Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

dave@hennessey
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 09-21-2010, 07:57 AM   #15
garfin
Resident Disciple

Drives: 2010 CTS-V 6MN '98 Camaro SS (Sold)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragoneye View Post
This is a pretty good example of the difference in sound. Just keep in mind, from the factory -- you can't control it like this. It only activates above 3000 rpm.
Thanks for the reminder that this feature is not controllable, Joe. I spent some time in a new Corvette Grand Sport last month running it around Black Lake at Milford. This car had the dual mode exhaust and as great as it sounds when it's open in the upper RPM range, I did not like the continual "open & closing, open & closing" aspect of this option. The change in exhaust tone and volume is huge and if I can't control that, then I don't like it so much... to the point where it was getting on my nerves. I love a loud exhaust, but the change back and forth is what bothers me. I would not order this feature on a car.
I have a simple cutout on my 4th gen SS and I guess I'm used to having a consistent (either quieter or louder) exhaust note that I can change as I see fit.
A far less costly alternative to the dual mode system from the factory would seem to be the installation of an electric cutout that can be controlled by the driver from the cockpit.
Just my $0.02.

Best regardSS,

Elie
Old 09-21-2010, 09:14 AM   #16
nick at night

Drives: 2003 silverado
Well if it isn't controllable from the factory, How does the guy in the video control his? I mean, it can't be that hard right? I think it would be sweet to be able to have two exhaust systems, one for performance and sound and one for smooth quite driving....
nick at night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #17
KKreme15

Drives: C6 Z06
He modded
KKreme15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 09:31 AM   #18
nick at night

Drives: 2003 silverado
Thanks............................................ .........
nick at night is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2010, 07:38 PM   #19
Mr. Wyndham
I used to be Dragoneye...

Drives: 2018 ZL1 1LE
Send a message via AIM to Mr. Wyndham
Quote:
Originally Posted by garfin View Post
Thanks for the reminder that this feature is not controllable, Joe. I spent some time in a new Corvette Grand Sport last month running it around Black Lake at Milford. This car had the dual mode exhaust and as great as it sounds when it's open in the upper RPM range, I did not like the continual "open & closing, open & closing" aspect of this option. The change in exhaust tone and volume is huge and if I can't control that, then I don't like it so much... to the point where it was getting on my nerves. I love a loud exhaust, but the change back and forth is what bothers me. I would not order this feature on a car.
I have a simple cutout on my 4th gen SS and I guess I'm used to having a consistent (either quieter or louder) exhaust note that I can change as I see fit.
A far less costly alternative to the dual mode system from the factory would seem to be the installation of an electric cutout that can be controlled by the driver from the cockpit.
Just my $0.02.

Best regardSS,

Elie
I've never experienced it. But I imagine you're right. I, and this is personal preference now, think cutouts sound a little 'dirty'. I'd prefer something like the dual mode, with the modification required to control it.

That said...this is basically a vacuum-actuated "muffler delete" from the factory. ~$120 says I can get all that, all the time for MUCH less.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nick at night View Post
Well if it isn't controllable from the factory, How does the guy in the video control his? I mean, it can't be that hard right? I think it would be sweet to be able to have two exhaust systems, one for performance and sound and one for smooth quite driving....
It's a modification called "Mild to Wild". It's really hot among the Corvette drivers with the NPP exhaust option.

http://www.southerncarparts.com/corv...tch-p-231.html
Old 06-07-2013, 08:15 PM   #20
Snidely Whiplash
Fight Crime, Drive Armed

Drives: '14 2SS Yelo Maro, HD collection
All the cars I've built were quiet until the throttle opened wide. Stealth is my bag.
Old 06-07-2013, 08:24 PM   #21
DRTH VDR

Drives: 2012 triple black ZL-1 #799
...and we did CPR to this tired, old thread for what?
DRTH VDR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2013, 09:15 PM   #22
Firefighter

Drives: Black '13 2SS/RS/1LE w/NPP/NAV
Holy WOW! lol
Firefighter is offline   Reply With Quote