Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Technical Camaro Topics > Camaro Issues / Problems | Warranty Discussions | TSB and Recalls

Old 04-25-2011, 12:57 PM   #351
66GTO

Drives: LT RS Automatic
Quote:
Originally Posted by headgamez View Post
Freeman, I can see where you are coming from. Guys, I am sure that Chevrolet will come up with a fix for this. It will take some time to go through the engineering phase to ensure that the correction will be the correct one. Speaking on the other carmakers, I remember in the past when Ford had a problem with the kingpins on their F150. Put out a quick fix to the dealers to try and quiet the consumers, and it was worse than before. I am sure that Chevrolet won't disappoint us.
I admire your optimism. However, when the official GM response (per Jeff) is "it is normal", what I see is not acknowledgement that there is a problem, but the denial of a problem.

Why do you assume that GM engineering is, as we speak, studiously working on a problem that they insist does not exist? If the official response had been, "Guys we realize there is a problem and we are working on a solution. Stay tuned", I would share your optimism. The official response has been more like, "Move along, there is nothing to see here. We have your money and there is nothing you can do about it now."
66GTO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2011, 01:03 PM   #352
headgamez

Drives: 2018 Camaro ZL1
Gotcha!!

Hehe, I hope that they are doing something on this issue behind the scenes. The weekend the weather was pretty nice, and the blunt sound coming from the front was sort of driving me nuts!! I just simply turned the radio up. Funny, I can't hear the noise with the windows down, just with the windows up, and the radio at low to moderate volume. It does sound like the strut mount, but after I checked it this weekend, there is absolutely no play in the mount itself. I will put it on the rack and really give it a once over this weekend.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 66GTO View Post
I admire your optimism. However, when the official GM response (per Jeff) is "it is normal", what I see is not acknowledgement that there is a problem, but the denial of a problem.

Why do you assume that GM engineering is, as we speak, studiously working on a problem that they insist does not exist? If the official response had been, "Guys we realize there is a problem and we are working on a solution. Stay tuned", I would share your optimism. The official response has been more like, "Move along, there is nothing to see here. We have your money and there is nothing you can do about it now."
headgamez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 09:34 AM   #353
Chevrolet Customer Svc

Drives: GM Vehicles
The best thing to put this to bed is for all of you to have your vehicels checked as the sound you are hearing may not be the same as what is stated in the document I found. The only sure fire way to know whether or not the sounds you are hearing is or is not normal for the vehicle is to have the vehicle checked by your dealer.

Jeff Morris, Chevrolet Customer Service
Chevrolet Customer Svc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 10:00 AM   #354
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Drives: 2014 ZL1 #705
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chevrolet Customer Svc View Post
The best thing to put this to bed is for all of you to have your vehicels checked as the sound you are hearing may not be the same as what is stated in the document I found. The only sure fire way to know whether or not the sounds you are hearing is or is not normal for the vehicle is to have the vehicle checked by your dealer.

I am goinv to try a fix pretty soon. I will let y"all know how it goes. Keep ur fingers crossed.....
TAG UR IT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 11:22 AM   #355
67 Convertible

Drives: 67 Camaro Convertible
Quote:
The only sure fire way to know whether or not the sounds you are hearing is or is not normal for the vehicle is to have the vehicle checked by your dealer.
1) We cannot duplicate the sound
2) We do not hear anything
3) This is the first complaint we've had
4) We drove other Camaros and do not hear anything
5) This is normal and charactaristic of the Camaro
1100 - 4/28/09
2000 - 5/01/09
2500 - 5/05/09
3000 - 5/05/09
3300 - 5/30/09
3400 - 6/05/09
3800 - 6/18/09
4000 - 6/18/09
4B00 - 6/18/09
4200 - 6/22/09
5000 - 7/01/09
6000 - 7/01/09 It's Home!!
0000 - 7/14/11 Traded in with 24,000 miles. Currently 5th Gen less
67 Convertible is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2011, 05:32 PM   #356
lgndlt5

Drives: 2010 1lt
Quote:
Basically what I got back from our Technical Assistance team was that there is some documentation on the issue that the dealership would have. Currently it is a normal condition of the vehicle (this would have to be confirmed by the dealership to make sure that the sound isn't being caused by a broken or defective part). I know this isn't entirely thrilling and not the answer many of you were looking for, but this noise is normal. If this information helps any of you I will be happy.

HI Jeff. With all due repect and substantial appreciation for your frequent and kind assistance to the members of this board. What you speak above is the limitation inherent in your position. During my 28 years in dealer service, GM and Ford, I know this approach is the traditional 'we don't want to address anything we can talk our way out of " factory approach. We realize for the most part that pre release testing is not nearly as telling and effective as customer/owner testing. The frustration is that GM will not take the time to research the fix OR has and is unwilling to step up to the cost of correction. Let's be relistic about this. Two (2) weeks ago, among other minor warranty repairs I had the dealer look into this problem, on both sides. They replaced both the struts even when I suggested that it could possibly be solved with the superceded foam spring saddle part only. The new struts solved the problem on the drivers side but the passenger side is no better and perceptually a bit worse. How is this consistent with 'it is "normal"???? The dealers answer to "did you replace the spring saddles with the upgraded superceded part number(?), was "no.... I lubed the black rubber ones!" My question is why did one side correct and not the other when both struts were replaced? It is back in today for the same. How do I proceed to open a "case" with GM as I am close to expiration of the basic 3/36? Thanks in advance for your answer and again for all you do in support of these now very many owners! John
lgndlt5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 09:46 AM   #357
CamaroYork

Drives: 2015 Camaro 2SS/RS 1 LE
My 2011 SS started making thud type noise in front end after 3 weeks ...Dealership service mgr said they don't hear the noise and everything is normal...From what i've read at this forum,the dealership will be of no help..Would aftermarket struts clear this problem ?
CamaroYork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2011, 11:14 AM   #358
pnyklr

Drives: A Gift From My Wife
Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroYork View Post
My 2011 SS started making thud type noise in front end after 3 weeks ...Dealership service mgr said they don't hear the noise and everything is normal...From what i've read at this forum,the dealership will be of no help..Would aftermarket struts clear this problem ?
It has been suggested that aftermarket struts might solve the problem but to my knowledge nobody has tried it yet.

Give it a shot and report back!

-Funk
pnyklr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 01:08 AM   #359
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

Got a couple new parts....going to have to install them and see what happens.
Old 04-28-2011, 02:32 AM   #360
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
Just saw this thread. I have been chasing this problem with my new suspension. We tried several things and have discovered it is the lower control arms where the end links bolt into. According to What I've been told this is a known weak link in the stock suspension. The bolt sizes are unusual and work loose causing the bolt to move around causing the whole to elongate and not able torque properly. PFADT is developing a support piece to bolt or weld on. I have one of the first ones going on tomorrow so I will let everyone know how it works. In the mean time try torquing that bolt and nut see if that helps. Photos to follow
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 05:01 AM   #361
crewxp

Drives: 2LT RS Summit White Camaro
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buffnshine View Post
Just saw this thread. I have been chasing this problem with my new suspension. We tried several things and have discovered it is the lower control arms where the end links bolt into. According to What I've been told this is a known weak link in the stock suspension. The bolt sizes are unusual and work loose causing the bolt to move around causing the whole to elongate and not able torque properly. PFADT is developing a support piece to bolt or weld on. I have one of the first ones going on tomorrow so I will let everyone know how it works. In the mean time try torquing that bolt and nut see if that helps. Photos to follow
Great!

And wow... This thread is getting larger than I thought it would. I guess everyone has noticed the problem
crewxp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 06:47 AM   #362
TAG UR IT
www.Camaro5store.com

There are more than one types of sound and its coming from more than one place. Unfortunately, I have both, pete from pedders was under my car at 2am at the fest helping to diagnose my popping sound along with placing chassis ears on my car to isolate and detect exactly where these sounds where coming from.

Popping from the rears are control arms and end links. Pedders is already providing a solution for that. The popping from the front right end is a totally complete new ball game. Totally different noise.
Old 04-28-2011, 09:06 AM   #363
Buffnshine
So Cal Camaro5 Race Team

Drives: '10 SS/RS, '06 HHR, '70 El Camino
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post
There are more than one types of sound and its coming from more than one place. Unfortunately, I have both, pete from pedders was under my car at 2am at the fest helping to diagnose my popping sound along with placing chassis ears on my car to isolate and detect exactly where these sounds where coming from.

Poping from the rears are control arms and end links. Pedders is already providing a solution for that. The poping from the front right end is a totally complete new ball game. Totally different noise.
Lol, Aaron from PFADT was under mine as well at Fest. I have not expierenced the front other than the popping needed to be isolated as to where it was coming from. I'm just we have such knowledgable people in the community who are dedicated to better engineer the mouse trap
TEAM L99 - So Cal Camaro5 Race Team #27
9/5/09 Purchased #36962 Black 1SS/RS L99 "E-TCKT" Base Dyno 328hp/341tq @BBK meet
Mods to Date: Window Tint 5% & 15%, ACC P13W Lighting, Adaptive DRL Harness, Ghost Armor, Lloyds "SS" Mats, Dash Plaque, Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust, Drake Front Bowtie Delete, Stealth 3457 Chrome/Mirror Signal Bulbs, Grant Revolutions Steering Wheel, PFADT Sport Springs, Sway Bars, End Links, Trailing Arms, 4 Wheel Alignment, Hurst Auto Shifter and Paddle Shifter, Satin Black Rear Tail Light Bezels
Buffnshine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #364
f5journal
Senior Camaro Fanatic

Drives: 2011 SS/RS manual - White
Quote:
Originally Posted by TAG UR IT View Post

Poping from the rears are control arms and end links. Pedders is already providing a solution for that. The poping from the front right end is a totally complete new ball game. Totally different noise.

My popping from the right front is not exactly a metallic pop. It's more of a quick tire rub sound (I'm totally stock) I'm thinking more along the lines of a sway bar bushing or the strut twisting, not a metal to metal snap/movement.

Now FWIW, it did pop a few times, but that seems to have stopped...at least for now
f5journal is offline   Reply With Quote