Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Members Area > Past Camaro Fests > 2012 Camaro5 Fest (III)

Old 08-06-2012, 12:51 PM   #43
Infern0
Bring It

Drives: In Between
There will definitely be several smaller groups to manage the accordion/caterpillar effect of the ebbs and flows of traffic. At one point I heard a mile marker come to the front indicating we were more than 4 miles long. I can't imagine how bad the gaps and recovery speeds would have been at that point, which does add significant yet unnecessary risk. Definitely one of the many lessons learned.

2017 Camaro ZL1 M6 - Everything but the sunroof - Sold

2010 Camaro SS - 650RWHP Daily Driver - Traded
Infern0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 12:55 PM   #44
Angella
~Living the Dream~

Drives: 11 2SSRS Vert, 11 CBR250
There is a lot I can say about the caravan. First of all there care way too many negative opinions about the accident. Those involved are devastated enough they don't need you calling them bad drivers. We call had close calls, I myself had one, this could have happened to anyone whether they were in a caravan or not. Additionally those complaining about those jumping out of the line.... well if I hadn't jumped out of the caravan I would have been one of those involved with the accident. As far as the speeding involved. No one made you jump on the accelerator and speed. I did find myself doing 80 to 90 MPH but honestly I drive like that normally so being apart of the caravan and speeding was nothing out of the ordinary for me. I'm sorry if I made any feel like I cut them off but as much as I jumped out of the line I tried to ease back in to prevent any problems. I felt the caravan went great despite the close calls but it was to be expected. Thanks ernie! I had an amazing time! I can't wait til next year!!!!
Old 08-06-2012, 01:41 PM   #45
BAD DAB

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS Black & Silver
I was in the Mid-atlantic cruise from Dayton to Indy about 15 or 20 cars from the front and speeds did not exceed dangerous limits. I agree there are some things that can be learned from the unfortunate accident but I think Ernie did a great job.

STAINLESS WORKS HEADERS-TUNED BY JANNETTY RACING-C.A.I. INTAKE-TAYLOR 409 WIRES-SOLO AXLE BACK EXHAUST-ELITE CATCH CAN
BAD DAB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 03:27 PM   #46
2010CamaroRS
Driver of the Blue Demon

Drives: '15 Jeep Grand Cherokee Limited
i blame truck drivers....simple as that...they dont know when to move over out that way....or in Ohio...or in PA...or in NY or in CT...my entire trip to and from was just battling truck drivers....pricks lol

The Few, The Proud, The Hyper Blue Metallics

DT shorties.BBK Intake.FlowMaster AT.Eibach 1'' drop.Hurst Short Throw (44% reduction).Unrestricted Motorsports Gen 1 Style Rear Spoiler.Custom Aqua Blue Metallic Interior Panels.RS Embroidered Head Rests.Interior LED by Oracle.Illuminated Bowtie by Oracle.Footwell LED by Oracle.Grille LED by Oracle.Functional Headliner Console Toggle Switches for LED Lighting.Aqua Blue Engine Cover.RotoFab Radiator Cover.Aqua Blue Fuse Box Cover from RPI Designs.Much More
2010CamaroRS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 04:22 PM   #47
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
A big part of it was that 70 between Columbus and Indy is a heavily traveled truck route and it needs to be widened. It's just too full of semis. The construction just made it worse.

I didn't mean to be critical with my comments. I just wanted the leaders to know what I observed from the back of the caravan. I appreciate that they organized the caravan and I was happy to participate. I also knew enough to just not try to keep up when things were moving too fast.

I was in a caravan of about 30 Camaros last summer that went the exact same route to Indy and we had zero issues and it was great fun. That's why I wanted to go with the group this year. I thank you for including me.

I feel very bad for the group involved in the accident. I hope everyone involved is ok and that the cars are repaired/replaced quickly.

Don't let this discourage you from group caravans in better driving conditions.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 06:42 PM   #48
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Thanks everyone for the words of support.

Most of what everyone is saying is correct. The next time I pull together a caravan of this size I believe it will be grouped into multiple groups of 15 to 20 max departing 5 minutes apart. The walkie talkies were in constant use to update me of the conditions in the back. We attempted to help pull others together by speeding up/slowing down in 2 mph increments, but we just could not close the rear. Not to mention, the highway went down to two lanes, and truckers and others had nowhere to pass when we were grouped to their left.

What worked best was bringing the caravan up to speed limit the last 1.5 hours of the cruze to Dayton. It broke the Caravan into smaller groups based on driving comfort and location in the pack. That was what we needed, smaller groups.

Thanks for the feedback. It will help us in the future as we come together again.
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:04 PM   #49
JLS3rd

Drives: 2012 BLACK SS
I was pull over with 3 other Camaro's by ISP on the Dayton to Indy caravan and the LEO said to me that many complaints on the group of cars. I was told that I was over the posted speed of 55, but I seen LEO way before he Blue lighted the Camaro behind me. Other public vehicles were moving at the same flow of traffic, but only Camaro's were target. I'm not upset with the LEO he was doing his job, I'm upset with the process that ONLY one Make/Model was pulled over and not other public vehicles traveling at the same rate of speed.
JLS3rd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 08:58 PM   #50
RaayRaay

Drives: 2LT CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 73camarolt View Post
First off I have to agree, the cruises and caravans were pretty crazy. I believe the mid Atlantic cruise from Dayton to Indy was the worst. We ended up leaving the pack. It was just to much. Now as far as the accident, not sure how you ment the age thing but I believe him being young has nothing to do with it. I'm 17 and I wasnt involved in any accident. I did have some close calls but almost everyone I've talked had close calls. And no the driver was not texting, I know that for a fact.
Quote:
Originally Posted by aSSian View Post
Well to be fair, the first 3 cars were stopped with no collision. It was the 4th car that caused the others to get pushed forward.
Quote:
Originally Posted by dorfmac View Post
Yeah - exactly my point. You dont have to be young and texting to get into an accident. Even when you pay as close attention as possible you can end up in a sketchy predicament. I had two experiences that terrified me between Hagerstown and Dayton and I knew I didn't want to risk it the next day when the group was even larger.
Well for the blue car that started the crash to end up underneath the TRANS4MR, he wasn't paying much attention thats for sure, especially when everyone else managed to stop.
RaayRaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:01 PM   #51
RaayRaay

Drives: 2LT CGM
Quote:
Originally Posted by 2010CamaroRS View Post
i blame truck drivers....simple as that...they dont know when to move over out that way....or in Ohio...or in PA...or in NY or in CT...my entire trip to and from was just battling truck drivers....pricks lol
I completely agree... they think they own the road
RaayRaay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:47 PM   #52
SilverIceman

Drives: Camaro SS SIM
And you know those same "born again" truckers that wouldn't get over for you are the ones that most likely radioed the Indiana police. I have never enjoyed traveling on I-70 because of the trucks. Just look how bad the pavements were, trucks do most of the damage.

SilverIceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:48 PM   #53
pikSkip

Drives: '69 VET, '70 Z28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JLS3rd View Post
I was pull over with 3 other Camaro's by ISP on the Dayton to Indy caravan and the LEO said to me that many complaints on the group of cars. I was told that I was over the posted speed of 55, but I seen LEO way before he Blue lighted the Camaro behind me. Other public vehicles were moving at the same flow of traffic, but only Camaro's were target. I'm not upset with the LEO he was doing his job, I'm upset with the process that ONLY one Make/Model was pulled over and not other public vehicles traveling at the same rate of speed.
With all due respect, if that was not 'show force', I'd like the procedure clarified!
pikSkip is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:50 PM   #54
SilverIceman

Drives: Camaro SS SIM
They had a whole bunch of speed traps set up on 70 through Indianapolis on Sunday as I drove home. (both directions)

SilverIceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 09:57 PM   #55
edog

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS IOM
Did anyone actually get charged with speeding? I talked to two others that were minor like improper lane changes. To me that is show of force. They should have pulled over the lead vehicle. I would have stopped! I waived at the lady officer, but she would not even look at me. All I could say was "well I never" Rude!
Update...Build in process, Forged Rods, Pistons and rings, Johnson Lifters, NOVI1500 ECS SC, 13lb boost or more, LS3 Conversion 114/228/241 COMP CAM, Frostbite 4 row Aluminum radiator, 6L80 built, Circle D 6L80 PRO SERIES MULTI 258MM 2D, Stock 3.45 gears, 1-7/8 American Racing Headers w/HF cat, X-Pipe, Lingenfelter dual fuel pump, E-85 flex sensor, ATI super damper pulley, Ported TB, 160 therm, Trans cooler, Pedder's sways/end links/sub frame bushings, BMR trailing arms & toe rods, Coil overs. HP/TQ pending
edog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2012, 11:01 PM   #56
Darth_Emma
Psssssssssshhhhhhhhhhhhh!

Drives: under contruction
Quote:
Originally Posted by SilverIceman View Post
And you know those same "born again" truckers that wouldn't get over for you are the ones that most likely radioed the Indiana police. I have never enjoyed traveling on I-70 because of the trucks. Just look how bad the pavements were, trucks do most of the damage.
I don't disagree, but they will tell you, and correctly so, that they pay HUGE taxes to drive on those roads. That road is in serious need of a widening project.

Rt. 71 between Cleveland and Columbus used to be the same way and the traffic conditions were vastly improved when they widened it.
Darth_Emma is offline   Reply With Quote