Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Cosmetics and Lighting Modification Discussions

Old 01-19-2012, 11:13 PM   #1
Diabel1969

Drives: 2010 2SS, A6
one more thread for converting non RS headlights to RS headlights..

Not sure if any of you remember or not, but my 2010 SS was totaled a little over a year ago. I've been gathering parts since then and the car has had the front clip replaced, subframe, etc. all replaced. I purchased a complete SS/RS front clip in the same color as the car complete with wire harness, headlights etc. Now the question is, the guy doing the work called me earlier tonight to let me know that from what he can see, the harness for the RS nose is different than the harness of the SS nose, and is having some sort of an issue making these headlights work. I'm going tomorrow morning to check out the situation. My question, I believed when I bought the front clip that with the harness, it would be basically plug and play without any issues. Is this correct or do I need to start playing with wires as the original harness was damaged, and what wasn't damaged was cut when the tow truck operator stole the original headlights thinking they were a high dollar item. Thanks in advance for replies!
1988 Chevy Monte Carlo SS (soon to be LS powered)
1978 Chevy Malibu torn apart pending rebirth...
1999 Chevy Cavalier (gas mileage work beater)
2010 Chevy Camaro SS (orange crush)
2000 Wellcraft Excalibur 260 sport cuddy 502 BBC bored to 509, with a few extra goodies done to it....
Still Shoppin' for a Challenger SRT8 6 speed
Diabel1969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:13 AM   #2
SSMickey

Drives: 2010 IBM 2SS
I have not done this conversion but have followed several threads on it. From what I understand, the headlight switch, headlight harness, harness in the nose as well as the BCM programing is all different. If you really want RS lights, leave everything stock, change the lights and get the Otto Body Harness to make everything work. Thats my plan for when I get out of this damn sandbox.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:24 AM   #3
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Wow, your opening a can of Worms Its a long list of parts that are different between the 2 cars.
2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 06:51 AM   #4
Diabel1969

so basically, i'm better off fixing the original harness, and then doing the add on kit? I had a hunch the BCM may be involved, but wasn't sure. Thanks.. What about that guy on here who's made harness' for people?
2000 Wellcraft Excalibur 260 sport cuddy 502 BBC bored to 509, with a few extra goodies done to it....
Old 01-20-2012, 07:44 AM   #5
SSMickey

Contact Otto Body. www.ottobody.com I'm going to use there harness when I do the conversion. The only thing is that your lights will still function just like a non-RS. Your low beams will be your DRL's and you will still have your fog's. I'm trying to get in touch with someone that can make a harness that will disable the DRL's and keep the auto lights function intact. I'm not going to mod my headlight switch.
Old 01-20-2012, 07:48 AM   #6
SSMickey

Also, a lot of people swear that a retrofit will give you better performance than the stock RS lights. I myself don't have an opinion on that one. PM Caverman. He did a retrofit on his and from the pics, it looks great.
Old 01-20-2012, 09:33 AM   #7
2SSRS@Gen5diy

Drives: 2014 Z/28 #82+#192, 18ZLE 66Nova
Quote:
Originally Posted by SSMickey View Post
Contact Otto Body. www.ottobody.com I'm going to use there harness when I do the conversion. The only thing is that your lights will still function just like a non-RS. Your low beams will be your DRL's and you will still have your fog's. I'm trying to get in touch with someone that can make a harness that will disable the DRL's and keep the auto lights function intact. I'm not going to mod my headlight switch.
There is only one way to disable the DRL's and keep the auto lights function intact, That is how my car is set up.

2SSRS@Gen5diy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 10:07 AM   #8
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
As others have mentioned the wiring of the RS vs non-RS is totally different. There are things that most people don't even notice. One being the front side markers. On an RS the they don't blink when the turn signal is on....with a non-RS they do. That doesn't even include things like the BCM since that is what will control the DRL which is different between the RS and non-RS.

If you want to use the OEM RS lights you'll be better off using the harness from someone like Ottobody to connect the RS lights up to your non-RS harness.

As mentioned, a retrofit HID projector is a much crisper and wider throw of light IMO. The retrofit is typically cheaper as well depending on if you get a deal on a used set or have to buy them new.

If you didn't have the RS lights already I would say to look into doing the a retrofit. However, since you already have the RS lights it might not be worth it to you.

Here is a pic of my Morimoto projectors up against the OEM RS lights. You can see the cut off-line is much more distinct. What you can't see from this example is that the width of my lights were wider as well.

BTW: in this pic my lights were adjusted a little too high. I've since adjusted them down so they are at the same hight as the stock RS lights. You get the idea though.
Attached Images

-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 02:44 PM   #9
Diabel1969

Thanks for the input guys!.. I was reading about the ottobody kits earlier and seemed to be alot of issues to iron out with them. I don't mind cutting and soldering a few wires here and there, but i'd like to have it function fairly properly. If it's a complete pain, I may just sell the lights and pick up new original ones. I like how 2SSRS's function. How hard was that to wire up? by the way, nice chevy II sitting there. 66, or 67? couldn't tell from the little piece I can see of it..
Old 01-20-2012, 02:48 PM   #10
Diabel1969

if it helps wiring it at all.. I do have the RS complete engine and light harness, so I do have the pigtails that I can use that connect to the headlights. After seeing the parts side by side, that RS harness even has different connectors for the fans, and everything. Didn't think there would be any difference in those components..
Old 01-20-2012, 03:54 PM   #11
caverman

Drives: '69 SS Convertible
If you sell your RS lights then you should do a retrofit.

To get rid of the DRL you'll have to buy a harness. 2SSRS can hook you up or FwyFlyer is who did mine.

I've got to leave right now but do a search with my Username and you'll find the info. If not I can dig up the links and post them for you later.....probably tomorrow.

HID is 1000x better than going back with just Halogen.
-2010 Camaro 2SS | M6 | VR w/White Stripes | 1 3/4" KOOKS - 3" Magnaflow | LPE 3.91 gears | ADM tuned | Halltech w/ADM Scoop | Spohn/BMR Trailing Arm/Toe Rod | BC Coilovers| Pedders FE4 ZL1 swaybars | Cradle/Diff/Radius Rod bushings | VMax TB | Morimoto Projectors | MGW shifter | Red Calipers
Build Journal
caverman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2012, 04:00 PM   #12
Shuffler
God Bless Dawson

Drives: Synergy for my Daughter
Evidently the car was not totaled.

It was just wrecked if your fixing it up it would seem.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:35 PM   #13
Diabel1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shuffler View Post
Evidently the car was not totaled.

It was just wrecked if your fixing it up it would seem.

your a little off track with your comment here.. This post is about the headlight conversion and NOTHING else. I mean no offense to you, but as of right now, i've got just a hair under 16k in parts putting this car back together. I don't know what your definition of totaled is, but considering i've worked with salvage cars alot throughout my life, this car was totaled. If you do a search on my id here, i'm sure you'll run into my initial post with pictures of the car, you can draw your own conclusions from that. Luckily for me, I actually overbought a front clip and didn't need the firewall. Rundown on parts. complete front clip including firewall into the A pillars, new windshield, both curtain bags, steering wheel bag, complete side to side front suspension including power steering pump, radiator, hoses, ac condenser both fans, some various pigtails that were cut when the towing company cut the wires and stole the headlights (which of course they denied), front subframe, 3 out of 4 wheels 1 being totally destroyed, and a few scuffs down both sides. Car was not insured at the time of the accident.
Old 01-20-2012, 05:43 PM   #14
Diabel1969

Quote:
Originally Posted by caverman View Post
If you sell your RS lights then you should do a retrofit.

To get rid of the DRL you'll have to buy a harness. 2SSRS can hook you up or FwyFlyer is who did mine.

I've got to leave right now but do a search with my Username and you'll find the info. If not I can dig up the links and post them for you later.....probably tomorrow.

HID is 1000x better than going back with just Halogen.
Thanks! you and 2SSRS have been a huge help, along with the service manuals I bought right after this happened. I've done some searching on here and if I can do this with not much effort in a short amount of time, i'll do it, if not, I may ebay the headlights or post them for sale here. The front clip I bought had a total of 12 miles on it when I got it, so they're basically new.