Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com

Bigwormgraphix
Go Back   Camaro5 Chevy Camaro Forum / Camaro ZL1, SS and V6 Forums - Camaro5.com > Specific Models / Packages > Camaro Convertible Forum

Old 11-20-2011, 12:59 AM   #1
Smkymts

Drives: 2011 Camaro Convertible SS
2011 Indy 500 Pace Cars -Register here

If you are a fellow 2011 IPC owner and you want to discuss topics spanning IPC concerns here is a space to do so. I have searched and only saw a thread announcing the debut of this car under the Summitt White color thread and some talk under convertibles but this Limited Production run deserves it own place in the Sun.

According to my dealer as explained to them by John Fitzpatrick -Marketing Manager Chevrolet Performance Cars (Corvette, Camaro)

The production runs breaks down as follows:
Total run:500 units
1 unit used as Actual Pace Car
50 units shipped to Indy 500 and used as Festival Cars and issued Indiana Plates expiring May 31, 2011 numbering 1 to 50. But some ares were stolen.
50 units shipped to Canada
Of the original 500 units; 153 units were M6 manuals, 347 Automatic Trans.

I own the last manual trans. IPC made #153. It was special ordered as a Supercharged LS3 as a joint effort between SLP and Les Stanford Chevrolet in Michigan. It was a ZL585 with a Exterior modification delete. The only exterior mod kept was the ZL Redline rims. This was the first and only Supercharged 2011 IPC built this way and signified as build #001 on the SLP build sheet.

This is the same Michigan Dealership, Chevrolet selected to roll out the "Chroma" Camaro at SEMA a few years back. They are the go to dealer when Chevy needs specialty cars done. And they are known for many past SEMA winners.

Last edited by Smkymts; 11-20-2011 at 01:15 AM.
Smkymts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 08:45 AM   #2
pastohio

Drives: Indy Pace Car
What is the website you are talking about for IPC??? thanks !
pastohio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 11:06 AM   #3
Smkymts

IPC is not a website, it stands for Indy Pace Car (IPC).
Old 11-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #4
babaron
Totally into it

Drives: '67 427vette/'11 Pacecar/'02 BMW ci
put an SLP Maggie and Blackhawk CAI withLMII exaust in mine too. no external mods.
babaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 12:09 PM   #5
Smkymts

Quote:
Originally Posted by babaron View Post
put an SLP Maggie and Blackhawk CAI withLMII exaust in mine too. no external mods.
Wow, you have a '69 white convertible too. That's a nice pair of Aces to have up your sleeve. I'm jealous. I see it untouched. A set of decals and you would have a matching set.
Old 11-20-2011, 02:30 PM   #6
5thGenIndy500

Drives: 2011 Indy 500 Pace Car
Guess I should register here. I currently have one on the 50 Festival cars #44 and one of the 153 M6 manual dealer cars.

There is a Camaro Pace Car site at http://www.camaropacecars.com

They have a private registry of all years of camaro pace car owners.

There were actually "51" 2011 Camaro Vert Festival cars and it was purchased by Jon Bon Jovi who also has a matching 69 pace car.

Plus there were a couple of coupes used as festival cars too...
5thGenIndy500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-20-2011, 04:57 PM   #7
Smkymts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenIndy500 View Post
Guess I should register here. I currently have one on the 50 Festival cars #44 and one of the 153 M6 manual dealer cars.

There is a Camaro Pace Car site at http://www.camaropacecars.com

They have a private registry of all years of camaro pace car owners.

There were actually "51" 2011 Camaro Vert Festival cars and it was purchased by Jon Bon Jovi who also has a matching 69 pace car.

Plus there were a couple of coupes used as festival cars too...

As I listed, 51 cars sent to the race. 1 used as actually to pace the car, 50 used by officals and special guest. All 51 cars were automatics per the Vp of Chevrolet. Bon Jovi purchased the car he used as a special guest at the race. Cars not given as gifts or auctioned for charity was offered to local dealers and top camaro selling dealers but the dealership had to arrange there own transportation.
So you have #44 and another one that is a manual? Impressive.
Thanks for the website, that's the kind of info members like to see.
Old 11-20-2011, 08:55 PM   #8
5thGenIndy500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smkymts View Post
As I listed, 51 cars sent to the race. 1 used as actually to pace the car, 50 used by officals and special guest. All 51 cars were automatics per the Vp of Chevrolet. Bon Jovi purchased the car he used as a special guest at the race. Cars not given as gifts or auctioned for charity was offered to local dealers and top camaro selling dealers but the dealership had to arrange there own transportation.
So you have #44 and another one that is a manual? Impressive.
Thanks for the website, that's the kind of info members like to see.
No problem it’s a great site for Camaro Pace Car owners.

I have to disagree with you though on the 2011 Pace Car info. I was at the race and there were actually 3 Pace Cars identifiable by the larger CAMARO windshield graphic, IZOD sticker on rocker panels, yellow lens tail lights w/strobes and no # id on the windshields. (I have photos of all three together at the end of pit row minutes prior to the race) In addition to the three pace cars there were 51 numbered Festival Camaro Convertibles Jon Bon Jovi purchased #51 as indicated by the number on the windshield and the tag, I also have a photo of that one. In addition 4 of the 51 Festival cars were M6 Manuals I know someone who owns one of them but, it is still unknown who has the other 3 M6 Manuals.

Yep I ordered and purchased one of the dealer M6 Manuals and then was given an opportunity to purchase the #44 festival car. I could not pass up the opportunity based the collectability of the car. I am looking to sell the M6 Manual though as I really cannot keep both.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:23 PM   #9
Smkymts

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5thGenIndy500 View Post
No problem it’s a great site for Camaro Pace Car owners.

I have to disagree with you though on the 2011 Pace Car info. I was at the race and there were actually 3 Pace Cars identifiable by the larger CAMARO windshield graphic, IZOD sticker on rocker panels, yellow lens tail lights w/strobes and no # id on the windshields. (I have photos of all three together at the end of pit row minutes prior to the race) In addition to the three pace cars there were 51 numbered Festival Camaro Convertibles Jon Bon Jovi purchased #51 as indicated by the number on the windshield and the tag, I also have a photo of that one. In addition 4 of the 51 Festival cars were M6 Manuals I know someone who owns one of them but, it is still unknown who has the other 3 M6 Manuals.

Yep I ordered and purchased one of the dealer M6 Manuals and then was given an opportunity to purchase the #44 festival car. I could not pass up the opportunity based the collectability of the car. I am looking to sell the M6 Manual though as I really cannot keep both.
Wow, I missed that while at the race. My info was based on the info emailed to me by the VP Of Marketing at Chevrolet.

So I bow to your insight then. It would be nice to see those pics. Could you add them to your album attached to your profile so everyone can enjoy them.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:39 PM   #10
5thGenIndy500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smkymts View Post
Wow, I missed that while at the race. My info was based on the info emailed to me by the VP Of Marketing at Chevrolet.

So I bow to your insight then. It would be nice to see those pics. Could you add them to your album attached to your profile so everyone can enjoy them.
I hope you did not think that I was trying to be a smart %ss or anything I was only trying to say what I witnessed firsthand while there, as I also spoke to Fritz early on and was told there were only 50 festival cars plus 3 actual pace cars but, while there I saw #51 plus 2 Coupe pace cars. So maybe they were added later... I know there is more than one actual Pace Car so as to have backup in case of break down or crashes (a pace car has crashed before too). If it is like previous years one of the actual pace cars goes into the Indy 500 Museum and one goes into the GM Museum not sure where the third ends up....some exec I would suspect.

I am a lap sponsor and there is a grassy area right down next to the pace car pit exit at the end of pit row that is reserved for lap sponsors. So I was able to see firsthand and close up the three pace cars staged just prior to the start of the race. I will post the photos as soon as I locate them in the 1,000 plus photos that I have.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:38 AM   #11
Smkymts

No problem, I only report here what was told to me too. It wouldn't be the first time misleading things are stated by GM. The actually Pace Car was suppose to be the car that Barrett Jackson Auction for $225,000. With the winning bidder pacing the race in the car he bought. I went back to the official press release and it stated all "51" car were automatics.
It reminds me of the car that recieved the highest bid ever at Barrett Jackson. It was something like a 1953 Olsmobile version of the corvette, designed and built 1 of 3 by Harlee Earl and his team. Chevrolet was so upset they placed enough pressure on GM to kill the project. The car were to be destroyed! The team heart was so wrapped up in it, that 2 cars without engines were crushed but the last/only one that was completed was given to the team leader and stashed away in his barn. Only to show up at auction 50 years later after his death. The press called it the most important car never built.
Just goes to show you that sort of thing happens all the time. Just like mine. Officially, GM never built a supercharged 2011 IPC. The 2012 ZL1 was suppose to be the first SC Camaro Produced, but Les Stanford has a lot of clout and pushed to have it made and decided to contact SLP and do a joint build in Michigan. It ended up as a ZL585 with an exterior package delete. The SLP window stick indicates this was car #001 of a run number of 001. All the documentation with the exception of the SLP window sticker (which was never placed on the car) is Chevrolet. All of the exterior badgeing is Chevy too. Officially, my car doesn't exist. But it sits fully documented in my barn for winter.
So I trust your eyes more that what I was told. Heck, who knows if there was more cars at the race, perhaps there are more that 500 cars total. The year (I think it was 1971) that the Dodge Challenger Paced the race, they couldn't get the cars made at the factory, so they bought up all the local white Challengers in Indiannapolis, slapped decals on the side and took them to the race. There was several different engines, transmissions because the Hemi was do hard to find. Matter of fact, I believe that was the year the Pace Car wrecked you spoke about. But it just goes to show what can happen.
Old 11-21-2011, 07:59 AM   #12
pastohio

Thanks 5thgen for posting THE WEBSITE that smky was talking about, I know what IPC stands for, I have some pace cars in my barn....
Old 11-21-2011, 08:08 AM   #13
pastohio

Smky....checked the website you listed, seems to be out of date, don't see a 2010/2011 section....tried to leave a comment and the "contact us" doesn't work....sends you into a computer tizzy...can you help get this repaired ?? I have gone to the site 2011 forum but not too many posting have occured since this summer..
Old 11-21-2011, 08:16 AM   #14
5thGenIndy500

Here is photo proof of the #51 purchased by Jon Bon Jovi...
Attached Images

Tags
2011 camaro convertible, 2011 camaro pace car, supercharged camaro