Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 06-09-2011, 09:13 PM   #1
Stray800

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Newb - Halo question

Hey gang - I'm a newb here but have been lurking a bit.

Just purchased a 2011 Camaro 1LS and is being shipped to me and was wondering - I love the halo kits I've seen on some of the cars on here...is that something that can be added to all 2011 camaros or just specific to certain models?

Also is this difficult to get a local installer to put in (depending on the law)?
Stray800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #2
Bluestreak 2010

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro LS
If you are talking about the AAC halo kits, they can be added to all 5th Generation Camaros.

I also have an LS, and am getting the OEM RS headlights (which for non-RS cars also requires a wiring harness you can get from Ottobody) and having these color changing halos installed by Showstopper: http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147129.

As far as I know, you shouldn't have a problem getting a local installer to help you out, but should look into local laws about which color lights you can have on the front of your vehicle. In most states red, blue and sometimes green are illegal to drive with. That's why I am going with the SJM halo kit, it always turns on white, but can be swithced to any color and even a strobe function for shows.
Bluestreak 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:37 PM   #3
Stray800

Drives: 2011 Camaro
Awesome - that answers my question perfectly.

Been a while since I've been into modding so I'm sure I'll have 1000 questions from here on out... Thanks again.
Stray800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 09:48 PM   #4
Sir Nuke
Master of All Things

Drives: '20 Corvette Stingray
Stray800, Bluestreak gave you the best answer.....oh and CONGRATS on the new car and Welcome to our happy little corner of the net, and to Camaro5. There is a BIG fridge on the back porch with anything you can think of in it...help yourself...of course only take what you can LEGALLY have. Make yourself at home on one of the big fluffy couches, kick your shoes off, put your feet up on one of the tables, yes we are allowed to do that, mom's and wive's here don't care....and take it easy.

oh...btw....every once in a while a food fight breaks out...so you may not want to wear nice clothes here.

Welcome!!
Old 06-09-2011, 10:35 PM   #5
The Stig
knows 2 facts about ducks

Drives: ...and they're both wrong
The other option you can go with are eagle eye halos. They are an aftermarket headlight that has a smaller halo than the OEM one. Then the other other option is to purchase a set of RS headlights (downside is that they run about $800 each :( )

I would check the Oracle Lighting website to find a local installer, as some areas have less than others. I know for the DC area there are only 2 shops (though I ended up doing the install myself anyway).
Old 06-09-2011, 11:03 PM   #6
ihaveacamaro
I like teeth.

Drives: #198
To answer your question, all RS cars come standard with Halos.

But never fear, aftermarket companies make better halos (imo). Try AAC. Some also like Eagle Eyes as said above.

Welcome to the forum!
ihaveacamaro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-09-2011, 11:11 PM   #7
CruznSS

Drives: 2SS/RS Camaro ABM - Silver Ralleys
1st off, welcome. I agree with double checking what's allowed for your state. I have AAC blue halo behind my td halo. I can only turn on the blue at car shows, and parking lots. Post pics after install...

Sent from my PC36100 using Tapatalk
Old 06-10-2011, 10:58 AM   #8
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
Actually there is another option besides Eagle Eyes or RS headlights.

Do a HID projector retrofit with a set of AAC halos.
http://www.camaro5.com/forums/showthread.php?t=147580
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 06:37 AM   #9
tterb0331
Chuck Thunder

Drives: 2011 2SS
I don't want to make a new topic, so I'm going to throw my questions in here.

I'll be back in America in a couple days, while I was on "business" I ordered AAC Dual color halos and halo fog lights for my SS. My buddy was going to install them for me but he said he had to put the headlights in the oven to open them up, and cutting of the bumper is required for the fog lights... Is this true or is my buddy completely mistaken? He isn't going to touch anything cause he doesn't want to mess anything up without my presence.

If this is true, is this a hard process? I personally haven't seen them yet so I have no clue.
Solo Performance High Flow Cats
Flowmaster AT Catbacks
QTP Electric Cutouts
AAC Dual Color Halos, Halo Foglights (awaiting install)
tterb0331 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2011, 08:29 AM   #10
Bluestreak 2010

Drives: IBM 2010 Camaro LS
Quote:
Originally Posted by tterb0331 View Post
I don't want to make a new topic, so I'm going to throw my questions in here.

I'll be back in America in a couple days, while I was on "business" I ordered AAC Dual color halos and halo fog lights for my SS. My buddy was going to install them for me but he said he had to put the headlights in the oven to open them up, and cutting of the bumper is required for the fog lights... Is this true or is my buddy completely mistaken? He isn't going to touch anything cause he doesn't want to mess anything up without my presence.

If this is true, is this a hard process? I personally haven't seen them yet so I have no clue.
He will need to put the headlights in the oven to loosen the seal, making it easier to open the housing. If I remember correctly, the directions AAC provides in their video suggest a temp of 250 which won't harm the headlights.

As far as cutting the bumper for the fog lights, I haven't heard this before. If you had an LS you would need to cut out a circular hole in the plastic insert where the fog lights are on the LT's and SS's, but this is not the bumbper itself. Perhaps someone who has actually done the install themselves can provide more information on this?
Bluestreak 2010 is offline   Reply With Quote