Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > Camaro ZL1 Forum - ZL1 Specific Topics

Old 06-04-2014, 06:23 PM   #1
sberk1012

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
Should I be concerned?

At 1500 miles, I brought my car to the dealer to get engine oil, rear differential, and transmission fluids changed. I did it for piece of mind (kind of ironic now looking back). I even showed one of the service advisors the manual before they started the jobs...the table that shows which fluids to use in the ZL1.

Anyway, after the service, I noticed on low speed, sharp turns that the vehicle moaned from the diff and I could sort of feel it "struggle." Brought it in yesterday, and sure enough, they had screwed up the service. There was supposed to be an additive in the diff fluid, which they apparently did not add.

The car had been driven for another 1500 miles before it was brought in for the issue (it wasn't bad at first, but progressively got really bad).

They changed the diff fluid twice this morning and the noises seemed to have disappeared.

Here's my question: Even though they put the correct fluid in and it seems to be all good now, should I still be worried that there was damage done while I was driving those 1500 miles with bad diff fluid?
sberk1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:15 PM   #2
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
It would be nice to hear from Customer Service that frequents this sight about this. I'd want a new Diff.

I see you're in Wisconsin. May I ask which dealer did the work?

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:23 PM   #3
Scott@Bjorn3D

Drives: Kami, 2013 2SS LS3 Luvin
Send a message via MSN to Scott@Bjorn3D
Known issue if friction modifier is not added. You should be fine now that it has been added. You where hearing the clutches in the rear end groan since they where not as slippery as they would of been with the modifier.
Scott@Bjorn3D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:45 PM   #4
KaBoom1701
KaBoom1701

Drives: 13' ZL1 Red M6
Make sure you document when they screwed up. Drive it like you stole it and have fun!

If something happens dif related your covered.
Roto-Fab Intake, WW Res. kit & Big Gulp Air Scoop, Elite Catch Can, ATI Super Damper & 18% OD Pulley, LF Idler pulley bracket, Metco CC breather, ID850 Injectors, Stainless Power Headers w/ ceramic coating, TR71X Spark Plugs, JMS Fuel Pump Booster, Bo White TB, Tuned by Ted @ Jannetty Racing, Ron Davis HX, D3 Reservoir, Pfadt 1" Springs, Moreno Camber Plates, ZL1 Addons Splitter guard washers, Tow Hook kit & rock guards, Hurst Shifter Billet Plus 6 Speed Short Shifter, ZL1 DRL lighting harness, ZL1 Recaro Seats.
KaBoom1701 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 07:57 PM   #5
ZMEnow

Drives: ZL1, 2013, tri-coat-red, manual
Quote:
Originally Posted by sberk1012 View Post
At 1500 miles, I brought my car to the dealer to get engine oil, rear differential, and transmission fluids changed. I did it for piece of mind (kind of ironic now looking back). I even showed one of the service advisors the manual before they started the jobs...the table that shows which fluids to use in the ZL1.

Anyway, after the service, I noticed on low speed, sharp turns that the vehicle moaned from the diff and I could sort of feel it "struggle." Brought it in yesterday, and sure enough, they had screwed up the service. There was supposed to be an additive in the diff fluid, which they apparently did not add.

The car had been driven for another 1500 miles before it was brought in for the issue (it wasn't bad at first, but progressively got really bad).

They changed the diff fluid twice this morning and the noises seemed to have disappeared.

Here's my question: Even though they put the correct fluid in and it seems to be all good now, should I still be worried that there was damage done while I was driving those 1500 miles with bad diff fluid?
I didn't think the Zl1 requires an additive, it has a required fluid that has everything in it. It's listed in one of the threads on flushing the diff for another issue where lapping material needs to be purged.
ZMEnow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:17 PM   #6
Coupe

Drives: 2014 ZL1
Rearend noise - test drive

Before I bought my 2014 ZL1, I test drove a 2012 ZL1. It was a nice car, but
- it was overpriced
- the front left rim was scratched and a chunk was missing from the tire
- and the rear end made a horrible sound only when making a hard turn (turning around in a parking lot at low speed) just like you mentioned.

I walked away without making an offer. I bet the rear end noise was the same as you mentioned above.

I believe the car is still for sale at the Dodge dealer in Paw Paw, MI.

Last edited by Coupe; 06-04-2014 at 11:18 PM. Reason: correction
Coupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2014, 11:20 PM   #7
charlietuna

Drives: 2013 ZL1
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
I didn't think the Zl1 requires an additive, it has a required fluid that has everything in it. It's listed in one of the threads on flushing the diff for another issue where lapping material needs to be purged.
This
Old 06-05-2014, 01:25 AM   #8
ninsecgt

Drives: 2017 zl1
i concur but dont hold your breath

Quote:
Originally Posted by hotlapZL1 View Post
It would be nice to hear from Customer Service that frequents this sight about this. I'd want a new Diff.

I see you're in Wisconsin. May I ask which dealer did the work?
you wont hear from those fools because you should hear from them. get my point?
ninsecgt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 02:21 AM   #9
djnice

Drives: 13 ZL1 SIM, 99 Z28 Black
There is a tsb for this. They replace the oil a couple times and you move on.
Old 06-05-2014, 09:03 AM   #10
Tyler H
XLR8TNG

Drives: 2013 Camaro ZL1
Not to worry! Just clutches grabbing. The car lets you know when it wants new rear end fluid! Lol . Gm has Dexron LS gear oil for the car with the friction modifier mixed in it or you can use for example: Pennzoil 75w90 GL-5 synthetic and add one bottle of friction modifier. Either way is fine but the car DOES require friction modifier in the rear end! This is common as all heck so do not sweat it! 100% normal!
Tyler H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 09:23 AM   #11
nxttruck2002

Drives: Camaro
I run Redline 75W90 which contains the friction modifiers. She's so smooth no matter what. I run redline 5w30 in the lsa, D4 in the tr6060, and 75w90 in the rear diif. Car drives so much easier.

http://www.redlineoil.com/product.aspx?product=57904
nxttruck2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 03:18 PM   #12
Jetcop20
Jetcop20

Drives: '13 ZL1 A6
yes

my answer to your posted question/concern. Find a new dealer to service your vehicle..'cause if the mechanic who worked on it cannot put in proper lubricants...think forward to what they will do when a real repair is in order DOH
Jetcop20 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 07:12 PM   #13
sberk1012

Drives: 2013 ZL1 A6
Thanks for the replies all...I feel a bit reassured about the car itself, apart from the fact that I may have a stupid service dept. at the dealership

To Joe Dirt: It is Ballweg Chevrolet in Middleton
sberk1012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2014, 08:09 PM   #14
hotlap

Drives: 20 1LE 2SS M6 Rally Green
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZMEnow View Post
Manual calls for fluid with additive. I'm doing mine tomorrow night
Attached Images

"the trouble with our liberal friends is not that they're ignorant; it's just that they know so much that isn't so.”
Ronald Reagan -
hotlap is offline   Reply With Quote