find it so here’s an update on that happening.

I ended up speaking with Chevrolet Customer Care about a different issue on this form and asked them for their help with this rear axle noise. I’ve been to the dealer on two different occasions for this same issue. To Chevrolet Customer Care, they are playing the go between, and seem to be keeping things moving pretty well.

To summarize the issue: When I would let off the gas from moderate to heavy acceleration a loud popping noise would come from the rear axle. Imagine a noise like someone just wacked the axle housing with a brass hammer with most of their strength. At this point the car had about 32,200 miles on it. I changed the rear axle fluid for the second time and sent it to Blackstone Labs right away. This oil only had 4,200 miles on it and was the stock (Mobile1 75W/90W) fluid with the friction modifier added to it. I refilled the axle with the same stuff during this fluid change as well. The lab came back and said the oil “…show typical wear for a GM differential after 28,000 miles on the oil.” (Oil Report 5_18_15) So I took my lab report to the dealer and they took the car in and had the shop foreman drive the car. They called me and said he never even left the parking lot and could tell there was a problem. I was told the cause was a loose mounting bolt and all they did was tighten it up. I wasn’t thrilled with this answer and expressed my lack of happiness with this “resolution”. My service writer told me that GM doesn’t care about my 3rd party lab report and that he had no intention of even presenting it to them. Given that I knew nothing more would be done so I picked it up and drove on.

Fast forward a couple months and the noises are back. I bought it into the dealership again. My mistake is, I didn’t drop it off/log it in. I spoke with the shop foreman and he looked at it and said he thought he knew what it was and asked if I could hang out a min while he took care of it. I did, so he did his thing. He brings the car around and tells me he tightened up the castle nuts on the output shafts and that’s it.

Since I was conversing with Chevrolet Customer Care I brought this up with them and they said they would help with the issue the best they can. So the car goes back to the dealership again. This time however it’s not making noise since they just took all the slack out of the system by tightening up those nuts. The plan was to deal with several other smaller issues and take another oil sample, at my request, and see if the axle is still eating itself. They called me and I went straight down there and together we got a sample from the axle and I overnighted it to Blackstone labs for them to look it over. Results come back the very next day. Things are getting much worse. (Oil Report 02_15_16) The numbers are pretty clear this is not a happy axle.

During the time I’ve been trying to type this, between doing things, I got an email from the dealer saying the Zone Manager would be into the dealership sometime “…in the next few weeks..” to look at the lab report and talk to the dealership before coming to a decision on what the next move should be, if any. Then…I get this from Chevrolet Customer Care.

“Hello Karl,

I did hear from the Customer Experience Manager, James, with regards to an action plan. He reiterated that as they do not show any issues with the rear axle, there is nothing that can be done until they have a reason to schedule any repairs. He did confirm that they will not recognize any findings from any 3rd party/lab. I understand this is not the resolution you were hoping for, however, the dealer is standing firm with their statement. At this time, although I cannot guarantee a different outcome, I can suggest contacting an alternate dealership for a 2nd opinion. Please let me know if this is something you would like to do.

Kindly,”

It sounds to me like they need to come together on their stories. I forwarded the dealership’s email to Chevrolet Customer Care and now they seem to be trying to figure out what gives too.

I’m wondering what you all think about this.
Attached Images
File Type: pdf 13 CAMARO-RD-031516.pdf (18.0 KB, 76 views)
File Type: pdf 13 CAMARO-RD-05_18_15_Rear Diff.pdf (17.3 KB, 71 views)

Last edited by krazzyk01; 03-17-2016 at 04:28 PM.
krazzyk01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 03:58 PM   #2
Night trained

Drives: 2015 camaro 2ss 1LE
What a long story. So the noise is gone right? But you don't like what the third party is saying about your fluid analysis right.
Night trained is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2016, 04:22 PM   #3
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Night trained View Post
What a long story. So the noise is gone right? But you don't like what the third party is saying about your fluid analysis right.
Sorry about the length but that's the short version.

Yes, the noise has been "fixed" twice. And, twice the oil reports have come back showing the axle is eating itself.

Would you be happy with that? Two repairs for the same thing in less than a year.
Old 03-18-2016, 05:18 AM   #4
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

I'm surprised. 121 people have looked at this and only one person has had anything to say about it? Has no one else had any axle issues with their cars?
Old 03-18-2016, 07:11 AM   #5
ron123

Drives: 2014 2SS/RS
Your remaining concern is the oil analysis?
How much iron/oil sludge deposits are you finding on the magnetic drain and fill plugs?
They are simple to remove without even jacking up the car using an empty rachet wrench.
Iron in the oil is expected in a big way by Chevy, that is why the factory puts TWO magnetic drain and fill plugs in.
I had a thick layer on both plugs when I changed the differential fluid when the car was new at 2,000 miles.
You could try sending a sample in to another analysis company for a second opinion - maybe oil analysis results are normal for Camaro SS differential with positraction?

My manual Camaro SS banged and clanked from day one whenever I loaded or unloaded the drivetrain. There are HUGE Giubo rubber pucks on each end of the driveshaft that absorb energy like a rubberband and then can suddenly release that energy and cause clanking. With high HP it helps protect parts from snapping. Even when mine was new from the factory, at times it makes an amazing/alarming amount of noise in the drivetrain.
With very careful shifting and watching RPM I can sometimes get it to be quite, almost like stealth, ha ha.
Here is a pic:

Ron
2014 2SS/RS, Z28 CAI and High Wing Spoiler, ZL1 5.1:1 Ratio Short-Throw Shifter, ZL1 Pedals, ZL1 splash guards, NPP Dual-mode quad tip exhaust, Z28 strut tower brace, Camaro LED Cup-holders with footwell Lighting option, Leather visors, and Leather E-brake boot. Chevy dealer sponsored 67 retro SS nose stripe package.

Last edited by ron123; 03-18-2016 at 07:24 AM.
ron123 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2016, 10:45 AM   #6
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ron123 View Post
Your remaining concern is the oil analysis?
How much iron/oil sludge deposits are you finding on the magnetic drain and fill plugs?
They are simple to remove without even jacking up the car using an empty rachet wrench.
Iron in the oil is expected in a big way by Chevy, that is why the factory puts TWO magnetic drain and fill plugs in.
I had a thick layer on both plugs when I changed the differential fluid when the car was new at 2,000 miles.
You could try sending a sample in to another analysis company for a second opinion - maybe oil analysis results are normal for Camaro SS differential with positraction?

My manual Camaro SS banged and clanked from day one whenever I loaded or unloaded the drivetrain. There are HUGE Giubo rubber pucks on each end of the driveshaft that absorb energy like a rubberband and then can suddenly release that energy and cause clanking. With high HP it helps protect parts from snapping. Even when mine was new from the factory, at times it makes an amazing/alarming amount of noise in the drivetrain.
With very careful shifting and watching RPM I can sometimes get it to be quite, almost like stealth, ha ha.
Here is a pic:

Ron

My remaining concern is twofold. One, the same problem has caused this car to go to the dealership twice now. The same action was done both times. It didn’t last the first time. Why would it a second? It seems to be more of a limp it along until the warranty runs out.

My OP must not have been clear. I’ve changed this oil twice myself. The first oil sample I took myself during the second oil change at around 32,200 miles and the second sample was just pulled by the dealership.

The two times I drained the fluid myself the plugs were both heavily covered with junk. I’ll have to dig for the pictures I took of them. The clump of junk on the end stuck off the end of the plug at least ¾” if not more. I’ve worked on cars my entire life, was a tech at a Chevy dealership back in the 90’s. I’ve never seen that much junk unless there was an issue with the axle.

Regarding Blackstone Labs. They’ve been around for a while. I send all my oils to them and have done for some time. There are many people on this forum that use their services. I’m not concerned with the quality of their work. Besides, the dealership, and apparently GM, don’t want to be shown that information and will not take it into consideration at all. I’ve now been told this multiple times from both parties.
Old 03-18-2016, 12:09 PM   #7
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
My "drivetrain" was noisy when the car was new but not so much loud clunks as chatter and gear sounding noise. See my other posts on what was done. Basically I took it to the dealer and they replaced some bearings and sleeves in the rear under warranty and said it had too much "play". This helped cut down the noise. Do you track your car often? You may be overheating the diff? See Dropspeed's issues on this and the "fix". Basically if I could afford it, I would get the Z/28 diff cooler myself since I track my car.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:53 PM   #8
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

I've done two different drivers education events. Nothing that puts you on the track for very long periods at a time.

I'm getting the feeling this is a dealer issue not a GM issue. I've given them low marks in the past and that's likely the reason for the lack of action. Sad thing is, this is my 3rd vehicle from them in 5 years. Sad.
Old 03-21-2016, 10:22 AM   #9
markgws6

Drives: 2019 Chevy Equinox Premier AWD
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzyk01 View Post
I've done two different drivers education events. Nothing that puts you on the track for very long periods at a time.

I'm getting the feeling this is a dealer issue not a GM issue. I've given them low marks in the past and that's likely the reason for the lack of action. Sad thing is, this is my 3rd vehicle from them in 5 years. Sad.
Take it elsewhere. When my car had noises I told the guys at the service department -I'm going to be using this car on a race track, it had better work correctly! The tech knew exactly what my 1LE was and that it was made to go around tracks with corners. He assured me that he's made repairs to countless other SS Camaros and Corvettes and that my car would be ready for it. I remember he said he appreciated "guys" who can take their car or truck to the limit and not just cruise around the streets with them, since these kinds of vehicles were made to do so much more...
Old 03-22-2016, 07:50 AM   #10
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

Quote:
Originally Posted by markgws6 View Post
Take it elsewhere. When my car had noises I told the guys at the service department -I'm going to be using this car on a race track, it had better work correctly! The tech knew exactly what my 1LE was and that it was made to go around tracks with corners. He assured me that he's made repairs to countless other SS Camaros and Corvettes and that my car would be ready for it. I remember he said he appreciated "guys" who can take their car or truck to the limit and not just cruise around the streets with them, since these kinds of vehicles were made to do so much more...

I most definitely will be going somewhere else from now on. I picked up my car yesterday. I was so mad I had to leave. When I bought this car new from them I told them not to do anything to it. Don't wash it, don't take any trash out of it, nothing, DO NOTHING.

I'm at a loss. My car looks like they washed it with sandpaper! From one end to the other it's covered like I've taking it through a carwash every day since new. I'm so pissed I'm physically ill. It will take me at least a full day to unf#ck what they did. They clearly did this on purpose since I have NEVER had them wash my car. It's not their standard process to wash them after a visit to service. They have always asked every person if they want their car washed when they pick it up. I'm sick. Just sick. I had waxed my car the week I took it in and when I power washed it to see everything, the water didn't bead at all! It's like they stripped every bit of wax off the car! I can't wait for the customer service survey to show up. The pictures below are from before I power washed the car. This is how they gave it back to me.

:mad0 260:

They have accomplished their mission. I will never go there again and I will have NOTHING good to say about them again.
Old 03-22-2016, 10:32 AM   #11
Ragnar
Destroyed by flooding

Drives: Wife's car
That is pathetic. What a sorry a$$ excuse of a dealer. Your anger is felt here!
Old 03-22-2016, 10:55 AM   #12
gajagfan

Drives: 2013 1SS 1LE Black - Std Exhaust
Quote:
Originally Posted by krazzyk01 View Post
I most definitely will be going somewhere else from now on. I picked up my car yesterday. I was so mad I had to leave. When I bought this car new from them I told them not to do anything to it. Don't wash it, don't take any trash out of it, nothing, DO NOTHING.

I'm at a loss. My car looks like they washed it with sandpaper! From one end to the other it's covered like I've taking it through a carwash every day since new. I'm so pissed I'm physically ill. It will take me at least a full day to unf#ck what they did. They clearly did this on purpose since I have NEVER had them wash my car. It's not their standard process to wash them after a visit to service. They have always asked every person if they want their car washed when they pick it up. I'm sick. Just sick. I had waxed my car the week I took it in and when I power washed it to see everything, the water didn't bead at all! It's like they stripped every bit of wax off the car! I can't wait for the customer service survey to show up. The pictures below are from before I power washed the car. This is how they gave it back to me.

:mad0 260:

They have accomplished their mission. I will never go there again and I will have NOTHING good to say about them again.
I am not a guy that frets to a large degree about the cars finish com[pared to many here, and I say that with no disrespect. I use a single bucket and products I can buy at the local auto parts store, and accept a fee wash from the dealer when it is offered. When you look at our black car, it is not perfect, and I am sure would not be acceptable to many here. That doing said, I can not imagine my feelings if what happened to you happened to me. I believe that had to have been done intentionally. I hate that this has happened to you, and the dealer should hold some responsibility.
gajagfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 11:45 AM   #13
krazzyk01
Liv'n The Dream!

I passed all those pictures along to Chevrolet customer service. They came back and said that they would file a formal complaint if I would like it. I most assuredly would like that and let them know that. Thank you for all your support here it's good to know that I'm not alone thinking that this is disgusting.
Old 03-22-2016, 07:32 PM   #14
Mark T
American Gold Whisperer

Drives: 2014 White 1LE 2SS/RS/NPP/Rec/Nav
This is an exact example of why the franchise dealer/service model needs to go the way of the wagon wheel. It is a full detriment to the brand/customer experience and Chevy needs to recognise this before it pushes away more customers.