Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Phastek Performance
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > General Camaro Forums > 5th Gen Camaro SS LS LT General Discussions

Old 07-12-2019, 03:08 AM   #1
Bobby

Drives: 1977 corvette, 1979 Z-28
2010 camaro Ipod question

So yes I still like to use my old Ipod Classic sometimes so I have a question about cables

So I know there is the 3.5 jack and a usb port in the counsel

I know you can use a 3.5 from you ipod to the 3.5 in the counsel

now if you use the usb port in the car can the ipod cable be the same one you charge too? so in other worlds usb on one end and the large square end to the ipod or is that just for charging

I know this is probably a stupid question but I have to ask, so if that does not work I take it you can buy a cable that is usb on one end and 3.5 on the other.

Which has better funtions on the car the usb connection to ipod or 3.5 to ipod

thank you Bobby
Bobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:36 AM   #2
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
I swap between a USB memory stick and an old iPod Nano all the time. Your iPod cable will work just fine for listing to the music, as well as keeping the iPod powered/charged. Once plugged in, the USB icon on your MyLink will change to an iPod icon.
Old 07-12-2019, 11:39 AM   #3
DRKS1D3

Drives: '17 Corvette Grand Sport M7
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
I swap between a USB memory stick and an old iPod Nano all the time. Your iPod cable will work just fine for listing to the music, as well as keeping the iPod powered/charged. Once plugged in, the USB icon on your MyLink will change to an iPod icon.
He has a 2010, so there is no MyLink. You are correct though. The music will play and the device will charge at the same time.

**SOLD**2011 TRIPLE BLACK SS CONVERTIBLE--6 SPEED MANUAL, MANY MODS, 455 RWHP/435 RWTQ

DAD'S RIDE: 2012 ZL1 #1866--BLACK, 6 SPEED MANUAL, EXPOSED CF HOOD, POLISHED WHEELS, SUNROOF, ROTO-FAB INTAKE

"Silly Americans, taking from the rich and giving to the poor only works in fairy tales. Success is earned here!".
DRKS1D3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 11:42 AM   #4
Welker2
Ret AF, cancer survivor

Drives: 2013 Camaro 2SS/RS & 2006 Corvette
Quote:
Originally Posted by DRKS1D3 View Post
He has a 2010, so there is no MyLink. You are correct though. The music will play and the device will charge at the same time.
Thanks, forgot the 2010 didn't have MyLink
Old 07-12-2019, 01:01 PM   #5
Badbubba
GrINned & JUICEd

Drives: 15STI, 10Expy, 10 2SS/RS M6, 47KB1
For me, using the USB port as a charger never worked correctly with any of my Samsung phones. It would charge for about a minute then fault. It's been so long, I don't fully remember the circumstances. Your Ipod may act differently.
GPI SS3 Cam & stuff,N.O. Plate(dedicated fuel tank,progressive,fuel hose upgrade,remote opener,heater,console switches),LNC2000,CTAP,ARH 1 7/8" LTs/gutted cats/X pipe/mufflers,Jet Hot coated LTs,GPI HPT Tune,CAI, Scoop,Rx Catch Can,Gates heater hose relocation, Remote clutch & auto brake res,Metco loop,Momentum Tunnel Brace,TSW Nurb 18",555 & 05,Pfadt trailing arms & toe rods,Autometer WB,Fesler Pillar Pod,LED strips (int),Lloyds floor & trunk mats,LED DRL/front turn & license plate,DRL harness,VLEDs tail lights,Plasticoat Bowties. Ord: Oct 5, 2009 Rec: Nov 19, 2009 13.17@112.6 stock
Badbubba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 02:44 PM   #6
AG454
I am not "Fast & Furious"

Drives: 2010 Camaro LSX454 1LE
I have been using a iPod classic in my 2010 for ten years now. Plays and charges flawlessly. My 2013 DD with Mylink doesn’t work as well. Several times a week it reboots the iPod and goes back to the first song alphabetically
Don't wait up 'cause I'll be late, I'll be late
AG454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 04:18 PM   #7
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
It's a console.

The USB connection on my 2010 has worked poorly from day 1. The sound quality is intermittently poor and noisy. This is a common problem on 2010's.

I therefore used the jack, which of course did not charge. When I connected the iPod Classic to the DC outlet via USB while playing through the jack, I got a loud hum.

But that's all over now; I have an iPhone X with 512 gigs and it holds my entire library, so now I use the bluetooth interface and voice commands to play my tunes. No need to charge while deriving because the battery is good for MANY hours.
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2019, 09:10 PM   #8
KenKat

Drives: 2014 2LT RS Summit White
Quote:
Originally Posted by AG454 View Post
I have been using a iPod classic in my 2010 for ten years now. Plays and charges flawlessly. My 2013 DD with Mylink doesn’t work as well. Several times a week it reboots the iPod and goes back to the first song alphabetically
I had a similar issue with my Gen 4 iPod Touch and MyLink. It would also sometimes run the iPod battery down as well - I get in the car and the iPod battery would be at zero and the iPod reset to the first song. After I lost that Touch in the United Terminal at O’Hare*, I started looking around for a replacement and ran across this compatibility list:

https://my.chevrolet.com/content/dam...le_Devices.pdf

I ended up getting a used Gen 5 Touch on eBay and haven’t had these issues.

*By some miracle, someone found my old Touch at O’Hare, turned it in and United somehow figured out it was mine (it was unlocked) and they shipped it back to me. My wife got that one...

Last edited by KenKat; 07-13-2019 at 11:38 AM.
KenKat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 11:17 AM   #9
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Welker2 View Post
Thanks, forgot the 2010 didn't have MyLink
Mine does
Attached Images

PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2019, 04:21 PM   #10
Rock-It Man
376 cubic inches of fun

Drives: 2023 Camaro ZL1 A10
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
Mine does
That's cool!

Can you tell us how you achieved this?
Rock-It Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 10:11 AM   #11
carfansince73

Drives: Carefully
Quote:
Originally Posted by spyderbuddy View Post
Mine does
I keep thinking about doing this upgrade or just a new head unit all together with aftermarket radio, but then I think about putting that money towards more exterior improvements or go faster parts.

How much did it set you back and did you do the install?
2010 1SS RS, LS3, SIM/Black, painted rally stripes, AAC sidemarkers, Sunroof, B.A. sound sys; 20x9.5 & 20x11 SV1-C5's; MGW short shifter; Hotchkis Track Pack; Corsa catback; Kooks 1 7/8"; ADM Street; Magnacharger TVS2300 - 548rwhp/512rwtq
1100- 2/18/09; 3800- 6/15/09 VIN#18308; Delivered 6/29/09!!!!!

2014 CTS-V Sedan, Black/Black, Auto, Recaros, Ultra-view, Red Brembos. Stock
carfansince73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:11 PM   #12
hrpiii
AKA "Beefcake"

Drives: 2023 ZL1 Sharkskin
I've had my 2010 since Nov 2009, and zero issues with using my Ipod and Iphone with the USB cable for charging and playing music. Music has sounded great and no issues at all. The car does need to index the music on occasion when updates are performed on the phone.
hrpiii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2019, 12:13 PM   #13
spyderbuddy

Drives: 2010 RS Inferno Orange Metallic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rock-It Man View Post
That's cool!

Can you tell us how you achieved this?
Gen 5 DIY
PCP Hideaway Headlight Covers, BBK Headers & High Flow Cats, ZL1 Add-ons Wicker Bill, TL1/ZL1 Hood Insert, Gen5 DIY Frameless Mirror, ABL Dash Lighting an My link Navigation, Blacked out Rear Bowtie, all Sylvania led Turn Signals, Ceramic Window Tint By Nicks, MBRP Exhaust tips, GEN5 DIY Virginia Legal DRL Harness, Painted Brake Calipers, Vittesse Throttle Controller, Heritage Grill, Diode Dynamics Led Lighting, Manual Shifter Boot, Paddle Shifters, CNC Throttle Body, Trifecta Tune, RX Catch Can & Breather, Trunk Black out and Side Grills, Chevorlet door Sills.
spyderbuddy is offline   Reply With Quote