Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Engine | Drivetrain | Powertrain Technical Discussions > Mechanical Maintenance: Break-in / Oil & Fluids / Servicing

Old 01-06-2013, 10:55 AM   #1
willhe64

Drives: 2012 45th Vert, 2011 4x4, 9sec Vega
Air filters - Which one is the best at catching dirt?

I've seen lots of threads on here about which filters flow better. But which ones filter better, trap more dirt? Or is there a certain type of filter media that does both, flows well and traps more dirt than stock?
Old 01-06-2013, 04:47 PM   #2
willhe64

Spent the afternoon researching this online. Lot's of info to wade through. Bottom line is you don't get something for nothing. The oiled cotton filters do flow better than paper, but they catch less dirt. The foam ones are only good and catching larger particles, but they do flow the best.

For me, I'm sticking with oem paper filters. They still have the best filtration. This is more important to me than a few as yet to be proven HP gains.

I run a K&N in my race car. Been racing it for 16 years and probably only have 1000 actual miles on it. But for a street driven car, I want to keep it as clean inside as I can.
Old 01-06-2013, 04:50 PM   #3
willhe64

There was one case study, a mining company, worst environment possible. They change out air filters every 2 weeks on their trucks. They were looking to cut costs and installed reusable cotton filters for a test period. The had the engine oil analysed after and found it to be unacceptable. They went back to paper.
Old 01-07-2013, 06:46 PM   #4
BFASTNOTLAST

Drives: 2012 SS LS3
Type R2C into your search engine. There is a reason why the majority of dirt late modles and sprint cars across the country use them. Not saying the R2C is the best CAI intake system but I would put my money on it that the filtration is far superior to most. Take it for what it's worth. Good luck.

Last edited by BFASTNOTLAST; 01-07-2013 at 07:13 PM.
BFASTNOTLAST is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2013, 06:51 PM   #5
NavyDood
Retired Navy

Drives: 2010 2SS/RS
Paper hands down unless you are running crazy HP that would require a lot more airflow than what the paper can handle.
Retired Navy... A Husband. A Dad. A Veteran as of 2011. 2010 2SS/RS A6 - FlowMaster CatBack - I'm not a Amsoil dealer and will never be one. I believe in its capabilities from personal use with oil analysis reports backing up my OCI's. Besides, I know more than most cut and paste Amsoil dealers which are at least 95% of them.
NavyDood is offline   Reply With Quote