Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Chevy Camaro vs...

Old 08-20-2014, 06:55 PM   #15
KarFan

Drives: 2023 SGM Camaro 2SS 1LE 6M
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post

It is?!?!
Have you seen one on the auto-x yet?! I haven't seen any videos of it doing the auto-x.
Look no further than the article from Motor Trend posed at the top of this thread. It's not surprising that a 4400 lb Challenger with 700hp is .7 seconds behind the ZL1 in the figure eight. Which is oddly enough a larger gap in time that the 1/4 mile runs between them.

But I digress the HellCat is more than a one trick, straight line, pony. It's probably a very good drifting car too...
KarFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 08:42 PM   #16
LOWDOWN
Downright Upright

Drives: Daily
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
HellCat is more of a one trick pony than the GT500.
Actually, someone here coined the phrase ONE-TRICK CLYDESDALE. That seems apropos...

Of course GM DID fully unwrap THIS today: Behold the LT4, with the same torque as the Hellcat. Stuffed in a sub-4000 lb. Gen-6 ZL1, I'd say all we'll see is KITTY LITTER as the Hellcat gets the hell out o' DODGE...

http://www.hotrod.com/feature_storie...8/viewall.html
Attached Images

LOWDOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:33 PM   #17
archtaan

Drives: car
Quote:
Originally Posted by shaffe View Post
I said this before in one of the other hellcat threads that has this article. What makes this different than the GT500 vs ZL1.

GT500 won in straightline, ZL1 in corners-yet they chose ZL1.

Here we have Hellcat winning in straightline, ZL1 in corners, hellcat wins
True, but per the C&D article it out accelerates everything ever tested that was front engine/rear drive. Past 150mph it plain embarrasses everything in its class.

From a cornering standpoint I think it did ok. Numbers close to the ZL1 but clearly inferior. Especially the subjective feel. I bet the ZL1 just feels so much more nimble than the Hellcat. Different strokes for different folks right.
archtaan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2014, 09:59 PM   #18
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
I am also calling BS on this article.

So an Electric Lime Green HellCat that has been all over the media drew more attention than a 3 year old model Silver ZL1? Is this surprising to anyone?

They raced an Automatic against a standard and talk about how fast the Auto is. Really? The Auto ZL1's in our club have no issue putting down an 11.8 time on the GY F1's at the local track and in my recent AutoX I have no issue pulling 1.1 & 1.2 G's and on a really hot day I hit 1.3 G's so I'm just curious what the they were doing during the test.

I'm not taking anything away from the HellCat, I was a Challenger owner with my first car, and I've always loved them. But come on if your going to run a comparison at least TRY and keep the comparison in the same ball park. Hell, I'll bet that my Crystal Red gets more attention then a Silver ZL1 and it's the same damn car. I'll give credit when it's due, like having Randy Pobst race and lap these cars on a track back to back and then park a red ZL1 and red HellCat side by side and let's see what happens.
That's it, rant over.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 03:17 PM   #19
Cody6.2

Drives: 2012 Camaro 2SS
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Ridiculous statement on TC.
Have you ever made the comparison yourself, I have.
Cody6.2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 06:58 PM   #20
tones2SS

Drives: '13 Roush S3 '16 Ram Sport 4X4
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarFan View Post
Look no further than the article from Motor Trend posed at the top of this thread. It's not surprising that a 4400 lb Challenger with 700hp is .7 seconds behind the ZL1 in the figure eight. Which is oddly enough a larger gap in time that the 1/4 mile runs between them.
But I digress the HellCat is more than a one trick, straight line, pony. It's probably a very good drifting car too...
I'm calling it now.
I bet that the HC is going to surprise a lot of people on the auto-x. I may be wrong, but my gut is telling me otherwise, especially with the different levels of suspension, gearing and traction settings that you can select from.
Old 08-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #21
Todd in Vancouver

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by tones2SS View Post
I'm calling it now.
I bet that the HC is going to surprise a lot of people on the auto-x. I may be wrong, but my gut is telling me otherwise, especially with the different levels of suspension, gearing and traction settings that you can select from.
I really hope you are right because we need more muscle cars out there with us. The over abundance of Import cars is getting a bit old. Hell, I'd be happy to see some Mustangs show up because of late it's been a couple Camaros and some Vettes and I've not seen a single Challenger show up yet.

How hard can it be...
Check out my other build http://www.pro-touring.com/threads/9...ject-Obsession

Todd in Vancouver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2014, 07:37 PM   #22
96MrBass

Drives: GM
Quote:
Originally Posted by tc Bosnian View Post
I'm just curios on what GM will do to get back on top?
Well it wouldn't take much to get the ZL1 competitive with the GT and hellcat and it wouldn't need 700hp.
Roto- Fab Cai, SLP 1 3/4" headers, 3"X pipe, LM2 cat back, Comp Cam & AI Heads, SLP UP, RPM Tuned, GPI Intake, Vmax TB, ADM Air Scoop, 3.91 Gears, Gforce driveshaft, Braille 21#, Elite Catch Can, Pfadt Tie Rods, Diff Bushings and Trailing arms, Eibach spings & sways, BMR cradle bushings, Nt555r's.
96MrBass is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 12:50 AM   #23
VADER SS L99

Drives: 2013 A6 GT 5.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by URBAN LEGEND View Post
Simple. Drop the 15 ZO6 motor in everything similar to what Mercedes does.
The problem with that is GM very rarely likes to have a car that cost less out accelerate the Corvette. I just don't see a LT4 6th gen with a starting MSRP cheaper than 60k. They could very well make a LT4 6th gen but I think the starting price would put it outside Hellcat comparison. Hope I'm wrong. That's the problem with GM as they have two mainstream high production performance cars. Ford only has 1, so they can do whatever they like with it and it seems as though Dodge doesn't care if a 60k car is faster than their Much more expensive Viper. GM however DOES care and that is where the problem lies.
Old 08-25-2014, 10:56 PM   #24
SIN R G

Drives: 2008 VW R32, 2011 Synergy Green 2SS
"While the Camaro and Challenger have traded blows in straight-line versus cornering speed, and been evenly matched just about everywhere else, street presence is an important criterion. Simply put, the Challenger SRT Hellcat has tons and the Camaro ZL1 has considerably less. Musclecars are supposed to be as much about the show as they are about the go."

Shame, Shame, Shame on you MotorTrend! You give the win to a car that loses in the performance categories just because it is a new model and people want to look at it. Really, any respect I had for MotorTrend is now gone.

So if the ZL1 had been Synergy Green the Hellcat would have lost this comparison BIG TIME.

Last edited by SIN R G; 08-26-2014 at 09:49 PM.
SIN R G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2014, 11:16 PM   #25
RLHMARINES
1st Civ. Div.

Drives: Camaroless for now...RIP "Big SexZ"
The next gen C6 ZL1 will NOT cost more than a hell kitty and it will NOT be detuned if it uses the LT4 with the same size blower as the one installed on the C7 Z06 which was primarily due to hood clearance issues as it relates to pedestrian crash regs.
Old 08-26-2014, 08:22 AM   #26
shaffe

Drives: 21 Bronco
Quote:
Originally Posted by VADER SS L99 View Post
The problem with that is GM very rarely likes to have a car that cost less out accelerate the Corvette. I just don't see a LT4 6th gen with a starting MSRP cheaper than 60k. They could very well make a LT4 6th gen but I think the starting price would put it outside Hellcat comparison. Hope I'm wrong. That's the problem with GM as they have two mainstream high production performance cars. Ford only has 1, so they can do whatever they like with it and it seems as though Dodge doesn't care if a 60k car is faster than their Much more expensive Viper. GM however DOES care and that is where the problem lies.
GM will put the LT4 in the next ZL1, but I would be willing to bet it does not get the full 650HP.
shaffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2014, 11:31 AM   #27
NYYFan325

Drives: 2010 Camaro 2SS/RS
I agree, probably around 630-640 would be my guess. Just enough to say its less. Still if the car weighs ~3600 that is more then enough.

I'd also like to see them offer factory upgrades. i.e. smaller pulley to get 660-680hp or whatever
Old 08-29-2014, 08:47 PM   #28
OneSlowV

Drives: 2018 camaro ss
Even more impressed with the charger hellcat. Quarter mile 11 seconds flat and a top speed of 204 mph in a sedan lol. Hope the new V can compete to keep the hp wars up in the sedan market.

2020 CAMARO LT1 6spd 11.02@ 135 dragy approved
OneSlowV is offline   Reply With Quote